Sponsored

2021 5.0 oil consumption

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
I can tell you these HP V8 engines do consume oil... with no rhyme or reason for different consumption rates per same block.
If you go on the hemi forums, it's pretty common over there as well. They're pretty much accepted it at this point. The hemi 'tick' aka 'its-eating-its-own-cam' is basically all the watch for over there. 1 to 2 qts over 8,000 miles, I wouldn't be too worried about...
Sponsored

2021FX4x4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0L f150
2021 F150 5.0L 4x4. My check oil light came on at 500 miles. Dealer topped off and said recheck in 1500 miles. 1500 miles later, the oil was at the bottom of the range. They refilled it again and I was told Ford said to recheck after another 1500 miles, was part of break in. Now, with less than 3300 miles, the oil light is on again and the level is low. Truck puffs blue smoke on start up. I haven't towed anything. My truck burns oil like crazy.

Update: Back in the shop with low oil again, this time my service advisor called to say the truck needs a new long block.

Shock82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt V8
Occupation
Pipefitter
I am having the same problem. Started when I notice a nice cloud of blue smoke upon start up at a friends house. Which was embarrassing because its a new truck. Checked then at 2500 miles and was 2qts low. Took it to dealer and they told me they filled it up and I had to check and record the level every 200 miles. I was told that if it burned more than a quart in 3,000 there a problem and less than a quart is normal. Well after 1800 miles it is almost 2 quarts low. They told me they wohld be in touch after the contact Ford. Tailpipe is extra black and it still smoke upon all cold starts and some warm. Also when under a load around 3400-4200 rpms the driverside engine bank is Extremely noisy.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I am having the same problem. Started when I notice a nice cloud of blue smoke upon start up at a friends house. Which was embarrassing because its a new truck. Checked then at 2500 miles and was 2qts low. Took it to dealer and they told me they filled it up and I had to check and record the level every 200 miles. I was told that if it burned more than a quart in 3,000 there a problem and less than a quart is normal. Well after 1800 miles it is almost 2 quarts low. They told me they wohld be in touch after the contact Ford. Tailpipe is extra black and it still smoke upon all cold starts and some warm. Also when under a load around 3400-4200 rpms the driverside engine bank is Extremely noisy.
Hello there. Could you please send over a private message with your VIN and current estimated mileage? I would like to see what I can do to assist with your truck's oil issue.

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
Anyone here, with consumption issues, how did you all break-in your truck? Im wondering if this is related to getting to rings to really seat-in during the first 3k miles...

Sponsored

Roll.Tide

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
When you guys top off oil before the first oil change do you use a pure synthetic or a blend

satchamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 STX
I’m at 4168 miles and oil is still sitting well over half way up the hashes but it’s definitely way darker than the last time I checked.

going to charge my oil to full synthetic next week

Burning5W30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Well...I've got myself an oil burner. I bought the truck in July (custom ordered like most of you folks). From Day 1 I had the puff of blue/white smoke on start. It consumed the first quart by 800 miles. I dutifully took it to the dealer every 1,000 miles to have the oil checked to document the consumption. The dealer put 4.5 qts in over the first 3,600 miles. 1qt every 800 miles. 1 or 2 quarts every 3,000 miles, maybe. 4.5qts, no. Hell, at that rate I'd never have to change the oil.

That said, Ford (corporate) refuses to authorize any repair. The dealer agrees there is an issue. Ford corporate wants the dealer to tear the engine down to look for issues. I guess if I'm lucky I'll end up with a brand new top dollar F150 with a field rebuilt engine. Ford corporate won't even talk to me. I get excuses like "we can't open a case unless the vehicle is physically at a dealership" (how the hell does that make sense?!?) or "we don't have any access to Ford Warranty" (again, how does that make sense? You're Ford.)

It's really disappointing. I really like the truck, other than the oil consumption. I had a 2020 F150 with the 5.0L and it did not burn oil, so it's not all 5.0s. I have no doubt it is a quality issue with loose tolerances. I didn't sweat it at first because I figured it's brand new and under warranty. Boy was I wrong. A Ford warranty doesn't seem to be worth much these days. It's a real shame. I've been a Ford guy since my first '72 Mustang.

NGinuity

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150
I'm having consumption issues as well. 2021 F150 with the 5.0, it was a quart down at 700 miles on the odo, 1400, and it's at 2500 now again low. I thought it was a fluke with the oil level indicator at first but I've fed it 2.5 quarts now. Not getting noticeable blue smoke but I have noticed a bit if speckling on the tailpipe.

Edit:. Wonder upon wonders. 10 minutes after I typed that out I noticed a puff of smoke on startup.

Last edited:

Sponsored

2021FX4x4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0L f150
Final Update: After over 7 weeks, my truck is finally back in action with a new long block. No smoke on start up that I've noticed yet. My truck was found to have low compression in addition to burning oil. Ford wouldn't authorize the repair without a tear down and point of failure, which the dealer did and found multiple faults. Long block took weeks to come in but, once it did, the dealer had it installed in a couple days.

OP
OP

Silurian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0L
I started this thread. I’ve “disposed” of my 2021 F150 5.0l after getting the oil consumption run-around from Ford, 7 trips to dealer in 7000km and no sign of resolution or intent to repair. This was my third and last new F150. I will go out of my way to ensure my family and friends shop elsewhere. I guess you can get a bad engine with any manufacturer, but the run-around to get it repaired rests with Ford. Good luck gents.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Damn, looks like I might be in this boat too.

At 1000 miles it seemed ok. I changed the oil to a full synthetic and made sure it was topped off. Now 2000 miles later the level is down to the bottom hole on the dipstick, whats that a quart low?

EDIT/UPDATE:
Let the truck sit overnight and checked oil before starting: only about 1/2 quart low, I can tolerate that especially since still essentially in a break-in period. Will still be keeping an eye on it.

Last edited:

NGinuity

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150
Damn, looks like I might be in this boat too.

At 1000 miles it seemed ok. I changed the oil to a full synthetic and made sure it was topped off. Now 2000 miles later the level is down to the bottom hole on the dipstick, whats that a quart low?

EDIT/UPDATE:
Let the truck sit overnight and checked oil before starting: only about 1/2 quart low, I can tolerate that especially since still essentially in a break-in period. Will still be keeping an eye on it.
Bottom hole is 2 quarts low.

dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 1991 Mustang GT 2019 Expedition
Checked my Oct build 5.0 oil level last night. 1400 miles and oil is at the top hole. Hopefully I’m lucky. I’m going against my normal protocol and plan on putting several thousand miles on it before I change to a full synthetic.
Sponsored