Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L 302A 5.5 SB
Hey guys,

At roughly 5000 miles I decided to check my oil levels due to concerns outlined in this thread. I checked the levels and it was right below the bottom dot. I WAS SHOCKED! I never got a low oil notification or anything. How could that be happening? I checked the oil life and it said 35% (but that's just a counter counting down every certain number of miles, right? There is nothing that actually tests the quality of oil inside the engine on the fly, or am I wrong?) I contacted Ford and got an appointment for an oil change.

The oil change was today, and I was running late to the appointment so I was driving pretty rough to rush home to grab my spare set of keys and then head to Ford. I noticed a VERY STRONG burning smell that I can only assume was oil. I didn't see any smoke though. So I drove to Ford pretty gingerly. When I got there, they told me I was there a little early for an oil change at 5000mi (normally 7500mi according to them) and I let them know that I checked my levels and they were really low. They did the whole oil change and normal inspection. I didn't get the truck back until after they closed, so I wasn't able to talk to anyone about the issue. I will have to call back tomorrow morning and see if I can talk to anyone.

I'll update tomorrow.

Question: Do you think that strong burning smell was oil burning off? Was it maybe high friction in the engine due to low oil? Let me know your thoughts. I hope that didn't cause any damage.
Sponsored

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
I checked the oil life and it said 35% (but that's just a counter counting down every certain number of miles, right? There is nothing that actually tests the quality of oil inside the engine on the fly, or am I wrong?)
No, there's no way to test the oil, unless you send it off to be looked at and tested. And no, it's more 'advanced' than just a mileage tracker now. It is an (unknown) formula of miles, length of each drive cycle, temperature, stop/go, towing/use, flex fuel, turbo/non, etc.

2021FX4x4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0L f150
2021 F150 5.0L 4x4. My check oil light came on at 500 miles. Dealer topped off and said recheck in 1500 miles. 1500 miles later, the oil was at the bottom of the range. They refilled it again and I was told Ford said to recheck after another 1500 miles, was part of break in. Now, with less than 3300 miles, the oil light is on again and the level is low. Truck puffs blue smoke on start up. I haven't towed anything. My truck burns oil like crazy.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
2021 F150 5.0L 4x4. My check oil light came on at 500 miles. Dealer topped off and said recheck in 1500 miles. 1500 miles later, the oil was at the bottom of the range. They refilled it again and I was told Ford said to recheck after another 1500 miles, was part of break in. Now, with less than 3300 miles, the oil light is on again and the level is low. Truck puffs blue smoke on start up. I haven't towed anything. My truck burns oil like crazy.
There’s a thread with the same story on the ecoboost. In the end Ford replaced his engine. I think your doing the right thing going to the dealer to have it documented. If it doesn’t seat itself in soon I would ask about what needs to happen to get a replacement.

Tyler17

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat
Does anyone know how much oil is in the truck when it starts to register at the bottom of the dip stick? I want to say my old 14 wouldn’t register until i put at least 6qt in it. Id like to know just in case mine gets low. Its at 1000 miles and its right in the middle but I didn’t check it when it was brand new.

Sponsored

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
Does anyone know how much oil is in the truck when it starts to register at the bottom of the dip stick? I want to say my old 14 wouldn’t register until i put at least 6qt in it. Id like to know just in case mine gets low. Its at 1000 miles and its right in the middle but I didn’t check it when it was brand new.
I thought I read somewhere that between the high and low ticks is two quarts. I dont know when the light comes on but at 7.75 qt, Low would be 5.75 qt. That seems about right, mine was at the low mark and I had just a bit more than 5 qts when I changed it.

Edit, I read it on the oil consumption TBS for the 5.0. They dip sticks they swapped out went to a 2 qt rang, and I read somewhere else that all new 5.0s have this 'new' dip stick.

rjpicucci

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew XL
I had the same low oil issue and took it to the dealer. My truck already had some recalls and one of them was to reprogram the computer. They told me that the oil issue was part of the fix. They're also supposed to do an oil change so that one is on them.

I haven't seen it go on in a month and they want me to bring it back next month to verify it's fixed. The oil burning is not normal. See the dealer if you haven't. Make sure they do the recall and do the oil change too.

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
I had the same low oil issue and took it to the dealer. My truck already had some recalls and one of them was to reprogram the computer. They told me that the oil issue was part of the fix. They're also supposed to do an oil change so that one is on them.

I haven't seen it go on in a month and they want me to bring it back next month to verify it's fixed. The oil burning is not normal. See the dealer if you haven't. Make sure they do the recall and do the oil change too.
Do you have the recall or TSB number by chance?

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
Hey everyone, first post here. I am currently on my second RCSB with a 5.0. My first one (2020) was bought back from FoMoCo because of excessive oil consumption. Sadly my second 2021 rcsb is experiencing the same problems as my first one. 2 quarts of oil will be gone by the time i hit 3000 miles. I dont use these trucks to haul/tow anything and Im not redlining/WOT the trucks or anything. Really enjoy my RCSB but is 2 quarts per 3k miles acceptable? Any input helps.
I'm wondering if cylinder deactivation has something to do with oil consumption. Maybe drive in sport mode ( deactivation will not happen ) for a while and see if oil is still down?

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I'm wondering if cylinder deactivation has something to do with oil consumption. Maybe drive in sport mode ( deactivation will not happen ) for a while and see if oil is still down?
Previous post had a 2020, it doesn't have cylinder deactivation.

Sponsored

Wylie-Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0 XLT 4x4 Sport
Took my truck to the dealer today and showed them the video of blue smoke on start up and told them about the low oil warnings.
They changed the oil and said they marked the dipstick and for me to drive it until the oil light comes on again as the first step required by Ford to document oil consumption...
I called the dealer and asked them how long I need to wait to check the oil consumption issue as I live 70 miles from the dealer and don’t want to drive it when it’s low enough for the low oil message to appear. It’s now halfway between the two holes on the dipstick and It’s been 1,800 miles since they changed the oil so they said bring it in and we will check it again.
When they marked the dipstick and changed the oil the first time it looked like they marked the dipstick 1 qt over and filled to the new line.
The truck still smokes on startup and the tech says it was 1-1/2 qts low. I’m thinking it may have been 2-1/2 qts low since it was overfilled. Either way 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 qts of oil consumed in 1,800 miles is not acceptable.
Anyway the service advisor assigned to my case was off so the tech said he would have him give me a call which I’m still waiting for.
Im going to call the dealer again tomorrow and see what the next step is.
I love my truck except for the oil consumption issue.
So far I feel like I’m stuck with a truck that will have emission and ignition problems because of the oil consumption…

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
I called the dealer and asked them how long I need to wait to check the oil consumption issue as I live 70 miles from the dealer and don’t want to drive it when it’s low enough for the low oil message to appear. It’s now halfway between the two holes on the dipstick and It’s been 1,800 miles since they changed the oil so they said bring it in and we will check it again.
When they marked the dipstick and changed the oil the first time it looked like they marked the dipstick 1 qt over and filled to the new line.
The truck still smokes on startup and the tech says it was 1-1/2 qts low. I’m thinking it may have been 2-1/2 qts low since it was overfilled. Either way 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 qts of oil consumed in 1,800 miles is not acceptable.
Anyway the service advisor assigned to my case was off so the tech said he would have him give me a call which I’m still waiting for.
Im going to call the dealer again tomorrow and see what the next step is.
I love my truck except for the oil consumption issue.
So far I feel like I’m stuck with a truck that will have emission and ignition problems because of the oil consumption…
@Ford Motor Company

Bigtwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Roush F-150, 2019 Edge

As a previous owner of a 2013 Boss 302, 2018 and 2019 GT350's I can tell you these HP V8 engines do consume oil... with no rhyme or reason for different consumption rates per same block. All mine consumed... this issue is described ad nauseam on Mustang blogs. It's the nature of the coyote/ roadrunner/ Voodoo/ Predator engine beast. It was explained to me by a retired Ford race team engineer that I spoke to about this issue, that these high revving, high compression, multi cam, V8 engines tend to float the rings under high RPM, or high load and that causes oil consumption. Just keep your oil levels checked. I would suggest going with the Motorcraft, SAE 5W 50 Full Synthetic oil at changes. I just checked my 21, Roush oil level at 900 miles and I see no drop in level. But that could change.
Sponsored