Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
My kit finally arrived on Friday! Thanks to Frank at Stage 3 Motorsports!

2021:2022 Ford Performance:Bilstein Leveling Kit.jpg

The kit includes OEM nuts and bolts so you don't reuse the originals, right down to the axle nut, likely for the 3yr./36mi. warrantee maybe, but still glad get new ones and not reuse the originals.

Only grip is the outer shipping box (UPS was not gentle) could use better box staples and/or use that shipping webbing strap stuff to keep the outer box closed.... very heavy stuff inside!

Next.... install it!
Not gonna lie, that’s a decent set. Too bad they don’t recommend it for Tremors.
Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I installed the rear shocks yesterday, one because they're easy to install and two because I wanted to see how much difference there is if I just replaced the rear. All I can say is wow, but I bet any upgrade shock would be better. There are so many terms owners use regarding suspension operation, so I'll just say my truck feels much better than the OEM "FX4" rear shocks. I wanna say I even have less body roll.... can that be.... They look cool too :cool:

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SCrew 157" Agate Black Lariat 502A
Occupation
CTMO
may have to finally pony up for these...looks great guys! love hearing how you guys feel about these over stock.

BlueKnight

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 RCSB
Occupation
Longshoreman
I installed the rear shocks yesterday, one because they're easy to install and two because I wanted to see how much difference there is if I just replaced the rear. All I can say is wow, but I bet any upgrade shock would be better. There are so many terms owners use regarding suspension operation, so I'll just say my truck feels much better than the OEM "FX4" rear shocks. I wanna say I even have less body roll.... can that be.... They look cool too :cool:
Could you let us know how the install goes on the front coil-overs? I seem to be having an issue installing mine. Top mounting bolts on coil-over not matching bolt holes

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Could you let us know how the install goes on the front coil-overs? I seem to be having an issue installing mine. Top mounting bolts on coil-over not matching bolt holes
Just gotta double check with the "obvious": You know the pattern is asymetrical, and reversed front-to-back for each side, yeah?

Sponsored

BlueKnight

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 RCSB
Occupation
Longshoreman
Just gotta double check with the "obvious": You know the pattern is asymetrical, and reversed front-to-back for each side, yeah?
I think I was sent the wrong product. Parts man checking with their people right now. These coilovers look like the pics I’ve seen online. the top does not align with bottom. Top mount goes in but the bottom mount is way off. If align the bottom the top mount bolts don’t line up with top bolt holes. Outer box said M-18000-F15B. But the smaller individual boxes have different part numbers like 41-322970. Rear shocks fit fine.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Uh oh..... now I'm concerned... I'm planning to install them today or tomorrow... I just looked at my front coil overs.
-The main box has Ford part number: M-18000-F15B.
-The larger white box inside the main box (fronts) is: 41-322967.
-The two individual white boxes inside the larger white box is: 41-322970.

When I researched the coil over leveling kits I saw several that say they will not work on 2022 models. Something about "geometry" changes between 2021 and 2022. So at first I thought maybe that's the issue, but you have a 2021 model. Maybe this kit only works on a 2022 or higher then.... then again this says 2021-2023.....
https://www-performanceparts.app.ford.com/part/M-18000-F15B

I'm going to try and measure my top hat bolt pattern and bottom mounts and compare them....

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Houston we have a problem.... @BlueKnight based on my rough eyeball measuring I have the same issue. As we know the top hat has a triangle shape bolt pattern where one side is shorter than the other two.

Where the coil over attaches to the lower control arm those two bolts are almost parallel (slight turn in on the forward bolt) to the wheel/frame/truck. On the new coil over the Ford Performance and Bilstein stickers are ~perpendicular with the position of the lower attachment point.
Ford F-150 2021-2023 F-150 Ford Performance Leveling Kit (by Bilstein) is released New coil orientation

Measuring my truck, the two top hat bolts closest to me are ~4 1/2".
Ford F-150 2021-2023 F-150 Ford Performance Leveling Kit (by Bilstein) is released OEM coil orientation showing longer distance between top bolts

I then tried to position the new coil over with the lower attachment point/stickers/etc. next to the wheel and measure the two top hat bolts closest to me.... ~3 3/4"
Ford F-150 2021-2023 F-150 Ford Performance Leveling Kit (by Bilstein) is released New coil orientation showing shorter distance between top bolts

I thought this would be easy, silly me :)

So, now what?

Last edited:

BlueKnight

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 RCSB
Occupation
Longshoreman
Houston we have a problem.... @BlueKnight based on my rough eyeball measuring I have the same issue. As we know the top hat has a triangle shape bolt pattern where one side is shorter than the other two.

Where the coil over attaches to the lower control arm those two bolts are almost parallel (slight turn in on the forward bolt) to the wheel/frame/truck. On the new coil over the Ford Performance and Bilstein stickers are ~perpendicular with the position of the lower attachment point.
New coil orientation.jpg

Measuring my truck, the two top hat bolts closest to me are ~4 1/2".
OEM coil orientation showing longer distance between top bolts.jpg

I then tried to position the new coil over with the lower attachment point/stickers/etc. next to the wheel and measure the two top hat bolts closest to me.... ~3 3/4"
New coil orientation showing shorter distance between top bolts.jpg

So, now what? One thought is find a spring compressor, compress the spring, undo the center nut and clock the top hat and spring to position the top hat bolts to the truck. Of course the Bilstein sticker won't line up any more and there will be some trial and error to get it to line up.

I purposely bought a full coil over kit to bolt right in vs the kits that reuse the factory spring and/or top hat.
Well! I thought it was just my luck! I wonder if anyone else experienced this?

BlueKnight

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 RCSB
Occupation
Longshoreman
Installed rears. Great ride; handled ~1/4 of payload capacity really well over highway and unpaved/rocky area.

Biggest improvement by far is the empty ride/drive; soaks up bumps at speed with a dull thud and not a judder with my 275/65/20 KO2s.

*Update*

Not quite a BMW, but very planted and composed with all 4 installed— night and day versus the pucks. The very first thing I noticed was that the truck now stays flat during aggressive acceleration and braking.

The truck is visually similar to what it was with pucks even though rake is less; I retained ~1.5” of rake on the 2” setting (~39.9/~41.4) from ~2.5" prior (~39/~41.5).

*Update*

Cornering is noticeably improved (sweepers); truck has less body roll and holds a tighter line with less effort.

*Update*

Rake is increasing as springs settle; 39.6/41.4 or ~1.8" today.

*Update*

Definitely a firmer all-around ride. I can hear rattles I didn't before, i.e., loose change in the console, some metal items I had in the under-seat storage area, and from the console cover.

Smooth surface highway ride feels about the same as before.

71C61CF2-70F3-4D24-A65B-051BDBB3210E.jpeg
D3849B03-304C-4AD8-B325-CDDE6AF1C9FA.jpeg
Did you have any issues installing front coil overs? Fitment for mine is off.

Sponsored

D40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum
Did you have any issues installing front coil overs? Fitment for mine is off.
I didn't install them; I went to a local 4x4 shop. I've attached some pics of my install and part numbers though.

I hate speculating and I didn't specifically ask them, but looking at my install, they may have repositioned the holes based on you what you guys are saying and what mine looks like.

I can tell you that the Ford Performance sticker on my shock body was chewed up a bit, so I know something unexpected occurred. GL.

Ford F-150 2021-2023 F-150 Ford Performance Leveling Kit (by Bilstein) is released IMG_1759
Ford F-150 2021-2023 F-150 Ford Performance Leveling Kit (by Bilstein) is released IMG_1762
Ford F-150 2021-2023 F-150 Ford Performance Leveling Kit (by Bilstein) is released IMG_1760
Ford F-150 2021-2023 F-150 Ford Performance Leveling Kit (by Bilstein) is released IMG_1764
Ford F-150 2021-2023 F-150 Ford Performance Leveling Kit (by Bilstein) is released IMG_1763

BlueKnight

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 RCSB
Occupation
Longshoreman
I didn't install them; I went to a local 4x4 shop. I've attached some pics of my install and part numbers though.

I hate speculating and I didn't specifically ask them, but looking at my install, they may have repositioned the holes based on you what you guys are saying and what mine looks like.

I can tell you that the Ford Performance sticker on my shock body was chewed up a bit, so I know something unexpected occurred. GL.

IMG_1759.jpeg
IMG_1762.jpeg
IMG_1760.jpeg
IMG_1764.jpeg
IMG_1763.jpeg
Thanks for your reply! I have the exact same boxes with those part numbers. And yes, mine was chewed up too when it arrived.
well, the boxes were. Stickers are fine.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Thanks for your reply! I have the exact same boxes with those part numbers. And yes, mine was chewed up too when it arrived.
well, the boxes were. Stickers are fine.
Assuming your springs are like mine, given our situation, the top hat will have to be clocked, which means the spring has to be turned to keep the spring rubber isolator aligned. But I'm not sure, we may just need to compress the spring, loosen the center nut and turn the top hat, I haven't gotten that far yet....

@D40 Do your springs have Bilstein printed on them? If so, where is it positioned now, towards the front or rear of truck?

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!

IMG_1759.jpeg
I wonder if the shop aligned two of the bolts and drilled a new hole for the third..... The bolt/nut on the left looks like the hole is elliptical even.....

Last edited:

BlueKnight

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 RCSB
Occupation
Longshoreman
Assuming your springs are like mine, given our situation, the top hat will have to be clocked, which means the spring has to be turned to keep the spring rubber isolator aligned. But I'm not sure, we may just need to compress the spring, loosen the center nut and turn the top hat, I haven't gotten that far yet....

@D40 Do your springs have Bilstein printed on them? If so, where is it positioned now, towards the front or rear of truck?
I saw your pics and the springs are positioned just like yours.
Sponsored