First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercab Sport
Occupation
Operations Manager
I have an issue that Ive heard somewhat described by others. I thought I should explain. When pressing the gas pedal to maintain speed from 60mph to 70, my engine sounds very loud. There is a distinctive groan or deep buzz. This is my 3rd 2.7 and second with the 10 speed. I've never had this issue with the others. There is also a distinctive bucking or shudder under acceleration at these speeds. I thought it was the roads, but it happens at these speeds under multiple conditions. I do not feel it at slower speeds. The groan is present at lower speeds but a lesser extent/ volume. Anyone have a similar issue or insight? The truck was flawless up to 1000 miles or so. I was on a flat road and hear a loud "pump" sounds come on. It went away after 30 seconds or so, but after that I now have this strange condition. Drives me crazy because the truck was perfect until that incident. Thanks
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150XLT 2.7
How many miles do you currently have? did you notice which gear you where in when it happened? could be ten speed trans not down shifting to a lower gear when trying to accelerate
try using eco mode on highway, some report it smoothes things out with shifts, or try stepping into the pedal harder to get it to drop gears while accelerating either way it shouldn't be happening. Ive experienced this too not sure if its the adaptive learning on the transmission or not, still trying to sort it out myself
also there's many comments in transmission section about shudder you can read threw others comments!

Last edited:
OP
OP
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercab Sport
Occupation
Operations Manager
How many miles do you currently have? did you notice which gear you where in when it happened? could be ten speed trans not down shifting to a lower gear when trying to accelerate
try using eco mode on highway, some report it smoothes things out with shifts, or try stepping into the pedal harder to get it to drop gears while accelerating either way it shouldn't be happening. Ive experienced this too not sure if its the adaptive learning on the transmission or not, still trying to sort it out myself
also there's many comments in transmission section about shudder you can read threw others comments!
Thank you for the quick reply. I have 5300 miles now. It has been doing it for the last few months. I drive the freeway a ton and do a lot at just under 70mph and its the worst. It goes away when I get off the pedal. Def feels like trans is holding back or not doing something, but it is always in 10th gear.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have an issue that Ive heard somewhat described by others. I thought I should explain. When pressing the gas pedal to maintain speed from 60mph to 70, my engine sounds very loud. There is a distinctive groan or deep buzz. This is my 3rd 2.7 and second with the 10 speed. I've never had this issue with the others. There is also a distinctive bucking or shudder under acceleration at these speeds. I thought it was the roads, but it happens at these speeds under multiple conditions. I do not feel it at slower speeds. The groan is present at lower speeds but a lesser extent/ volume. Anyone have a similar issue or insight? The truck was flawless up to 1000 miles or so. I was on a flat road and hear a loud "pump" sounds come on. It went away after 30 seconds or so, but after that I now have this strange condition. Drives me crazy because the truck was perfect until that incident. Thanks
Hello, Larry!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this noise concern on your F-150. Thanks!

OP
OP
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercab Sport
Occupation
Operations Manager
So I've done more reading on this and found another forum with a similarly stated issue. It was almost verbatim what I described. Seems there may be issue with the ring and pinion. I noticed this morning going up any incline, or when there is any type of load on the truck, it gets rough. The groan I have is getting more noticeable at other speeds. I really dont want to get tied up at the dealer, but thats where Im probably headed. I really hate driving the truck right now. It feels like a tractor

Sponsored

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Could you put an inclinometer app on your phone and check the drive shaft and pinion angles? Another option is to stop by any 4x4 vehicle shop. They should be able to check for bizarre noise and pinion angles for you while you sit back and have a cup of coffee.

FWIW, I really really liked my 2.7L truck. I had a 2016 XLT SC I added the 4A case, TCU and dash switch.

OP
OP
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercab Sport
Occupation
Operations Manager