2.7L MPG hand calculated

AnthemMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Seen all these MPG threads...figured I'd give my road trip update.

Just got back from a trip to Islamorada (817 miles one way). I averaged 22.8MPG hand calculated driving 75mph most of the way on the way down.

I averaged 22.7 hand calculated driving 75mph on the way back north.

Truck is a Supercrew, 4wd, 2.7, and 3.55s. I'm thoroughly impressed, this 2.7L feels peppier than my 2019 oil drinking 5.0L and the most I'd get on that trip hand calculated doing 68-70mph was 17.5mpg. So far I'm extremely impressed with the 2.7L over that 5.0 I had.
Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
The EcoBoosts are great engines, not enough people give them an honest look and “just want a V8” because “trucks need V8s”. If most of them were to try driving a 3.5 I think they’d be amazed by the power.
My favorite is still when I hear people say “I need the V8 for towing” when the EcoBoost has more torque than the V8 they’re touting.

OP
OP
AnthemMike

AnthemMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Haha yeah. When I bought my 2019 I wanted the 5.0 bc I wanted less Hassel with a naturally aspirated engine. But it was consuming so much oil it was absurd (not just 1 qt in 5k, more like 3-3.5qts every 5k which Ford said was normal, along with having the interior ripped out 3x, and a new transmission put in at 37k..truck was a piece of shit). I'm very happy with the 2.7L and wish I did it first time around.

85Mustangman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Supercab/ 6.5 box, 2.7, 302A, Antimatter
Occupation
Retired

Just got back from a trip to Islamorada (817 miles one way). I averaged 22.8MPG hand calculated driving 75mph most of the way on the way down.

Truck is a Supercrew, 4wd, 2.7, and 3.55s. I'm thoroughly impressed, this 2.7L feels peppier than my 2019 oil drinking 5.0L and the most I'd get on that trip hand calculated doing 68-70mph was 17.5mpg. So far I'm extremely impressed with the 2.7L over that 5.0 I had.
That’s really great to hear! I debated long and hard about the 2.7 vs the 3.5 vs the 5.0 and finally selected the 2.7 for a bunch of reasons not the least of which is the fact that in Canada we are currently paying (equivalent) US$6 a gallon here... (now you know why 2.7 sell so well in ??)
Anyway, sounds like you did a real world Calc... did you have any kind of load in the bed?

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
That’s some really good MPG. If you’ve seen some of my posts from similar threads you’ll see I’m getting about what you’re getting with a similar truck except I have a 3.73.
I’ve said it many times, the 2.7 is a great engine. It definitely punches above its weight and is capable of really respectable MPG.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AnthemMike

AnthemMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Not really, just some rods, luggage, cooler, and my tackle box and myself. Nothing to crazy.

OP
OP
AnthemMike

AnthemMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
That’s some really good MPG. If you’ve seen some of my posts from similar threads you’ll see I’m getting about what you’re getting with a similar truck except I have a 3.73.
I’ve said it many times, the 2.7 is a great engine. It definitely punches above its weight and is capable of really respectable MPG.
That's awesome! I will say I didn't get everything in the truck I wanted. Bc the issues I was having with my 5.0. The price I got for that piece of shit was so hard to walk away from but they had a 2.7L (which I knew I wanted), sport with 3.55 and 301a pkg for a steal of a price which I couldn't pass up. I wanted a 302a sport but the closest one to me in a color I wanted was over 1000 miles away and I was not ordering one which would be months to arrive and I had to get out of that 2019 f150. So I had to pull the trigger.

85Mustangman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Supercab/ 6.5 box, 2.7, 302A, Antimatter
Occupation
Retired
The EcoBoosts are great engines, not enough people give them an honest look and “just want a V8” because “trucks need V8s”. If most of them were to try driving a 3.5 I think they’d be amazed by the power.
My favorite is still when I hear people say “I need the V8 for towing” when the EcoBoost has more torque than the V8 they’re touting.
Too right! Couldn’t agree more!
I’ve been buying and driving cars for 40 years and it’s totally marketing and psychology. The Madison Avenue folks have a real grip on our minds.

The first car I bought new was an 85 Mustang HO with the 5.0/ manual 5 speed. For it’s day it was a real ground pounder, but got terrible mileage. It was rated at 210 HP and I thought I was driving F1. Compare to the F150 I have on order...

From an engineering perspective the 2.7 is more than capable with a great torque curve.

As you say, we’ve just got to get over the V8 mindset, that we have to have a V8 in a truck or it’s not a “real” truck.

OP
OP
AnthemMike

AnthemMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Too right! Couldn’t agree more!
I’ve been buying and driving cars for 40 years and it’s totally marketing and psychology. The Madison Avenue folks have a real grip on our minds.

The first car I bought new was an 85 Mustang HO with the 5.0/ manual 5 speed. For it’s day it was a real ground pounder, but got terrible mileage. It was rated at 210 HP and I thought I was driving F1. Compare to the F150 I have on order...

From an engineering perspective the 2.7 is more than capable with a great torque curve.

As you say, we’ve just got to get over the V8 mindset, that we have to have a V8 in a truck or it’s not a “real” truck.
I do miss the sound of the V8...it sounded great with my magnaflow. But I can live without it.

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT
I just ordered a loaded XLT 302A SuperCab with V6 payload package (9.75" rear diff and 3.73 gears). At least 80% of my driving is highway and I typically do 65-70 mph, so I expect to avg 23 mpg. In my opinion, the 2.7 is the best engine currently offered in the F150 because it's designed and built very well, particularly the 2018+ 2ne gen version.
Fun fact: Most people don't know that the 2.7 ecoboost was designed by Ford of Germany specifically for heavy duty use.

Sponsored

Steve the Dude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota

Is the 3.55 the factory default rear for a 4 x 4 2.7? I test drove a 3.31 4 x 4 5.0 tonight and at 70 it's practically idling.

Steve the Dude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I just ordered a loaded XLT 302A SuperCab with V6 payload package (9.75" rear diff and 3.73 gears). At least 80% of my driving is highway and I typically do 65-70 mph, so I expect to avg 23 mpg. In my opinion, the 2.7 is the best engine currently offered in the F150 because it's designed and built very well, particularly the 2018+ 2ne gen version.
Fun fact: Most people don't know that the 2.7 ecoboost was designed by Ford of Germany specifically for heavy duty use.
What does the 9.75 rear do for you? I'm not up on all this. And you still expect to get 23 with a 3.73 gear? Does this package come with heavier duty shocks? I'll never pull over 5000 pounds so I don't need it , right?

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT
What does the 9.75 rear do for you? I'm not up on all this. And you still expect to get 23 with a 3.73 gear? Does this package come with heavier duty shocks? I'll never pull over 5000 pounds so I don't need it , right?
The F150's standard rear diff is 8.8 inch, but trucks with payload or tow packages get the 9.75 inch diff because it's more heavy duty. The 2.7 payload package only includes the larger diff and the 3.73 gears, no other difference. I'm getting this package because I'll be hauling a slide-in camper, but the standard diff is more than enough to tow 5000 pounds.

Gear ratios don't affect fuel economy that much because the 10-speed transmission is pretty good at keeping the engine in its efficiency sweet spot. That said, if you have a lead foot you will get terrible mileage. Ecoboost engines are efficient if you stay out of boost and the opposite if you stay in boost. How you drive it is the biggest factor in determining fuel economy.
Sponsored

Last edited: