Sponsored

2.7L EcoBoost Oil Plug Really Single-Use?

JimmyKumbaya

First Name
JimBob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XL (STX)
Hello all. I've seen a reference to the plastic oil drain plug FT4Z-6730-A being a one-time use part. Can anyone point me to an official Ford site/document that confirms this?

Thanks,

Jim
Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
What? I’ve owned two, 2.7L EB F-150s and have changed my own oil and never once installed a new plug. Maybe I’m doing it wrong. 🙃

OP
OP

JimmyKumbaya

First Name
JimBob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XL (STX)

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
That makes sense to me, but here's one cite:

https://www.ecogard.com/service-professionals-should-be-wary-fords-plastic-oil-pans-drain-plugs/

... and I *think* I've read that elsewhere, too, but it might be one of those cases where multiple people all reference just the one source.
Interesting article. I really had no idea about the issues with the plastic pan and also the plug. Perhaps I’ve been lucky; I have not had any oil leaks in either of my 2.7s.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
With my 2.7L, I had a spare plastic plug on hand but never replaced it.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
has anyone upgraded their oil drain plug ?
If it's a plastic pan -- the only upgrade path for the plug is to first upgrade the pan. Don't go using a metal plug on a plastic pan.

snapper9601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 4x4 Lariat 500A SCrew 2.7EB 145"
has anyone upgraded their oil drain plug ?
I found pretty good reviews on the UPR drain plug.
UPR Ford Easy Oil Drain Valve for Mustang F150 Raptor Edge Explorer (3025-02) (uprproducts.com)

So I installed one at the first oil change at 2500 miles as I was going to be installing the RCI full skid plate package. Removing the OEM plug partially, and metering the oil drain rate by carefully holding the plug partially inserted does prevent oil shooting out 6 feet and out of control. That's what I did on the first oil change. But with the trans skid plate installed, I knew the odds of me draining the oil with the OEM plastic plug as described and not screwing it up making a giant spill all over creation, including on the trans skid plate were exactly zero. The trans skid plate section has a removable oil change panel allowing easy access to the drain plug without having to remove the skid plate. With skid plates and UPR valve installed, I recently did the second oil change at 7500 miles. Following UPR's suggestion, I used a piece of 1/2" ID hose pushed on the barbed drain valve end. Routed the hose over the sway bar, through the skid plate access whole and down into the drain pan. I'll say accessibility through the skid plate access panel was a tad tight because the sway bar goes right across, but it's doable even with my sausage fingers. The drain flow was completely controllable, which is the whole point. I'd say the flow rate was maybe a bit slow, took maybe a few minutes total.

I've had no leaks.

CaliF150

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SuperCrew STX 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Occupation
Software Engineer
I found pretty good reviews on the UPR drain plug.
UPR Ford Easy Oil Drain Valve for Mustang F150 Raptor Edge Explorer (3025-02) (uprproducts.com)

So I installed one at the first oil change at 2500 miles as I was going to be installing the RCI full skid plate package. Removing the OEM plug partially, and metering the oil drain rate by carefully holding the plug partially inserted does prevent oil shooting out 6 feet and out of control. That's what I did on the first oil change. But with the trans skid plate installed, I knew the odds of me draining the oil with the OEM plastic plug as described and not screwing it up making a giant spill all over creation, including on the trans skid plate were exactly zero. The trans skid plate section has a removable oil change panel allowing easy access to the drain plug without having to remove the skid plate. With skid plates and UPR valve installed, I recently did the second oil change at 7500 miles. Following UPR's suggestion, I used a piece of 1/2" ID hose pushed on the barbed drain valve end. Routed the hose over the sway bar, through the skid plate access whole and down into the drain pan. I'll say accessibility through the skid plate access panel was a tad tight because the sway bar goes right across, but it's doable even with my sausage fingers. The drain flow was completely controllable, which is the whole point. I'd say the flow rate was maybe a bit slow, took maybe a few minutes total.

I've had no leaks.
That is very good to know I will read up on this plug. Thanks!
Sponsored