TheRealSOB

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2.7 eco Space White
Hi everyone. First timer here.

Last week I picked up a 2.7 Super Crew in Space White which was on the lot at a local dealer. Absolutely love the truck and I'm super excited.

I'm looking for a straightforward answer on a couple things.

1. What are the actual physical differences between the tow technology package (Class 4 hitch, basically) and the Tow Package?

2. What is the tow capacity of my truck? All the info I've read is super convoluted. Even the post on here about tow capacity is confusing to me. As far as I can tell based on the info in the tow capacity post on this forum, my tow capacity is 6,000 lbs. If someone could please help me answer this question definitively I would greatly appreciate it.

I just want to know. I plan on buying a fishing boat in the future which the truck should easily handle regardless of the answer I receive, but to satisfy my curiosity and ensure I'm being safe I would really like to know what the capactity is.

Thanks in advance. I've enjoyed lurking on the forum to this point and I plan on contributing more now that I actually have the truck in possession.
Sponsored

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
Welcome to the forum!

For #2, I find this is the most straight-forward way to find out. It's a Ford document, and you just look at the table and find the cell that matches your vehicle. You said you're in a 2.7L SuperCrew, so you'll be in the last column in the Conventional Towing section of that document. Then, you just need to look at your window sticker and see what your axle ratio is. From there, you should be able to line up the cell that matches your configuration.

Remember, this is the towing capacity part of the equation - the max you can pull. But, there is the payload component that figures in as well. It is somewhat common to exhaust your payload capacity before your towing capacity. If you have 5 full grown adults in your truck, and 800lbs of gear in the bed, you probably won't have any payload capacity left to carry the weight of the trailer tongue. This is obviously just a hypothetical, but meant to illustrate that there are two components in the equation.

For rough calculations, when looking at a fishing boat and trailer, find out what the boat on the trailer weighs. Most boat documentation will have this information easily accessible - I know it was that way for my Lund. From there, typically, you will have a tongue weight of 10-15% of that boat, motor and trailer weight value. Take that 10-15% number and use it when calculating your payload figures. Oh, and to find your payload capacity, go out to your truck, open your driver door, look on the inside of the door frame, and you'll see two stickers. The yellow and white one with the tire information will have a sentence there about one-third the way down that tells you what your payload capacity is for your vehicle. Cab occupants weight plus bed weight plus any trailer tongue weight added together can't exceed that value per official guidelines.

jdr1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 501A ordered, 16 302A, 17 Mustang EBvert prem
Occupation
retired professional engineer
I struggled with this question quite a bit before ordering my SCREW 501A with 2.7/3.55 gears.

I finally concluded that the best source for the answer is the official 2021 Ford RV and Towing Guide (I believe that is the actual correct title - the "towing guide" part for sure). You need to look in the "conventional towing" section, look for your body style, 2.7 engine, 4WD or 2WD, etc. and then look at the applicable footnotes for your specific line/category.

For the Tow Technology package with Class IV hitch and 2.7 motor (without trailer towing package), you should see a footnote that will say your maximum towing capacity is 6000 pounds. A 4x4 SCREW with 2.7 AND the Trailer Towing Package has a towing capacity of 7700 IIRC, but Payload capacity needs to be considered too. A 6000 pound Towing Capacity should be sufficient for hauling a pretty good size sport fishing boat/outboard/trailer. I'm referring to open style boat, not a cabin cruiser, etc. Heck, my well-appointed 19ft fiberglass bow rider runabout with small block chevy v8/ stern drive and trailer isn't close to 6000lbs! Your new truck weighs less than 6000 lbs too.

Good points above regarding payloads and residual amount of that available to figure as tongue weight on hitch, and all that. Incidently, the Towing Guide says to assume tongue weight of 10% of trailer load weight for payload calculations.

Remember that the way to haul the maximum amount of stuff without exceeding total payload is to load as much into/on your trailer as you can (without exceeding your towing capacity, of course) vs loading everything in the truck. The reason for this is that if all cargo is loaded in the truck, the full weight must be deducted from payload capacity, whereas only 10% of that same weight gets deducted (as extra tongue weight) from your payload capacity when it is loaded in/on the trailer. Keep this in mind. Another tip is to lock out 9th and 10th gears when towing. Your 2.7 motor will likely not work as hard and will deliver better towing fuel economy. Unless you are thinking of a pretty big and heavy boat with a lot more frontal area than your truck, you should be fine!

edit: the OP also asked about physical differences between the Tow Technology Package with Class IV hitch vs. the Trailer Tow Package..........

After doing quite a bit of research on this, I believe the Trailer Tow Package includes a larger/stiffer front sway bar and a higher capacity radiator..........possibly some additional transmission cooling capability too but not really sure about the latter point.
Sponsored

Last edited: