First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SXT 4x4 supercrew 2.7EB
Occupation
Superintendent
I’ve got my truck back from the shop. So far so good. This is my commuter and I drive quite a bit, so this is going to stay a simple build, but I would like a cat back exhaust. This is my first V6 and I think in my 21 years of driving the smallest engine I’ve ever owned. I’d love a little more exhaust sound, but I’m worried I’ll order something that sounds more like a Honda w/ a coffee can than an American V8.

I know the V8 sound is not going to happen, but I’ll keep it stock if Honda w/ a coffee can is my only other option.

I’d be happy with a little more sound, no droning. It’s difficult to tell from a YouTube video.
Anyone have any recommendations they are happy with?
Sponsored

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I’m in the same boat. I’m considering a resonator delete, but a couple folks say this will throw a CEL and negativity affect fuel economy.

I had a ‘2019 Ranger that I put an AWE Crawler exhaust on, and it definitely gave it a MUCH deeper note - nothing like a Honda - more like an old Farmall tractor… 🤪. I thought it sounded a little goofy, but I still liked it more than the factory silence.

RLTW175

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 SCrew, STX 5.0
Occupation
Fire Starter/Meat Burner turned Sales Guy (but I still light fires)
Cobb is a great choice. I bought the MBRP 3" installer series side exit (off a forum member) and absolutely love it. Its not too loud or obnoxious, but does have a little throatiness with no drone at freeway speeds.

RVSlav

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hold for F150 Lariat 2021... Order 24 march 2
Occupation
Retired
Start by changing an air filter with a high performance K&N and you will already notice a better sound and also a slight fuel gain!!

Sponsored

OP
OP

MDmann

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Superintendent
Start by changing an air filter with a high performance K&N and you will already notice a better sound and also a slight fuel gain!!
Really, from an air filter?

RVSlav

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hold for F150 Lariat 2021... Order 24 march 2
Occupation
Retired
I did it and I saw a difference, ok it's probably not what you're looking for but it's already much better than the original filter.
In terms of fuel economy I have a gain of 1 to 1.5 liters better with Super 93 Octane

OP
OP

MDmann

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Superintendent
Filter element or a whole cold air intake?
I’m always on board with getting something that can improve fuel economy.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
For my 20 Ranger I swapped out the stock muffler for a 3" Dynomax Super Turbo. It flowed a lot better than stock and added a very nice deep mellow exhaust note to the truck with no brappy fart can noise or annoying drone at freeway speeds. Driving around town it was only really audible in parking garages or freeway underpasses. Something very hard to achieve with a 4 banger. Later when I went full 3" turbo back keeping the same muffler and it made a little more noise that you could hear in the house at startup but once the EGR cycled closed it quieted down considerably to near stock levels. Driving next to it you could hear it, but only enough to let you know it was there.

The Dynomax mufflers have been around for ever and last a long time. As they age they do get a little louder as the internal fiberglass insulation breaks down some, but never to the point of excessiveness.

Filter element or a whole cold air intake?
I’m always on board with getting something that can improve fuel economy.
Just the drop in will do. The stock airbox design is really good and most aftermarket versions make little to no additional power over the K&N drop in. CAI on a turbo is basically a waste of money anyway since the turbo negates any benefit they provide the second the intake charge is compressed. You're better off spending the extra money on an aftermarket intercooler than a CAI.

Just be sure to not saturate the filter with oil when cleaning it. A very light application of charge oil is all that's needed on the outboard side of the filter. If you soak it with oil then it will gum up the intake piping and compressors.

Last edited:

Darkjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, CR-V
Occupation
God of Tech
I did the 4in mbrp 4in side exit and I hated it (super loud). So I took it off and then got the Borla touring. The Borla is a deeper sound, but not very loud. So if anyone wants a MBRP and loves the loudness I have one in near new condition.

Sponsored

musman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 , 2022 Edge ST, 2017 Shelby GT350
I went with Magnaflow and a custom out the rear, sounds great for a V6

C98DFEB7-7E6B-4DD9-AFC9-8081A107B5D1.jpeg
Yeah i know, bringing this thread from the abbiss….could you post a sound clip of your set-up and info on what Magnaflow set up you went with ?
Thanks

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
Yeah i know, bringing this thread from the abbiss….could you post a sound clip of your set-up and info on what Magnaflow set up you went with ?
Thanks
Last seen almost a year ago, doubtful you’ll get a reply :(

Too bad, looks like a nice setup.

WillM94

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Ford Service Advisor
Went with the BORLA ATAK dual rear exit, couldn’t be happier with how it turned out I can get sound clips if anyone is interested

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7
I did the 4in mbrp 4in side exit and I hated it (super loud). So I took it off and then got the Borla touring. The Borla is a deeper sound, but not very loud. So if anyone wants a MBRP and loves the loudness I have one in near new condition.
I was considering the Borla Touring! Any chance you have any videos of your truck with it?
Sponsored