2.7 EB Payload Package- why so rare?

Donnelly713

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I'm finding it hard to locate these packages on 2021 XLT's, does anyone know why this is such an unpopular package?

Requires:
• 2.7L V6 EcoBoost® Engine
• Trailer Tow Package
Includes:
• 3.73 Electronic-Locking Rear-Axle
• 9.75" Gearset

#6900, tow capacity around 10,000.

I've been heavily considering *factory ordering it over the more common 3.55/8.8, but I can't even find one w/ the payload package to test drive. can anyone speak to how they may drive different or will I not notice much of a difference. (in which case I'd take the extra capacity of the Payload Package). for those that have it on theirs, happy with the decision?

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
It’s likely unpopular because it makes sense.

Most of the builds on lots are either fully loaded trims, or bizarrely optioned XL/XLT builds. It’s almost as if they don’t want anyone getting the lower trim trucks.

Might have to try out some trucks that are close to what you want and place an order.

That’s what I had to do for my regular cab.

Good luck!

Saxt15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XLT Sport SE
I put the payload package on my 2.7L XLT build. Coming from a 3.5EB on my 2018, adding the payload package seemed like piece of mind, even though I won't be towing as much or as far anymore.

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
That is exactly what I ordered. I was looking within 300 miles for an Oxford white version. I only found 1 and it happened to be 2wd so I special ordered one. Special order is the way to go. You get exactly what you want you just have to wait for it.

One thing I don't understand is the abundance of FX4 Packages. I was strictly staying away from that package due to its ride quality and the fact that the only thing I might possible every need from that package is the skid plates.

Max Payload for my build is 1664
GVWR is 6900
GCWR is 15400

VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS

Series
F-150
Trim
XLT
Cab
SuperCrew
Model
Wheel Base
Engine
2.7L EcoBoost V6
Box
5.5'
Axel Ratio
3.73 EL
Payload Package
2.7L Payload Package
Drive
4X4
Trailer Tow Package

No Sunroof and yes to spray in liner. Just for an idea.

Last edited:

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
Also I assume if people think they need the payload package they upgrade to the 3.5. The 2.7 will be perfect for me for the times I tow a small bought, I just wanted the extra payload cause you know your always loading that thing up with people and junk.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Donnelly713

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
That is exactly what I ordered. I was looking within 300 miles for an Oxford white version. I only found 1 and it happened to be 2wd so I special ordered one. Special order is the way to go. You get exactly what you want you just have to wait for it.

One thing I don't understand is the abundance of FX4 Packages. I was strictly staying away from that package due to its ride quality and the fact that the only thing I might possible every need from that package is the skid plates.

Max Payload for my build is 1664
GVWR is 6900
GCWR is 15400

VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS

Series
F-150
Trim
XLT
Cab
SuperCrew
Model
Wheel Base
Engine
2.7L EcoBoost V6
Box
5.5'
Axel Ratio
3.73 EL
Payload Package
2.7L Payload Package
Drive
4X4
Trailer Tow Package

No Sunroof and yes to spray in liner. Just for an idea.
yes I agree the FX4 package harshens ride noticeably. the skid plates I hear you can get better aftermarket on anyway. that's a great build there!

OP
OP

Donnelly713

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Also I assume if people think they need the payload package they upgrade to the 3.5. The 2.7 will be perfect for me for the times I tow a small bought, I just wanted the extra payload cause you know your always loading that thing up with people and junk.
yes makes sense people prolly upgrade to larger engines but then you take a hit on mpg non towing (majority of time). for me too, believe a 2.7 will tow a 18-21' CC no issues, but I like the idea for a few hundred bucks, gaining more capacity and several hundred more pounds of payload. I'm not a mechanic but would rather tow 50-60% of my capacity than 80 or 90%.

Roughin'it

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Expedition, 2015 F150 Lariat
Hello - I am currently looking at a few 2021 builds and couldn't seem to find the Payload Package option for the 2.7 after reading this thread I figured maybe because I was looking at Lariat trims.

Sure enough, when I changed my trim to XLT there was the payload package option. So it would appear that the payload package for 2.7eb is not available for the Lariat trim even though the Lariat trim comes standard with 2.7eb. I don't tow near 10,000 for personal use but payload on a week+ long fishing trip will likely be an issue.

Does anyone happen to know why the payload package doesn't show up as an option on Lariat trim?

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
Hello - I am currently looking at a few 2021 builds and couldn't seem to find the Payload Package option for the 2.7 after reading this thread I figured maybe because I was looking at Lariat trims.

Sure enough, when I changed my trim to XLT there was the payload package option. So it would appear that the payload package for 2.7eb is not available for the Lariat trim even though the Lariat trim comes standard with 2.7eb. I don't tow near 10,000 for personal use but payload on a week+ long fishing trip will likely be an issue.

Does anyone happen to know why the payload package doesn't show up as an option on Lariat trim?
I don’t know for sure but I assume it’s the weight of the added equipment of the Lariat won’t allow for the payload package.

Sponsored

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
yes I agree the FX4 package harshens ride noticeably. the skid plates I hear you can get better aftermarket on anyway. that's a great build there!
Thank you, I’m super excited feel like I got everything I wanted and didn’t have to pay for stuff I didn’t want like the sunroof. They are throwing that on a lot of builds also.

Predator

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2019 Escape
Does a 2.7 with just the gear upgrade to 3.73 electronic locking rear axle come with the 9.75 gearset

Roughin'it

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Expedition, 2015 F150 Lariat
I don’t know for sure but I assume it’s the weight of the added equipment of the Lariat won’t allow for the payload package.
I thought about that but then that would be equivalent to saying "we can't add anything to make your vehicle take 300 pounds more payload because you your vehicle has already used too much of the lower payload..." and I could of sworn that I saw it on 2020 Lariats.

Well, having known I saw 2020 Lariat's with 2.7 payload package when I was looking in December I did a little more research and for 2020 in CANADA you could add the 2.7 payload package on the Lariats; it was not an option in US for that model year. It would now appear that that is no longer an option in either Country now. I confirmed it by using both country's build tool on their respective Ford sites for 2020 model year.

I guess I shouldn't be too upset, I was debating which engine to go with and it would seem the 2.7 is firmly out of the question now due to payload concerns. Anything sub 1500 before any after market bolt-ons, just won't cut it.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Does a 2.7 with just the gear upgrade to 3.73 electronic locking rear axle come with the 9.75 gearset
My 2.7 with 3.73 came with the 9.75. I do not have the HDPP or Max Tow. I do have the FX4 and standard tow. I really expected to get the 8.8 rear to be honest.
Sponsored