First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Great trip. Thanks for posting. I'm curious - what is your payload rating on the diesel and how does it compare with the EB? I have a new KR PB with a dismal payload rating of only 1,140 lbs, and have heavy towing requirements, but am limited to a half ton truck in my Florida HOA, so had to trade in the powerstroke F-350 that got great mpg and huge range with its 46 gal tank. Thinking I should maybe have gone with the powerstroke engine after getting only 5.5 mpg towing with the powerboost.
Sponsored

James Dean

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4. 2015 Corvette 2018 Ford Explorer
Just got home late last night after buying my new 3.0 Powerstroke in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and driving it home to West Sacramento, CA. Fully loaded except the work surface (super tempted to swap the one on my 3.5 EB in to this one). My thoughts:

This truck is a smooth road trip beast. I never grew tired or weary of driving it, just had fatigue from sitting and driving like most do.
The truck handled the road trip with easy, especially the hill. Areas were my Eco-boost would need to downshift, the truck didn't change a gear.
Fuel economy stats: I wish I had written down more detailed numbers on paper, but,

Tank 1: 29.2 MPG (all calculated at the pump btw)
Tank 2: 24.42 (higher speeds in Nebraska and Wyoming and hills and some city driving detours in Utah)
Tank 3: 26.7 (slowed down a bit but strong head winds in Nevada and the mountains coming into California)

Overall, really happy with the purchase and couldn't recommend the 3.0 more highly!

Beautiful truck. I was curious about the real MPG. Thanks for an excellent video.

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
Great trip. Thanks for posting. I'm curious - what is your payload rating on the diesel and how does it compare with the EB? I have a new KR PB with a dismal payload rating of only 1,140 lbs, and have heavy towing requirements, but am limited to a half ton truck in my Florida HOA, so had to trade in the powerstroke F-350 that got great mpg and huge range with its 46 gal tank. Thinking I should maybe have gone with the powerstroke engine after getting only 5.5 mpg towing with the powerboost.
Wow only 1,140 lbs!? Yikes, I thought my 1,441 was bad.

I too am curious about the PowerStroke Payload #?

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Beautiful trucks..I’m here waiting for my star white platinum powerboost meanwhile you have 2 white ones! Super jealous!

Enjoy all your photos and videos! Well done ?
Thank you! Hopefully yours arrives soon!

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Wow only 1,140 lbs!? Yikes, I thought my 1,441 was bad.

I too am curious about the PowerStroke Payload #?
About 1200lb I think. Or 1250. Will need to double check.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I think my payload is like 1200 or something. Not much. I plan to add airbags in the back in time. The powerstroke is definitely the best choice for MPG across the lineup but lack of pro power is a huge bummer for me tbh. Not sure how the 3.0 will fair under towing.

McKitrick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 F-150 Screw 4x Hybrid Platinum
Occupation
Sales
I wish my eco boost did numbers like that lol. Having really high range is nice. I’m tempted to upgrade the fuel tank to 41 gallons on the powerstroke to crack 1000 miles of range.
How would you do this? I've been looking for a larger tank...

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I think I read somewhere that between 65 miles and 80 mph, wind speed resistance nearly doubles against a large vehicle. I vaguely remember reading that somewhere but I could be wrong. Either way, it’s interesting to know just how much of a factor it plays.
Wind resistance increases with the cube of speed. So 80 MPH has 1.86x as much wind resistance as 65 MPH if my math is correct.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
How would you do this? I've been looking for a larger tank...
From the videos I’ve seen, it only takes about a couple hours. It’s just swapping it out
Sponsored