First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Just got home late last night after buying my new 3.0 Powerstroke in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and driving it home to West Sacramento, CA. Fully loaded except the work surface (super tempted to swap the one on my 3.5 EB in to this one). My thoughts:

This truck is a smooth road trip beast. I never grew tired or weary of driving it, just had fatigue from sitting and driving like most do.
The truck handled the road trip with easy, especially the hill. Areas were my Eco-boost would need to downshift, the truck didn't change a gear.
Fuel economy stats: I wish I had written down more detailed numbers on paper, but,

Tank 1: 29.2 MPG (all calculated at the pump btw)
Tank 2: 24.42 (higher speeds in Nebraska and Wyoming and hills and some city driving detours in Utah)
Tank 3: 26.7 (slowed down a bit but strong head winds in Nevada and the mountains coming into California)

Overall, really happy with the purchase and couldn't recommend the 3.0 more highly!

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Nice truck! Not sure how you and some others get that sort of mileage. Even with a really light foot I can’t ever get more than 22-23 mpg.

Edit: just realized you have a power stroke, not a Powerboost, like I have.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nice truck! Not sure how you and some others get that sort of mileage. Even with a really light foot I can’t ever get more than 22-23 mpg.

Edit: just realized you have a power stroke, not a Powerboost, like I have.
Haha it’s all good. I commute A LOT so the powerstroke was the best choice for me. The powerboost is an absolute beast tho

Mr Baloo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Plat, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
CPA
Powerboost Owner.. and it is funny how the mileage will differ a good bit from 68 to 74 miles per hour.. Is it worth it? who knows....

I love my powerboost.. Ususally get 23ish going 75 and 27ish going 60.... But love telling my friends that I normally get over 600 miles per tank!

Sponsored

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Powerboost Owner.. and it is funny how the mileage will differ a good bit from 68 to 74 miles per hour.. Is it worth it? who knows....

I love my powerboost.. Ususally get 23ish going 75 and 27ish going 60.... But love telling my friends that I normally get over 600 miles per tank!
I didn’t pay as much attention as I should have in high school physics, but I think drag is logarithmic and increases more rapidly at high speeds, so your drag increases (and thus fuel efficiency decreases) significantly more from 65-70 than from 30-35. This problem is universal and supposedly the push to lower speed limits to 55 was during the gas crisis in the 70’s in a effort to dramatically reduce fuel consumption.

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
Just got home late last night after buying my new 3.0 Powerstroke in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and driving it home to West Sacramento, CA. Fully loaded except the work surface (super tempted to swap the one on my 3.5 EB in to this one). My thoughts:
I've enjoyed watching all the videos on your previous 3.5. It looks great with the level and tire/wheel combo, but I know all about what it does to fuel economy. I have my 2020 3.5EB leveled and typically only average 15mpg combined. I plan to leave the new Powerboost stock for awhile after I get it, just to see what its capable of.

Congrats on finding the specific truck you were looking for, and getting to experience a little bit of Iowa at the same time...ha! I'm sure you saw enough corn and soybeans to last you a lifetime!

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

I wish my eco boost did numbers like that lol. Having really high range is nice. I’m tempted to upgrade the fuel tank to 41 gallons on the powerstroke to crack 1000 miles of range.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I didn’t pay as much attention as I should have in high school physics, but I think drag is logarithmic and increases more rapidly at high speeds, so your drag increases (and thus fuel efficiency decreases) significantly more from 65-70 than from 30-35. This problem is universal and supposedly the push to lower speed limits to 55 was during the gas crisis in the 70’s in a effort to dramatically reduce fuel consumption.
I think I read somewhere that between 65 miles and 80 mph, wind speed resistance nearly doubles against a large vehicle. I vaguely remember reading that somewhere but I could be wrong. Either way, it’s interesting to know just how much of a factor it plays.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I've enjoyed watching all the videos on your previous 3.5. It looks great with the level and tire/wheel combo, but I know all about what it does to fuel economy. I have my 2020 3.5EB leveled and typically only average 15mpg combined. I plan to leave the new Powerboost stock for awhile after I get it, just to see what its capable of.

Congrats on finding the specific truck you were looking for, and getting to experience a little bit of Iowa at the same time...ha! I'm sure you saw enough corn and soybeans to last you a lifetime!
Don’t even get me started on how much corn and soy beans I drove by! Thank you! I’m definitely going to miss my eco boost. I do plan to level the powerstroke and get the same wheels, it’s choosing the rubber that I’m having a hard part with. I want to keep the stock height but maybe just add a little bit of width. Not sure how the Toyota at3 compares to the nitto in fuel economy.

Sponsored

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
Don’t even get me started on how much corn and soy beans I drove by! Thank you! I’m definitely going to miss my eco boost. I do plan to level the powerstroke and get the same wheels, it’s choosing the rubber that I’m having a hard part with. I want to keep the stock height but maybe just add a little bit of width. Not sure how the Toyota at3 compares to the nitto in fuel economy.
I'm running light weight and narrow 275/60/20 BFG KO2's on my current '20. I'm fairly convinced that the change in aerodynamics by leveling the front has played a bigger role in the fuel consumption for me. That being said, I'll eventually level the new truck and put taller and wider tires on it and kill the fuel economy. Cool factor has a price I guess. :cool:

Keep posting your vids on YouTube. I always enjoy watching good F150 content!

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'm running light weight and narrow 275/60/20 BFG KO2's on my current '20. I'm fairly convinced that the change in aerodynamics by leveling the front has played a bigger role in the fuel consumption for me. That being said, I'll eventually level the new truck and put taller and wider tires on it and kill the fuel economy. Cool factor has a price I guess. :cool:

Keep posting your vids on YouTube. I always enjoy watching good F150 content!
That’s the problem for me right now. I want to keep the fuel economy but I also want the 34 inch tires lol. And thank you!

Way2qk4u2c

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 2015 Mustang GT
Occupation
Network admin
Beautiful trucks..I’m here waiting for my star white platinum powerboost meanwhile you have 2 white ones! Super jealous!

Enjoy all your photos and videos! Well done ?
Sponsored