18 months old, 15K miles... major battery issues

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
I've had my truck since late December '20, so it is a Job 1 '21. I had not had any issues with the battery until March of '22. My OTA update was failing and Ford told me that the battery didn't have enough charge. Ultimately Ford sent an engineer to my local dealership, updated all the software and said the battery wasn't an issue. They claimed that instead it was a software bug incorrectly reporting the battery as bad.

Fast forward to last Friday - my wife goes to drive the truck and it won't unlock for her. The battery was completely dead. I jumped, drove it around, but the next morning it was dead again. I then had it towed to the dealership. They confirmed that the battery was completely dead and ordered a new one. Yesterday they installed a new one. They also told me that they updated all the software, which doesn't make sense to me since my software was already up to date. I go to pick up the truck from the dealership this morning and surprise, surprise - the brand new battery is already dead!

Dealership is now working to try and find what is causing the battery to drain...
Sponsored

OP
OP
YzermanTopShelf

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Ford Motor Company in case you want to help, my dealership is Serramonte Ford in Colma, CA and my VIN is 1FTFW1E87MFA28152

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
Dealership already replaced my battery after 3 months. My PB was built in Nov. 21.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
mine was just replaced becasue it failed because it failed to maintain state of charge and it was wrong size as specified in fords specification build sheets.
it was a 760 cca vice the 800cca.
i have had the new battery in just over a week and ZERO issue now with it loosing charge, even after opening and closing truck a whole lot doing the dash cam install,
in fact it dropped to 68% and while i was idling to log the camera in and set it up (20 mins or so) it recharged fully to 95% state of charge as indicated on battery charger i put on afterwards to make sure i had a full charge , sanity check.
the chart below specifies the correct size as per ford build on lariats and above
the ford rep on this site ..imo was very helpful in positive resolution. my dealer didnt blink about gettign it fixed right.

Ford F-150 18 months old, 15K miles... major battery issues battery

OP
OP
YzermanTopShelf

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@powerboatr did you have to pay for the 800 battery or was it covered by you warranty?

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
The dreaded phantom battery drain.

My truck was built 11/24/20. January 1st of 2021 was my first completely dead battery. Jumped it and made it to the dealership. They charged it and told me GTG. One month later dead again. This time the battery was replaced. It has been good since. Plenty of software updates since the battery was replaced so hard to say the exact cause.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief

Sponsored

OP
OP
YzermanTopShelf

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Heard from the dealership today that they ordered a new APIM. No ETA on delivery. Kind of killing me at this point. I need my truck for work...

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Care & feeding of lead acid batteries... The OEM battery is an AGM Absorbed Glass Mat battery. But still in the end it is a lead acid type. I'm still learning about these. What I have known, from my experience in the Submarine world, is that on installing and wetting down a lead acid battery it is good to put it on a low amp, long term charge. Get a charger specifically for AGM batteries and do a long low amp charge. I had some minor glitches with mine at about 3 months. This happened over Thanksgiving Weekend so I bought a NAPA AGM specified for the 21 Powerboost and then put it on that low rate, long term charge. Mine went for some 12 hours before the charger showed fully charged at the 2 AMP rate. Not a peep out of the battery since. Had the dealer check out the OEM battery and it came up fine in their checks... Still, I'm glad I got the NAPA AGM battery & AGM charger.

Russellb

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
mine was just replaced becasue it failed because it failed to maintain state of charge and it was wrong size as specified in fords specification build sheets.
it was a 760 cca vice the 800cca.
i have had the new battery in just over a week and ZERO issue now with it loosing charge, even after opening and closing truck a whole lot doing the dash cam install,
in fact it dropped to 68% and while i was idling to log the camera in and set it up (20 mins or so) it recharged fully to 95% state of charge as indicated on battery charger i put on afterwards to make sure i had a full charge , sanity check.
the chart below specifies the correct size as per ford build on lariats and above
the ford rep on this site ..imo was very helpful in positive resolution. my dealer didnt blink about gettign it fixed right.

battery.jpg
I just sent this to my service guy, I also have the 760 CCA in my Lariat...they are trying the "reprogram" thing saying the battery is good. Hope to get the truck back today. We'll see if the email even gets a response. Thanks for the info!

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
I took delivery of my Lariat 1/22 and the battery started dying 2 months later and finally would go into deep sleep within a few hrs of a several hr drive.
It never did leave me stranded or even slow down the cranking but was around 11.7V over night.
Replaced under warranty with another 760CCA battery. My build sheet doesn't seem to list battery size so I cant argue to get a bigger one.
It seems there may have been a run of bad batteries.

Darrell
Sponsored