Sponsored

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
I witnessed this happen once on 75 going through Allen TX about a decade ago. It was a Dodge Ram dually pulling a trailer going southbound, my wife and I were in an F-150 going northbound, there is a concrete divider in the middle. I see a wheel/tire pop way up in the air, I'm spouting off obscenities as my wife wonders what I see. I floor it, it bounced behind us about 10 meters. I keep watching the rear view to see the second landing - right in the middle of another Ram dually. Caved in the front end, coolant instantly dumped on the road. Nobody hurt but very much could have been if it landed on a cab, or hit a motorcycle. Wish I had a dashcam then!
Yeah runaway/rogue wheels from poorly maintained semi trucks are more of a problem that people realize.

I don’t want to hijack Platinum Peasants thread but here are some still photos from my ordeal.

As you can see it hit me real low. Otherwise things would have been different for me. The only injury I sustained was to my left ear from the noise of the fully inflated semi wheel and tire exploding. I had damage to my eardrum.

My front left tire took most of the impact. The body faired surprisingly well but the suspension and frame were toast. The truck was a total loss.

By the time I left, there were 2 city cop cars, 2 state troopers and even DOT was there.

I stayed in contact with the first trooper on scene for quite a while and he told me that DOT was using my video and accident in general as training. The cops also used my video for a while too.

Ford F-150 $18,000 in damage from freeway debris… 04D5E38F-1ABA-479F-88FE-C7689F5A4426

Ford F-150 $18,000 in damage from freeway debris… DC89BFB7-784D-455A-9222-32BEBE659C6B

Ford F-150 $18,000 in damage from freeway debris… 0A4A1C76-C803-420E-8F70-6157C79CE052
Sponsored

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
As the post indicates the value of having an insurance policy depends greatly on the company behind it. When my house was badly damaged in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake I needed to pay an attorney to get anything from State Farm and all his clients with simlar issues also had policies with State Farm Insurance.

A fad in my area is having tires extend a couple inches past the fenders and this is illegal but the laws are never enforced in California. I have had to pay to replace 3 windshields as a result of rock damage from pickup trucks tossing up rocks on the highway. The standard Toyota pickups used to have mudguards straight from the factory but now these are additional cost and most people really don't give a damn about others on the road.
Exactly. Very well said.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of trusting Wawanesa insurance (CA only for auto) and it’s been a nightmare. They denied coverage for the headlights, windshield, and paint damage to roof. I’ll be filing complaints this week with CA department of insurance.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yeah runaway/rogue wheels from poorly maintained semi trucks are more of a problem that people realize.

I don’t want to hijack Platinum Peasants thread but here are some still photos from my ordeal.

As you can see it hit me real low. Otherwise things would have been different for me. The only injury I sustained was to my left ear from the noise of the fully inflated semi wheel and tire exploding. I had damage to my eardrum.

My front left tire took most of the impact. The body faired surprisingly well but the suspension and frame were toast. The truck was a total loss.

By the time I left, there were 2 city cop cars, 2 state troopers and even DOT was there.

I stayed in contact with the first trooper on scene for quite a while and he told me that DOT was using my video and accident in general as training. The cops also used my video for a while too.

04D5E38F-1ABA-479F-88FE-C7689F5A4426.jpeg

DC89BFB7-784D-455A-9222-32BEBE659C6B.jpeg

0A4A1C76-C803-420E-8F70-6157C79CE052.jpeg
Why are you hijacking my thread? LOL jk

your photos only solidify my desire to get a dash cam once the truck is done, hopefully end of next week!

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Why are you hijacking my thread? LOL jk

your photos only solidify my desire to get a dash cam once the truck is done, hopefully end of next week!
A dashcam is a must. On my new truck I went with a Viofo A139 2 channel. It was an absolute piece of cake to install. The Dongar Tech mirror adapter wasn’t in stock when I purchased all my components, but it is now. That adapter makes the install even easier.

Here is everything I recommend.

Dongar mirror adapter

Viofo A139 2 channel cam

Sandisk High Efficiency 256G card

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Reactions: DK4

Sponsored

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Thank you for this!!!
No prob. Let me know if you have any questions.

Pulling power for the cams from the rear view mirror (or overhead console) makes it real easy because you don’t have to run any wires down either a-pillar and mess around under the dash.

Then all that’s left is to run the rear camera wire. I was able to just simply tuck it down between the headliner and the plastic trim all along the drivers side and upper windshield. Didn’t have to remove anything.

The cable for the rear cam will be about 5 feet longer than it needs to be. I just put all the extra slack down inside the plastic trim behind the driver side rear seatbelt area.

Here are some photos. I tapped into power in the overhead console, otherwise you would see the Dongar adapter behind the rear view mirror.

Ford F-150 $18,000 in damage from freeway debris… 5752697B-BA03-40CA-9266-1C6368F74BDC

Ford F-150 $18,000 in damage from freeway debris… F62C38A5-AB2F-42B1-8C1B-4ABCC4C348CF

Ford F-150 $18,000 in damage from freeway debris… B93E11B1-72B1-47C1-AF96-30DA56A2E41F

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Dashcams may help if there is a dispute as to who was at fault and ones heirs may benefit from the settlement.

With my 3 broken windshields it would have been extremely hazardous to try to catch up to the offender and then hope they are not going to use their truck as a weapon or pull a firearm out of the glovebox.

I was involved in a hit and run and the cops refused to cite the woman stating that she was trying to take her passenger to the hospital. I pointed out to the cop that she was driving in the opposite direction of the hospital but the cop blew me off as he did not in a hurry to get to a donut shop (actualy most cops die as a result of a poor diet) .

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I was involved in a hit and run and the cops refused to cite the woman stating that she was trying to take her passenger to the hospital. I pointed out to the cop that she was driving in the opposite direction of the hospital but the cop blew me off as he did not in a hurry to get to a donut shop (actualy most cops die as a result of a poor diet) .
Most police won't assign fault anymore unless it's clear and obvious, they just write up a generic report and let the insurance companies figure it out.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
No prob. Let me know if you have any questions.

Pulling power for the cams from the rear view mirror (or overhead console) makes it real easy because you don’t have to run any wires down either a-pillar and mess around under the dash.

Then all that’s left is to run the rear camera wire. I was able to just simply tuck it down between the headliner and the plastic trim all along the drivers side and upper windshield. Didn’t have to remove anything.

The cable for the rear cam will be about 5 feet longer than it needs to be. I just put all the extra slack down inside the plastic trim behind the driver side rear seatbelt area.

Here are some photos. I tapped into power in the overhead console, otherwise you would see the Dongar adapter behind the rear view mirror.

5752697B-BA03-40CA-9266-1C6368F74BDC.jpeg

F62C38A5-AB2F-42B1-8C1B-4ABCC4C348CF.jpeg

B93E11B1-72B1-47C1-AF96-30DA56A2E41F.jpeg
This setup definitely looks like the one for me!! Loving it! Thanks!

Reactions: DK4
OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Anyone know a good lawyer? Looks like my insurance company is denying nearly $9000 in damages, claiming it was “already there”. No explanation, no proof, nothing.
Sponsored