First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Retired
We had to have it towed to the Ford dealer in Lincoln NE yesterday. Once again, a battery issue. Wouldn't start, nothing, nada. AAA came and jumped it, said the battery (which they put in 5 weeks ago) was down to nothing. Jump worked, and while trying to remove the "tow enabled" mode, stopped and started about 10 more times. Trouble this time, though, wouldn't release "tow enabled" mode. Had to call AAA back to be towed in. Bear in mind, we don't live here. We are staying with friends, and can't even talk to Ford until Tuesday. Also, this is the SECOND F 150 that we have had issues with. The 2019 needed a new transmission at 6 months, nav system went out about 6 months later, and the emergency braking system failed as well. Why did I get another Ford? Beats the heck out of me, but I've NEVER had issues like this before! Not with another F 150, and 2 Lincoln MKS's. Why now? We have no idea what is even wrong. I read about electrical issues (clearly we have those gremlins), and another person told me about issues with the very large starter that seems to bog down, because it is constantly being used for that little thing where it shuts down at a traffic light. I HATE THAT! Half the time it didn't work, either. Ok, I know I am rambling. But after the second Ford truck failure, I'm more than a bit ticked off! Thoughts, suggestions? I will be talking to someone at the dealership on Tuesday (I HOPE!).
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Your truck obviously has a parasitic draw somewhere and until someone qualified can find it, I suspect it will kill the next new battery as well.

By the way, when the truck stops enabling auto stop-start at traffic stops, that's already a sign that the battery management system thinks the battery is not at a healthy charged state.

Sorry for your frustration. And yea, these latest trucks come with a daunting amount of electronics onboard. The dealership technician requires a very different skill set than in the past.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
We had to have it towed to the Ford dealer in Lincoln NE yesterday. Once again, a battery issue. Wouldn't start, nothing, nada. AAA came and jumped it, said the battery (which they put in 5 weeks ago) was down to nothing. Jump worked, and while trying to remove the "tow enabled" mode, stopped and started about 10 more times. Trouble this time, though, wouldn't release "tow enabled" mode. Had to call AAA back to be towed in. Bear in mind, we don't live here. We are staying with friends, and can't even talk to Ford until Tuesday. Also, this is the SECOND F 150 that we have had issues with. The 2019 needed a new transmission at 6 months, nav system went out about 6 months later, and the emergency braking system failed as well. Why did I get another Ford? Beats the heck out of me, but I've NEVER had issues like this before! Not with another F 150, and 2 Lincoln MKS's. Why now? We have no idea what is even wrong. I read about electrical issues (clearly we have those gremlins), and another person told me about issues with the very large starter that seems to bog down, because it is constantly being used for that little thing where it shuts down at a traffic light. I HATE THAT! Half the time it didn't work, either. Ok, I know I am rambling. But after the second Ford truck failure, I'm more than a bit ticked off! Thoughts, suggestions? I will be talking to someone at the dealership on Tuesday (I HOPE!).
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP

Linven

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. We are actually traveling, and are currently near Lincoln NE. We had the truck towed into Anderson South Ford. Quite surprised they have already called this morning! The service guy that called was Steve. The VIN is 1FTFW1E80MFA81453 . We are beyond frustrated, this being the second new F 150 we have had unusual problems with. Anything you can do to help the process is greatly appreciated!

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
It's apparently the APIM's that cause batteries to slowly deplete. As this happens, any number of things will/could stop working, such as interior lights etc..Dealers haven been told by ford to stop replacing APIM modules and wait till the new "updated" ones are available. My dealer has several on order but has no idea when they will be there to install, mine included. When this will happen is anybody's guess, since Ford wont tell. Ford has dropped the ball right on my foot....

Sponsored

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
Your truck obviously has a parasitic draw somewhere and until someone qualified can find it, I suspect it will kill the next new battery as well.

By the way, when the truck stops enabling auto stop-start at traffic stops, that's already a sign that the battery management system thinks the battery is not at a healthy charged state.

Sorry for your frustration. And yea, these latest trucks come with a daunting amount of electronics onboard. The dealership technician requires a very different skill set than in the past.
I agree. Before mine had to be towed to the dealer for a no-start issue, caused by a completely dead battery, which we didn't know about at the time, i noticed things to stop working, such as the stop-go/interior lights etc. My stop-go had not worked for month till they dropped a new battery in it. After that everything started working again. For now anyways. No Confidence in this vehicle whatsoever. Waiting on a new updated APIM, which ford seems to think will take care of a bunch of issues. As far as technicians requiring a very different skill set is correct too, but in the end, they need fixes/updates and instructions from the Mothership, which are lacking a lot.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The truck is fixable. But it requires a service department that can and will follow through. No telling how many updates are available for your truck and I'm guessing some of them are related.

OP
OP

Linven

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Retired
It's apparently the APIM's that cause batteries to slowly deplete. As this happens, any number of things will/could stop working, such as interior lights etc..Dealers haven been told by ford to stop replacing APIM modules and wait till the new "updated" ones are available. My dealer has several on order but has no idea when they will be there to install, mine included. When this will happen is anybody's guess, since Ford wont tell. Ford has dropped the ball right on my foot....
Ok this is her husband...I am totally ignorant as to how cars, electricity, well anything works but I know that we need to have a ground. We flat tow our truck behind our RV. Occasionally it won't start when we arrive. When the battery is tested it is totally drained. Well once you jump it you can turn the truck on and off at least ten times...never tried any more. The battery was clearly not drained, it just wouldn't register a charge, much less start the truck. We have been suckered into buying more than one battery. Some knowledgable person may be able to explain what seems to be happening

OP
OP

Linven

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Retired
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
This is her husband...Has anyone ever run into this situation with the battery testing dead, but once hit with enough power to start the engine it turns out to be a good battery with a charge? It is like there is a system or ground that falls asleep occasionally and needs to be shocked to reactive it. It has suckered us into buying multiple new batteries when the truck won't start and the battery tests no voltage.

Also many little glitches. You open the doors and no lights come on for a couple of days, then it is fine again. Auto start not working for months, then activates again. We live in our RV and tow our truck so it isn't like we are in changing weather conditions...seldom hot, and never cold.

The dealer finally does have our car as it truly is in tow enabled mode despite it messages. The steering wheel isn't locking and transfer case is in neutral. I even tried disconnecting the battery to see if the truck would reset its brain...but unfortunately I did not think to put it back into tow mode before that to be able to take it out of that mode...it was warm and getting late and I was in a comfortable place and did not have to think clearly (we were in a Walmart parking lot buying food and dropping the car before we headed into the dirt farm roads). I might have done a better job trouble shooting had I not been able to just call AAA for a jump as we had arrived at our destination and just wanted to get parked.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
my 2021 super duty had the battery junction box replaced because of very similar battery dead issues or drawn down to a no start.
i am not sure if the 150 has the same parts, but cost of modules, we may have the same junction box issues.
a good tech should be able to take the time and step by step find the source of the draw. but it takes more than a 20 minute test

my issues are the battery goes very low after a few days and the battery in truck does not match the spec sheets for 2022 150s, i see the dealer thursday so hopefully we have resolution. and ford folks here reached out, my dealer is aware. its bad timing to interrupt a trip over issues
let us know the resolution.

Sponsored

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
Ok this is her husband...I am totally ignorant as to how cars, electricity, well anything works but I know that we need to have a ground. We flat tow our truck behind our RV. Occasionally it won't start when we arrive. When the battery is tested it is totally drained. Well once you jump it you can turn the truck on and off at least ten times...never tried any more. The battery was clearly not drained, it just wouldn't register a charge, much less start the truck. We have been suckered into buying more than one battery. Some knowledgable person may be able to explain what seems to be happening
As i mentioned before, Ford is definately aware that the APIM modules ( Accessory Protocol Interface Module )that control a lot of stuff are flawed, which is why new a updated version is in the works and i am waiting for. It allows for things to keep running even after the vehicle is shut down, depleting the battery slowly but surely. This may or may not whats happening with your truck. Either way, i dont understand why you had to replace 3 batteries at your cost, when the dealer (ford) should replace at their cost, being that it's their problem with having bought it in good faith, expecting a problemfree vehicle for at least 3-5 years, which is the main reason people purchase new vehicles in the first place. I recommend that you send the bill for those batteries right to ford and get refunded, or you have your dealer contact the regional ford rep on your behalf regarding reimbursement. If your dealer was worth his salt, he would have never charged you. How old is your truck anyways??? Another ?. Do you have your truck powering the lights when you're towing it around, or do you have one of those light bars attached to the back of the truck, powered by your RV?

Last edited:

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
This is her husband...Has anyone ever run into this situation with the battery testing dead, but once hit with enough power to start the engine it turns out to be a good battery with a charge? It is like there is a system or ground that falls asleep occasionally and needs to be shocked to reactive it. It has suckered us into buying multiple new batteries when the truck won't start and the battery tests no voltage.

Also many little glitches. You open the doors and no lights come on for a couple of days, then it is fine again. Auto start not working for months, then activates again. We live in our RV and tow our truck so it isn't like we are in changing weather conditions...seldom hot, and never cold.

The dealer finally does have our car as it truly is in tow enabled mode despite it messages. The steering wheel isn't locking and transfer case is in neutral. I even tried disconnecting the battery to see if the truck would reset its brain...but unfortunately I did not think to put it back into tow mode before that to be able to take it out of that mode...it was warm and getting late and I was in a comfortable place and did not have to think clearly (we were in a Walmart parking lot buying food and dropping the car before we headed into the dirt farm roads). I might have done a better job trouble shooting had I not been able to just call AAA for a jump as we had arrived at our destination and just wanted to get parked.
This is a long shot, but there was a problem with the rear doors of early ‘21s not being properly aligned. Not only did it make it difficult to shut the doors, it would result in a battery drain. Since your truck is 17 months old and in that early run, have you found that you needed to slam the rear doors hard to get them to close? If so, this TSB (21-2097) might be a place to look for a solution.. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10189794-0001.pdf

OP
OP

Linven

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Retired
As i mentioned before, Ford is definately aware that the APIM modules ( Accessory Protocol Interface Module )that control a lot of stuff are flawed, which is why new a updated version is in the works and i am waiting for. It allows for things to keep running even after the vehicle is shut down, depleting the battery slowly but surely. This may or may not whats happening with your truck. Either way, i dont understand why you had to replace 3 batteries at your cost, when the dealer (ford) should replace at their cost, being that it's their problem with having bought it in good faith, expecting a problemfree vehicle for at least 3-5 years, which is the main reason people purchase new vehicles in the first place. I recommend that you send the bill for those batteries right to ford and get refunded, or you have your dealer contact the regional ford rep on your behalf regarding reimbursement. If your dealer was worth his salt, he would have never charged you. How old is your truck anyways??? Another ?. Do you have your truck powering the lights when you're towing it around, or do you have one of those light bars attached to the back of the truck, powered by your RV?
we weren’t taking it to Ford when it needed jumped. Twice was AAA and the other was in a small town that had an auto parts store. In hindsight, we should have taken it to Ford! As to the towing process, we have a pass through connection from the RV.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
If you have a PowerBoost... when you replace the main battery, disconnect warthe "Keep Alive" Battery under the rear side Pax seat. This resets the computer memory along the way. If you don't do this, the software that drained your main battery keeps on-keepin' on...

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
One other thing I forgot to ask. You are using the truck as a dinghy. Are you having a problem with the battery draining at any time other than immediately after flat towing? If it’s just after flat-towing, then there might not be a problem with the truck. You may be draining the battery accidentally by towing in “temporary neutral mode.” See page 255 of the owners manual (“Prolonged use of this mode can cause the vehicle battery to run out of charge.”). There is a more involved procedure for flat-towing that requires a few extra steps after you’ve entered “temporary neutral mode.” See pages 443-44.
Sponsored