• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

15.5" infotainment screen vs. 12" screen

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
That volume dial looks like it will be the only tangible button/knob for your entire entertainment area. A lot of people wouldn’t like that. I would probably get used to it, but I like the physical buttons for now.
At least in Mustang Mach E, the volume can be controlled by physical buttons on the wheel, so the dial is superfluous.
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
At least in Mustang Mach E, the volume can be controlled by physical buttons on the wheel, so the dial is superfluous.

Yea, since I finally got into newer cars (at least from this past decade) with volume controls, I hardly ever use the physical knob down on the main center stack.. Easy feature to have these days, but steering wheel radio controls was in my must haves!

Squatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reef flip flops
1. This should be a poll

B. The twelve inch unless I plush out to a Lariat, but an XLT Sport level has been great since my last Lariat in 2010. I'm just missing the swamp coolers in the front seats.

5. is right out!

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
One thing that turned me off the ram, among a bunch of other things, was the portrait screen. I like the look of landscape. Just maybe a pet peeve I have with screen orientation. Like watching others record video on their phone in portrait just make be laugh. Maybe due to the daily work surrounded by landscape, portrait just throws me off.

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
My wife and I own a Mach-E and I have sat in 2021 F-150 as well as used the the infotainment on a 2015 F-150. My current 2005 Acura MDX has ~7" infotainment w/ lots of tactile buttons. My F-150 is forever at Ramp59, but I will give my overall impressions.

At first I hated the idea of the idea of having a tablet just placed on the center stack like an after thought. I thought it looked bad from images. Though after seeing it first hand, it doesn't look bad. It is cool to see so much information. The volume knob gives it some character and makes it easier for more traditional buyers transition into a vehicle like this, compared to the extremely minimalist Tesla. Though the tactile knob is a bit redundant as the driver can control the volume via the steering wheel.

In all we don't hate the 15.5" screen like we thought we would. Though it does have some form over function, it gets people's attention with marketing, and it is a cost saving factor for Ford. My big complaints is having to take my eyes off the road for a second to adjust the tempature and the fact I have to navigate the UI to open the rear hatch. The rear hatch should be a tactile button, like it is for most trunks. I think overall I would be more happy with a 12" + tactile buttons over a 15.5" touch screen only.

Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Exactly what is a "rear hatch" on a truck?

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
Knickell said:
5. The upper F-150 trims have a center channel speaker at the top of the dash. Even a small lip in front of it will affect how it sounds overall, albeit slightly.

but the center channel speaker faces up so that it reflects” transparently” into the cabin and moves the soundstage, it doesn’t face into the back of the screen.

landersen

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
I came from a RAM pickup with the large 12" screen. And even though it was integrated with the dash, I much prefer the horizontally oriented 12" screen on the Ford. Easier to clean behind when you want to wipe down the dash. And from a cognitive perspective, it seems easier to scan things in a horizontal direction than a vertical one. Especially while driving. Keeps your eyes and head from moving up and down and makes it that much quicker to return your vision back to the outside. It's a minor difference for sure, but I've dealt with both orientations and that is one of the first things I noticed.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
The way the F-150 interior is currently laid out is perfect, IMO, Ford should make it an option for the Vertical Tablet across all Trims. It just doesn't look right ?‍♂

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
My biggest concern from a driving perspective is the climate controls. Radio doesn’t bother me since those are on the steering wheel but right now I can adjust the climate without looking.

On my wifes car if I want to adjust the seat warmers for example I have to take my eyes off the road and touch the seats icon, then find where I want it set to in the popup window and set, then close the window… meanwhile I’ve traveled 1/8 - 1/4 mile down the road. Same for the fan speed.

As it looks like the bottom third of the screen is dedicated to climate control maybe this won’t be as bad since hopefully wouldn’t have to deal with popups but still will require a look rather than by feel.

Personally I think replacing the climate controls with a larger screen is just a cost savings measure that they are trying to pass off as a perk.

Sponsored

Droidish

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Where there’s no law, north of the Klamath
Vehicles
Ranger XLT, Zero SR, Honda VFR 800, Suzuki DR-Z400
Which screen do you prefer in the 2022 Lightning?

I prefer the 15.5" screen infotainment screen but Ford is only offering it on the Lariat and Platinum trims
I could swear Ford’s website originally said the 12” screen was on the Pro only, and the 15.5” screen came on XLT and higher trim levels. Was I hallucinating?!

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
You are hallucinating :ROFLMAO: The 12 inch screen has always been on the XLT.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2020 LexusRX350; 2021 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I like it for the larger views and more info displayed. Looks like a bit easier to reach come of the controls for shorter arm folks. I'm in

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Definitely the smaller screen especially since the F150 has an inline screen for functions.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I'm planning on getting an ER XLT with some additional packages.

Now my mostly worthless opinion ;),

I'm actually happy the XLT doesn't come with the 15" screen. I really hate using climate controls, volume adjustments (though I know the volume knob comes with the 15"), seat warmers, etc on my wife's van with an oversized screen. There is no tactile feedback, its really hard to slide a temperature adjustment to just where you want it, touch sensitive screens don't always register the correct input. If the difference between the 15" and the 12" is just that the extra bottom of the screen is only used for those type of options...it's a waste of screen space in my opinion. Give me a sharp useful 12" with normal tactile buttons to control systems often used within the vehicle.

Changing sound settings or preferences once in a menu is a different type of user experience than changing climate and turning on/off seat warmers multiple times daily.

IMO, just because you can, doesn't always mean you should.
Sponsored