• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

15.5" infotainment screen vs. 12" screen

F150wantone

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150
Which screen do you prefer in the 2022 Lightning?

I prefer the 15.5" screen infotainment screen but Ford is only offering it on the Lariat and Platinum trims
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Gotta go with the 12” screen for numerous reasons....
  1. Nicely integrated into the dash, and doesn’t look cheaply “stuck on” like a third world iPad
  2. Still leaves you with several important physical buttons instead of putting those button’s features buried somewhere multiple pages deep in the menus
  3. For F-150 applications, it appears the A/C vents are larger with the 12” screen than with the 15” screen
  4. Less/more difficult access to your center storage try on the dash with the 15.5" screen
  5. The 15.5" screen will block the sound coming from the center channel speaker and, thus, affect the overall product of sound coming from the Bang and Olufsen Unleashed system
  6. I like it...I currently have the 12” Productivity Screen in my F-150 and I love it. It is very large, vibrant, and visible without being over done and tacky looking. I’ve had the opportunity to play with the 15.5” screen of the Mustangs Mach-E and wasn’t too impressed...
  7. Simply gorgeous:

Ford F-150 Lightning 15.5" infotainment screen vs. 12" screen D51F3656-4D2A-4CF7-9D52-D1C6FC93D1D2

Last edited:

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Gotta go with the 12” once screen for numerous reasons....
  1. Nicely integrated into the dash, and doesn’t look cheaply “stuck on” like a third world iPad
  2. Still leaves you with several important physical buttons instead of putting those button’s features buried somewhere multiple pages deep in the menus
  3. For F-150 applications, it appears the A/C vents are larger with the 12” screen than with the 15” screen
  4. Less/more difficult access to your center storage try on the dash with the 15.5" screen
  5. The 15.5" screen will block the sound coming from the center channel speaker and, thus, affect the overall product of sound coming from the Bang and Olufsen Unleashed system
  6. I like it...I currently have the 12” Productivity Screen in my F-150 and I love it. It is very large, vibrant, and visible without being over done and tacky looking. I’ve had the opportunity to play with the 15.5” screen of the Mustangs Mach-E and wasn’t too impressed...
  7. Simply gorgeous:

D51F3656-4D2A-4CF7-9D52-D1C6FC93D1D2.jpeg
Were you going for the ransom note look?;)

Will have to see how this is specifically implemented on Lightning, but here are a couple of comments.
3. it probably doesn't matter how big the vents are, if you get the same A/C.
4. I don't foresee any difficulty accessing center storage area.
5. I don't think you get a center speaker on these. There is no center speaker on Mustang MAch-E.

Personally, I'm fine with either screen, but will most likely end up with 12" screen, since I am definitely leaning toward Pro trim.

DJ NV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Which screen do you prefer in the 2022 Lightning?

I prefer the 15.5" screen infotainment screen but Ford is only offering it on the Lariat and Platinum trims
I'm getting the 12 inch screen; not going higher than XLT in trims.

:unsure:(y) ... wondering how that all vinyl interior is going to be like.

?(y) ... probably going to be easy to clean.

Sponsored

DJ NV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Gotta go with the 12” once screen for numerous reasons....
  7. Simply gorgeous:

D51F3656-4D2A-4CF7-9D52-D1C6FC93D1D2.jpeg
:cool:(y) yes.

The word sleek comes to mind for me.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Everybody does which is why Ford requires you to pay more to get it.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Were you going for the ransom note look?;)

Will have to see how this is specifically implemented on Lightning, but here are a couple of comments.
3. it probably doesn't matter how big the vents are, if you get the same A/C.
4. I don't foresee any difficulty accessing center storage area.
5. I don't think you get a center speaker on these. There is no center speaker on Mustang MAch-E.

Personally, I'm fine with either screen, but will most likely end up with 12" screen, since I am definitely leaning toward Pro trim.
Highlighter Central! (I ran out of colors....)

3. The F-150 Lightning ⚡ does have smaller A/C vents than the standard F-150s. Might not be that big of a deal to some, but in southern summer heat, vents half the size will make a significant difference.
4. The lip of the 15” screen on the Lightning ⚡ looks like it will stick up several inches from the top of the dash. It’ll make that cubby at the top center a bit harder to use.
5. The upper F-150 trims have a center channel speaker at the top of the dash. Even a small lip in front of it will affect how it sounds overall, albeit slightly.

If they somehow make the 15” screen flush and integrated into the dash, I would definitely be interested.

You’ll be happy with the 12” screen if your truck come with it!

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
I have the 15" screen on the MachE and like it. look forward to getting it on the F150 Lightning.

I can read everything without sqinting and the navigation pane shows a lot more coverage. By the time you take out the border and the lettering and controls the nav screen becomes this teeny tiny saucer cup on a 12" screen.

How can you say no to the layout below.:)

Ford F-150 Lightning 15.5" infotainment screen vs. 12" screen 20210608_142200

Last edited:

Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Not really, the 12 inch screen doesn't have to host the temp controls, etc. What you have left is a vertical 12 inch vs a horizontal 12 inch. I prefer the temp controls as real buttons, thank you.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
3. The F-150 Lightning ⚡ does have smaller A/C vents than the standard F-150s. Might not be that big of a deal to some, but in southern summer heat, vents half the size will make a significant difference.
The limiting factor is not the size of the vents but how much air the A/C system pushes through. Bigger vents don't make the A/C system more powerful. I live in Phoenix where we get real summer heat.
4. The lip of the 15” screen on the Lightning ⚡ looks like it will stick up several inches from the top of the dash. It’ll make that cubby at the top center a bit harder to use.
Only if you sit on the floor and really have to reach up. For most, it will be a non-issue.
5. The upper F-150 trims have a center channel speaker at the top of the dash. Even a small lip in front of it will affect how it sounds overall, albeit slightly.
And the trims with 12" screen won't, so it's a wash.

At any rate, I think both SYNC screens are ok. The 15" screen on F150 seems to be better integrated into the dash than in Mustang Mach E. So it seems that Ford is moving in the right direction. Also, I'm not really a fan of volume dial on the 15" screen.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The limiting factor is not the size of the vents but how much air the A/C system pushes through. Bigger vents don't make the A/C system more powerful. I live in Phoenix where we get real summer heat.

Only if you sit on the floor and really have to reach up. For most, it will be a non-issue.

And the trims with 12" screen won't, so it's a wash.

At any rate, I think both SYNC screens are ok. The 15" screen on F150 seems to be better integrated into the dash than in Mustang Mach E. So it seems that Ford is moving in the right direction. Also, I'm not really a fan of volume dial on the 15" screen.
3. We’ll have to see how Ford’s electric vehicles do with their cooling and heating. Ford’s air conditioning systems in many of their gas vehicles have very powerful motors from my experience, and the larger vents only make a good system even better.

4. Personal preference, a lot of people with larger builds will need to have their seats positioned low. A lot of the guys here on the forum have mentioned that about the seating position of the new F-150s.

5. Not really a wash since the Bang & Olufsen stereos are available only on the Lariat and Platinum trims where the 15.5” screen is standard. The 12” screen will be a base model on the XLT where the Bang & Olufsen stereo is not available.

Anyway, I agree with you that both screens are adequate. It does seem better integrated than other Ford models and other manufacturers have done in the past. That volume dial looks like it will be the only tangible button/knob for your entire entertainment area. A lot of people wouldn’t like that. I would probably get used to it, but I like the physical buttons for now.

FordLightning

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Deposit on Ford Lightning
For me, I am not so concerned with screen size as other “feature” differences.

Do they get the same software updates, capabilities, and layout for navigation? Anything different with sound quality, screen quality (blackness, I hate light bleed for night driving, wish it was OLED)?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
For me, I am not so concerned with screen size as other “feature” differences.

Do they get the same software updates, capabilities, and layout for navigation? Anything different with sound quality, screen quality (blackness, I hate light bleed for night driving, wish it was OLED)?
Based on the description from Ford, it is largely just UI differences - nothing functional

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-...difference-between-sync-4-versus-sync-4a.html
Sponsored