12V battery low warning message at startup

col

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
I recall earlier in the year seeing some issues with 12v batter low warning messages for Powerboosts that have not been driven for a while.

My 21 PB has 7,000 miles on it and it goes days of not being driven/started. It has started giving the warning message of 12V battery low. Has anyone else had this issue and gotten it fixed/resolved?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I recall earlier in the year seeing some issues with 12v batter low warning messages for Powerboosts that have not been driven for a while.

My 21 PB has 7,000 miles on it and it goes days of not being driven/started. It has started giving the warning message of 12V battery low. Has anyone else had this issue and gotten it fixed/resolved?
Hi there! This definitely doesn’t sound like the experience we want you to be having– If you'd like to, go ahead and send a private message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage. I’d be happy to look into this for you. Thanks!

christophers

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid
i have this same issue. seems to be a result of the back door misaligned based on the tsb. between this and the fake “trailer disconnected” alarms im towing my rv with another truck. dealership says “never heard of either of those notices” and wants me to drop truck off for a few days… less than 1000mi.

RichOK 1941

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5L V-6 Power Boost Technology Package
Occupation
retired
i have this same issue. seems to be a result of the back door misaligned based on the tsb. between this and the fake “trailer disconnected” alarms im towing my rv with another truck. dealership says “never heard of either of those notices” and wants me to drop truck off for a few days… less than 1000mi.
Me too and I also get "Charging System Service Soon" and dealers are backed up for weeks and want three days to work on and have no loan cars or rentals available.

RichOK 1941

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5L V-6 Power Boost Technology Package
Occupation
retired
Hi there! This definitely doesn’t sound like the experience we want you to be having– If you'd like to, go ahead and send a private message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage. I’d be happy to look into this for you. Thanks!
HOW DO I SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE?

Sponsored

Cessnadog

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I got this message tonight. 5500 miles into ownership.
It started fine but put the warning on the dash.

Only sat for a couple of days…

Voss

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PB Lariat
I started getting this a few weeks ago, after driving for 8 hours, so definitely not a problem with the truck sitting. Took it back to the dealership they say I can't drive it b/c they are worried about damage to electronics and whatever parts they need are on back order with no ETA and they are out of loaners so I'm currently SOL and all they say is 'there is nothing we can do'

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Replace the battery

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Replace the battery
Of go in with Forscan and increase the battery charge limit setting from 80 to 90% and drive the truck for 5 or so miles or idle for about 10 minuets at least once every couple of weeks.

During covid I did this on my 20 Ranger after it started sending out deep sleep alerts and low battery warnings with less than 4K on it. After upping the charge limit to 95% I never had another issue or alert on it.

Sponsored

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Of go in with Forscan and increase the battery charge limit setting from 80 to 90% and drive the truck for 5 or so miles or idle for about 10 minuets at least once every couple of weeks.

During covid I did this on my 20 Ranger after it started sending out deep sleep alerts and low battery warnings with less than 4K on it. After upping the charge limit to 95% I never had another issue or alert on it.
Doesn't sound like it fixes the problem though.
We talking about the agm battery under the hood or?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Doesn't sound like it fixes the problem though.
We talking about the agm battery under the hood or?

This would be the 12v battery under the hood, not the hybrid battery pack. With the max charge set to 80% the truck will only charge the primary battery to 12v. When setting the cut-off to 90% it raises the voltage to 13.7v which is considered full charge on a 12v car battery. The reason this works is when left sit for an extended time period the onboard electronics will slowly drain the car battery down and when it dips too low the truck send out warnings or entered deep sleep. By increasing max charge limit and running the engine on occasion it will keep the 12v battery at full charge and prevent these alerts. One could also hook up a battery tender to the 12v battery as well if the truck is not going to be driven for an extended period of time.

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lariat 502A PB BAP
Battery tender for less frequently driven is the way to go. I was surprised at how quickly the AGM battery gets sucked down to 11.0. Whenever I’m in the garage fetching something, I hear gizmos whir or switches/ solenoids cycling for no apparent reason given the FOB is still upstairs and have updates off. They must assume all are daily drivers.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Ok, so over time, it was determined that early builds had a bad batch of batteries.
For months I never got an ota. Per Ford, voltage must be no less than 12.5…. So to prove my point, let my truck sit through a day in moderate temps to 40deg nights. The following morning, (no deep sleep btw), I got my meter out and checked voltage it creeped just below 12.0 volts.
More like 11.9… started it up, drove to the dealer requesting them to run a stress test and if it fails, replace the battery.
In days of old, stress tests took longer than 5 mins. They told me that my battery passed and Im not getting it replaced.

Few weeks ago, I had O’Reillys replace the battery..
Monitored the voltage via the ecm and after leaning towards 14.7, it eventually calmed down to 13.5 while driving, then as of now, sits between 12 and 13. Over night.

Low and behold, got my very first Ota.
So, the mothership tags your vehicle and sees battery voltage below 12.5, says nope, you no get the ota.

Regarding orig post, he says he runs it for at least 8 hrs. I’ve only got one deep sleep. Think it was few days of sub zero temps. Went out and started it.
Your suppose to only lose some remote functions. You should still be able to start it.
Do I trust what they say about all this?
My wife has a brand new 22 Edge. She got a deep sleep message last weekend. Weather has been nice, prior weekend went for a long ride. 4 days later deep sleep?

Something is effed up at Ford.
Fdrs said she had two modules waiting from the mothership to puke an update down. She had nothing pending that would cause a d.s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dlh

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum, 2019 Accord
Occupation
IT MGR
Anyone got the forscan change to increase max charge to 90%?
Sponsored