Sponsored

12 volt inverter recommendation

Meterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I have the 7.2KW generator and I’m trying to eliminate the 12 volt battery that powers my winch to pull my car into my enclose trailer. I bought a 110V AC to 12V DC Converter Power Supply Adapter Switch Transformer Max 50A 600W hoping I could it would power my 4500 lb winch in my trailer but it did not work at all.

Does anyone have any recommendation on what I could buy so I can use my generator to convert 120v to 12v and power my winch.. I plan in installing a 240V outlet with a power panel to add a few 120v outlets.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Probably not going to happen. You are likely drawing a couple hundred amps.

Better to use the truck to keep the battery charged.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have the 7.2KW generator and I’m trying to eliminate the 12 volt battery that powers my winch to pull my car into my enclose trailer. I bought a 110V AC to 12V DC Converter Power Supply Adapter Switch Transformer Max 50A 600W hoping I could it would power my 4500 lb winch in my trailer but it did not work at all.

Does anyone have any recommendation on what I could buy so I can use my generator to convert 120v to 12v and power my winch.. I plan in installing a 240V outlet with a power panel to add a few 120v outlets.
Yeah unfortunately the only way you'd be able to pull that off, is with an AC-DC power supply that will output 12v at 200amps, and that's going to run over $400, and I don't think you can get one that is weather tight, so it would have to be in an enclosure, plus they are not small, so you won't gain any space. Your simplest solution is to keep the battery and power a charger/maintainer from the truck.

OR, sell your winch and buy a 120v winch, which should only draw about 6amps at 120v.

OP
OP

Meterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Probably not going to happen. You are likely drawing a couple hundred amps.

Better to use the truck to keep the battery charged.
Yeah I kind of figured that might be the case.

OP
OP

Meterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah unfortunately the only way you'd be able to pull that off, is with an AC-DC power supply that will output 12v at 200amps, and that's going to run over $400, and I don't think you can get one that is weather tight, so it would have to be in an enclosure, plus they are not small, so you won't gain any space. Your simplest solution is to keep the battery and power a charger/maintainer from the truck.

OR, sell your winch and buy a 120v winch, which should only draw about 6amps at 120v.
Yeah I can see that an inverter will work. I never really thought about a 120v winch. Thanks, I might look at that too. Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Meterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok that was easy, a 120v winch is expensive, looks like a battery charger or tender will be the way to go.

Twg1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F150 Screw, 2019 Camaro ZLE
Occupation
Engineer
I have the same issue. Disclosure: My truck is on order, but I also have a trailer mounted winch for my race-car. My last truck I added a 1/0 cable from the truck battery, along the frame, and mounted to the rear bumper with an Anderson style connector plug. Reverse the setup on the trailer with a 3rd removable cable that connects both of them. That way I don't have another battery to maintain on the trailer.

I looked into an easier solution using ProPower, but as mentioned, there aren't many high amp converters out there, they aren't weather tight, and they're expensive. Also, check the 120v winch ratings. Last time I checked, they weren't rated as high as the 12v versions.

I used this kit for the last truck, and have a new kit in my garage waiting on my truck to show up. Due to copper costs, this kit has gone up $200 since I installed in my last truck a few years back. But still worth the upfront cost not to have to deal with another (always dead) battery.

Bulldog Winch Rear Wiring Kit - Quick Connect to Terminal End - 1 Gauge - 24' Long Bulldog Winch Accessories and Parts BDW20348 (etrailer.com)

OP
OP

Meterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the same issue. Disclosure: My truck is on order, but I also have a trailer mounted winch for my race-car. My last truck I added a 1/0 cable from the truck battery, along the frame, and mounted to the rear bumper with an Anderson style connector plug. Reverse the setup on the trailer with a 3rd removable cable that connects both of them. That way I don't have another battery to maintain on the trailer.

I looked into an easier solution using ProPower, but as mentioned, there aren't many high amp converters out there, they aren't weather tight, and they're expensive. Also, check the 120v winch ratings. Last time I checked, they weren't rated as high as the 12v versions.

I used this kit for the last truck, and have a new kit in my garage waiting on my truck to show up. Due to copper costs, this kit has gone up $200 since I installed in my last truck a few years back. But still worth the upfront cost not to have to deal with another (always dead) battery.

Bulldog Winch Rear Wiring Kit - Quick Connect to Terminal End - 1 Gauge - 24' Long Bulldog Winch Accessories and Parts BDW20348 (etrailer.com)
Thanks, I looked at the 120v winch ratings and they are no where near the 12v. I was planning on using a 2/10/50 amp charger that I know on the 50amp has enough power to use the winch. Before I spend $470 for a Bulldog wiring kit I’ll install the 240v connector and install a couple 15 amp outlets and power it that way.
Sponsored