12 inch screen flicker on 2021 Platinum

Zeromarine

First Name
Cale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt 302a
Spoke with service manager at local dealership. He said this is an issue they have heard of and a new software update and service bulletin are out.
Winder if anyone has info on this bulletin
Sponsored

bosro

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150
2021 lariat. Same thing. Seems to happen most with day night mode transition. If I hold power and seek forward it fixes for a while.
Anyone have a fix? Or what to say when you take it in to make them listen?? I’m fully anticipating a “we couldn’t duplicate the problem”
Same here....ive only had it do the blackout thing at the night/day transition and doing the soft reboot solves it.
Still annoying AF tho.

brenorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariet FX4
Same here....ive only had it do the blackout thing at the night/day transition and doing the soft reboot solves it.
Still annoying AF tho.
Yea I’ve noticed night to day and when it’s in day mode and brightening in bright sunlight. Yesterday I permanently put it in dark/night mode and it hasn’t done it again?. I’ll report back. I have a service appointment next week for a software update but it looks like this is for a bug having to do with CarPlay and the caller having an emoji in their contact name???

It’s really frustrating that a 6k mi truck is going this. But ford has responded in PMs and seems veryinterested in solving it and the dealer was also very supportive.

Matt_Bonilla08

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I have always left mine in night mode and it still happens once every week or so

Zeromarine

First Name
Cale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt 302a
Mine did it yesterday. The only other time was when it was trying to get the 1.7.1 update which failed about a month ago. It was queued to download again yesterday and the screen went messy again. Did a reset and fine. Looks like the update failed. But it seems for me at least it only happened these 2 times when it tried to download 1.7.1 could have something to do with that who knows?

Sponsored

brenorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariet FX4
Noticed another thing this morning. It happened in dark mode. I hit the 360 camera button and all those work fine. It has to be software related or sync related if the picture on the screen still works for the cameras

also if I rapidly hit the screen off button it will come back on Looks like a software glitch. Ford has assigned me a case number and going to the dealer Monday. We will see.

nhamp07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat
This just started happening to me. It went dark this morning though, while the sun was behind me and it wasnt off, the sun made some text appear. It is just really really dark.

mjs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
This just started happening to me. It went dark this morning though, while the sun was behind me and it wasnt off, the sun made some text appear. It is just really really dark.
I see this as well. The dealership is replacing the APIM today so we’ll see if this has any impact. Not feeling confident given this is my 6th visit for the issue. Not what one should expect for a $73k ride.

brenorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariet FX4
Thats actually a good theory. Thats it’s getting really dark not necessarily black. Some people have described putting it in neutral and it working.

Dealership is waiting for an update to come on a “flash drive”. I’m worried they are stalling because they don’t know what to do. Corporate has a case open but they haven’t been helpful either.
I’m not doing this six times. I’ll trade this sucker in for something not FORD.

Last edited:

mjs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
Thats actually a good theory. Thats it’s getting really dark not necessarily black. Some people have described putting it in neutral and it working.

Dealership is waiting for an update to come on a “flash drive”. I’m worried they are stalling because they don’t know what to do. Corporate has a case open but they haven’t been helpful either.
I’m not doing this six times. I’ll trade this sucker in for something not FORD.
I have a case open for lemon law buy back. Shifting to neutral or park returns the screen for me too.

Sponsored

brenorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariet FX4
After reading the law I’m pretty sure they had me pick up my truck and drive it while “waiting for the flash drive” so that it didn’t accrue visits and time against the lemon law

Steve23

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150- King Ranch
Occupation
Fire
I see this as well. The dealership is replacing the APIM today so we’ll see if this has any impact. Not feeling confident given this is my 6th visit for the issue. Not what one should expect for a $73k ride.
Had My APIM replace for same issues black screen etc. And all problems have been resolved.

mjs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
Had My APIM replace for same issues black screen etc. And all problems have been resolved.
Any chance one of your symptoms was the interior lights don’t come on when the doors are opened? This was my original issue and after that first repair I’ve been plagued with the screen going black.
Sponsored