12 inch infotainment screen going dark

Akademiksk16

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 xlt
Mine has been doing it . As soon as you touch the dimmer switch the whole screen comes back to the way it was before going dark . IDK but its annoying
Sponsored

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
My screen doesn't go completely black for any length of time, but just yesterday it started cycling off and on. It happened several times on a 30 minute drive. I wasn't looking at the screen any time it happened, but I caught it in my peripheral vision. It appears to refresh quickly. I purchased the truck at the end of August, but this never happened prior to yesterday.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My screen doesn't go completely black for any length of time, but just yesterday it started cycling off and on. It happened several times on a 30 minute drive. I wasn't looking at the screen any time it happened, but I caught it in my peripheral vision. It appears to refresh quickly. I purchased the truck at the end of August, but this never happened prior to yesterday.
Hello! Send us a private message with your F-150's VIN and name & location of dealership. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this screen issue. Thanks!

DanB

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum
I'm dealing with a black screen when using the key fob for remote start on my Platinum. The key fob indicates it failed to start, but in fact the vehicle has started. It won't recognize the key fob proximity when I approach the vehicle on the passenger's side and will not unlock the door with a handle grab. However, if I grab the handle on the driver's side it will unlock. The screen will not come on after I acknowledge the remote start by using the brake and start switch. Typically, if I turn the truck off, open and close the door, then start the truck again, the screen will be normal. Also tried the second key fob, first time it worked as advertised and second time it was just like the other key fob, no proximity recognition or door unlock on passenger side. I am disappointed with the 2021 and this is my 3rd Platinum... perhaps my last. I'm calling the dealership with updates, but requesting they do their research before I bring in the truck. There are other issues with option retention as well. The last two days my hill start assist (brake) was inoperative, but previously always worked. I checked the settings and found it was off, but it hadn't been disabled by me. The technology is great when it works, but it's not dependable. I feel like I am part of R&D, on my dime!

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I'm dealing with a black screen when using the key fob for remote start on my Platinum. The key fob indicates it failed to start, but in fact the vehicle has started. It won't recognize the key fob proximity when I approach the vehicle on the passenger's side and will not unlock the door with a handle grab. However, if I grab the handle on the driver's side it will unlock. The screen will not come on after I acknowledge the remote start by using the brake and start switch. Typically, if I turn the truck off, open and close the door, then start the truck again, the screen will be normal. Also tried the second key fob, first time it worked as advertised and second time it was just like the other key fob, no proximity recognition or door unlock on passenger side. I am disappointed with the 2021 and this is my 3rd Platinum... perhaps my last. I'm calling the dealership with updates, but requesting they do their research before I bring in the truck. There are other issues with option retention as well. The last two days my hill start assist (brake) was inoperative, but previously always worked. I checked the settings and found it was off, but it hadn't been disabled by me. The technology is great when it works, but it's not dependable. I feel like I am part of R&D, on my dime!
Hello Dan! Can you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info? I'll look into this on my end. Thank you!

Sponsored

Lab2

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
My issues are:
  • Display screen will go black while driving. (Increasing in frequency).
  • Auto Stop Start does not work (fuel saver)
  • Truck goes to Power Save mode when ignition is turned off. (Radio does not stay on.)
  • Touch lock and unlock will not function, when this happens the interior and exterior courtesy lights do not function. (occasionally)
  • Apple CarPlay will stop working. (occasionally)
  • Screen defaults to the “Settings” when truck is started. (occasionally)

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My issues are:
  • Display screen will go black while driving. (Increasing in frequency).
  • Auto Stop Start does not work (fuel saver)
  • Truck goes to Power Save mode when ignition is turned off. (Radio does not stay on.)
  • Touch lock and unlock will not function, when this happens the interior and exterior courtesy lights do not function. (occasionally)
  • Apple CarPlay will stop working. (occasionally)
  • Screen defaults to the “Settings” when truck is started. (occasionally)
Hi there! Can you send us a PM with your VIN and Ford dealership information? I’d be happy to look into this on my end.

Krr1222

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Teacher
I’m having many of these same problems that are posted on this thread.
- dome light doesn’t always go on when opening the car door
- my screen goes black and will back on when driving during early morning hours. This doesn’t happen when driving during the day or at night. I can get to come back on if I hit the dimmer switch.
- occasionally screen defaults to settings when started or radio is turned off.
- passenger side doesn’t alway unlock when pulling the handle.
- auto start/stop doesn’t always work
Worries me that these are the issues I am having already and the truck is only a year old with 11,000 miles. Have to get the truck in for an inspection so I’m hoping that many of these issues can be fixed.

Zeromarine

First Name
Cale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt 302a
- my screen goes black and will back on when driving during early morning hours. This doesn’t happen when driving during the day or at night. I can get to come back on if I hit the dimmer switch.
Worries me that these are the issues I am having already and the truck is only a year old with 11,000 miles. Have to get the truck in for an inspection so I’m hoping that many of these issues can be fixed.
I have some of the same issues. (This is only sometimes maybe once or twice a week) The passenger smart key door not working, walk up lights not working. Interior lights not working. I have never had the screen go blank though. This has all started since it’s gotten stuck on the 1.7.1 update fiasco.
I had to take it in a couple days ago as I went to go to work and it was completely dead, drove it the day before and it was fine.
They checked everything and replaced the battery. Seems fine so far. Can’t wait till they come out with the stick OTA fix.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hello! Send us a private message with your F-150’s VIN and name & location of dealership. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this screen issue. Thank you!

Sponsored

LuisCarrillo91

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I took mine back in December and still have issues. Supposedly waiting on parts. Hopefully it gets fixed soon! This is very annoying on a $60k truck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport FX4, 3.5LEB, Carbonized Gray
Still no resolution to the issues listed above I assume? I'm having the same.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I fought like hell to get them to add the 12” screen to my RCSB XLT but it wasn’t happening.

…now I’m glad they didn’t!

swade87

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 king ranch fx4 4x4
Still no resolution to the issues listed above I assume? I'm having the same.
Having same issue but I don’t want to leave at dealership for weeks with fix that I’m aware of. Damn light sensor can’t seem to figure out if it wants day or night and also weird battery saving mode notifications. For a damn 70k truck. Hope we get some answers.

Liberty1570

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 king ranch
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this on my end.
My Ford does it in the morning and does it in the evening has something to do with the sensor they sold it to me knowing it had this problem this problem now the part is on back order indefinitely would not have purchased knowing this issue
Sponsored