• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

$12,500 tax credit possible?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Just not proud of taking welfare from taxpayers, especially when I can afford it.
That is the gripe about the Tesla handouts, do people who can afford $150k cars deserve a taxpayer funded handout?
Aren’t they also Taxpayers?

But I agree that the State incentives have made more sense than Fed
Sponsored

BigDill

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Mustang GT 2016 Exploder [sic]
Just not proud of taking welfare from taxpayers, especially when I can afford it.
That is the gripe about the Tesla handouts, do people who can afford $150k cars deserve a taxpayer funded handout?
I don’t want to belabor this, but I am so confused by this statement. You get the tax credit (theoretically) just because you have the tax liability to be offset by the $7,500 credit. If you are not a net tax payer, you do not get the credit. This is really no different from saying that if you sell an asset within a year you get taxes as ordinary income vs selling the asset after holding it for a year and taking the 15% cap gain rate. Or being able to take an education credit, or a SALT credit. Just like most other credits, there is no requirement for you to claim the credit.

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
We just passed an EV bill here in OK. Says we have great EV charging places here. When I look at share plug I am not seeing it.
https://www.thecentersquare.com/okl...cle_a75cdd44-a925-11eb-9aa9-c3dd16313e6f.html
There are quite a few DCFC showing on PlugShare.com in Oklahoma. If your new to PlugShare make sure you have the right filters selected. Plug type should be CCS, also turn on fee required or you will only see free stations. I just checked and saw about 120 DCFC locations in Ok.

FatmanOSU

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT Lightning, 2022 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Sales
There are quite a few DCFC showing on PlugShare.com in Oklahoma. If your new to PlugShare make sure you have the right filters selected. Plug type should be CCS, also turn on fee required or you will only see free stations. I just checked and saw about 120 DCFC locations in Ok.
It is decent, but not every 50 miles on hwys. North I-35 needs more. East I-40 and Hwy 412. Those are all routes that I use and charges are not quite there.

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
This is not how it works.

The limiting amount is your total tax liability for the year, not what you owe at the end of the year after withholdings.

For example, if you paid in nothing all year, what you owe at the end of the year is your total tax liability and THAT is what you go by.

If your total tax liability is $10,000, but you've paid in $10,000 over the course of the year, what you "owe" at the end of the year is $0, right?

But if you get the tax credit, they'll give you BACK $7,500 because you effectively overpaid by $7,500.

On the other hand, if your total tax liability is $5,000, and you've paid in $5,000 over the course of the year, what you owe at the end is $0 (not including the tax credit).

This time, though, they'll only give you a check back for $5000 because they won't give you back MORE than your total tax liability.

Basically, the amount of taxes you pay for the year cannot be net of $0, but it cannot be LESS than $0.

Hopefully that made sense.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
It carries over to your next tax year if you can’t use it all the first year. I can’t think of a scenario where a person can afford a $60k EV that can’t use the write off over a tax year or two. It has been mentioned a couple of times but the new Biden plan would make it a refund check, irrelevant of your tax burden.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
It carries over to your next tax year if you can’t use it all the first year. I can’t think of a scenario where a person can afford a $60k EV that can’t use the write off over a tax year or two. It has been mentioned a couple of times but the new Biden plan would make it a refund check, irrelevant of your tax burden.
Just to clarify, the current credit does not carry over. If you can't take the whole thing the first year, it's gone.

But you're right, the new plan (which hasn't passed yet) would be that it's a refundable credit, so you get the whole amount/benefit regardless of total tax liability.

tkeru408

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2022 F150 Lightning Preorder
Originally asked this question in another thread where tax credits came up, but it's more relevant to ask in this thread so moving it to here...

Under the new bill (as the draft is currently written), would vehicles over $80K retain the $7.5K credit or would the credit disappear entirely? Seems there would be significant pushback from vehicle manufacturers (and their lobbyists) if it went away entirely for vehicles over $80K. That would impact all Lightning Platinums and some Lightning Lariats. It might also lead to a lot of vehicles being sold for $79,995!

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
We have to wait for the bill to pass. We have plenty of time...

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Under the new bill (as the draft is currently written), would vehicles over $80K retain the $7.5K credit or would the credit disappear entirely? Seems there would be significant pushback from vehicle manufacturers (and their lobbyists) if it went away entirely for vehicles over $80K. That would impact all Lightning Platinums and some Lightning Lariats. It might also lead to a lot of vehicles being sold for $79,995!
I think new bill will replace the old one.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
We have to wait for the bill to pass. We have plenty of time...
Agreed - I don't want to take this thread political, but given the current situation in D.C., I wouldn't expect any significant legislation to be passed in the next few years.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Agreed - I don't want to take this thread political, but given the current situation in D.C., I wouldn't expect any significant legislation to be passed in the next few years.
If the bill just requires 51 vote in senate, then it would pass.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If the bill just requires 51 vote in senate, then it would pass.
Agreed - but the filibuster isn't going anywhere anytime soon
Sponsored