• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

$12,500 tax credit possible?

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator

BigDill

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Mustang GT 2016 Exploder [sic]
Possible, but I wouldn’t say probable. Seems like we can’t get people to agree in which day it is, let alone passing any proposed bills.

That said, I am pulling for this hard. Having the ability to get 12.5k in credits makes this truck a no brainer for me.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Possible, but I wouldn’t say probable. Seems like we can’t get people to agree in which day it is, let alone passing any proposed bills.

That said, I am pulling for this hard. Having the ability to get 12.5k in credits makes this truck a no brainer for me.
It’s totally probable. It’s part of the infrastructure bill. They have the votes in the House. The Senate’s rules allow it to be passed through Reconciliation since it’s a budgetary matter. A Filibuster cannot be used against it. They did the same when passing the last stimulus package.

It’s pretty much a certainty that the bill will pass. The only question is whether the EV credit will be amended during the process.

BigDill

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Mustang GT 2016 Exploder [sic]
It’s totally probable. It’s part of the infrastructure bill. They have the votes in the House. The Senate’s rules allow it to be passed through Reconciliation since it’s a budgetary matter. A Filibuster cannot be used against it. They did the same when passing the last stimulus package.

It’s pretty much a certainty that the bill will pass. The only question is whether the EV credit will be amended during the process.
I totally agree with your logic and the inevitability of the bill passing. What I am less confident in is that the additional $5,000 of incentives will be included. I think an expansion of the credit to 500 or 600 thousand units is much more probable, and perhaps even the additional $2,500 for the US manufactured units. But the totality of it seems unlikely to me. Then again, the 2022 lightning would be my 7th Ford, so that should tell you how much I know and how smart I am not.

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
If you want it, write to your Congressional reps and Senators.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
While I'd be silly not to take advantage of the incentive if the bill passes, I don't think the truck really needs an incentive to sell. I'll be buying one regardless. Demand for the truck already outstrips supply, and it likely will for some time, so there are no shortages of buyers that will buy the truck regardless.

I do think an investment into EVs is worth considering, but subsidizing the price of expensive vehicles isn't the best place to spend that investment IMO. Charging infrastructure outside of Tesla is still pretty underwhelming, and a surge in that area (no pun intended) would drive more people to EVs (pun not intended there either).

Sponsored

Catmandu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota Sienna, 2022 F150 Lightning reserved
Don't worry too much, at least you guys get affordable health care!
ha! There is that.

But I'm hoping the Canadian existing EV tax credits get loosened/bumped up a bit. Federal is up to $5,000 for MSRP less than $45,000 (not much available at that price point) and Ontario had a $14,000 rebate incentive that our Premier cancelled.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I think everyone's bigger worry should be when EVs and every car for that matter starts getting taxed on mileage. Fuel taxes are already insufficient for needed road repair. When EVs reach a certain saturation, it's only a matter of time!

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
EV's are at about 2% market share so it is not a worry at all in the near future.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
VA already has an EV penalty that goes along with your registration. It's $88.20/year. Fuel efficient vehicles (over 25mpg) also pay a penalty.

In a way I don't have an issue with this, even being an EV owner. EVs are heavy (even a Leaf can be close to 2 tons) and heavy vehicles contribute more to road wear than a lighter one, all things being equal. Taxing to fund road maintenance and expansion as a function of miles driven per year and the weight of a vehicle would be a somewhat objective way of having those that contribute the most to the wear of the roads pay the most, though like any tax change, it will ruffle feathers somewhere and have ripple effects across things indirectly tied to transportation.
Sponsored