First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
I've got a question for those who have picked up their truck. Did Ford do away with the spare tire access hole key lock? Mine just has a plastic cover with a flip down cover and I'm wondering it I need to add it to the "bug the dealer" list.
Yes, they no longer provide a lock. Which is fine, because it is notorious for rusting/freezing up and not working. Out late at night, have a flat, and you can't get the dang lock off to get your spare? I'll pass. If you are worried about theft, buy a short cable and a quality lock that is weatherproof and secure it to the frame. But from what I hear, those spares are not worth the risk to steal.
Sponsored

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
For the $80k price tag they could maybe update the documentation. It would just need to be an asterisk added to the online manual for "if equipped."

FWIW, my dealer said it was probably "missed at the factory since it is one of the last things installed" and said they put one one order for my truck.

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
My truck has been delivered and picked up from Granger.

Speaking of spare tire locks, I got a key that I was told was for it but I just have a flip down cover, what does the key actually do?

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
My truck has been delivered and picked up from Granger.

Speaking of spare tire locks, I got a key that I was told was for it but I just have a flip down cover, what does the key actually do?
If there is no lock in the glove box (which would be weird), I would go back to the dealer and tell them that there is no lock. But unless you lube it regularly (twice a year?), I wouldn't put it on.
Sponsored