12” Screen shut off

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
On my way home today i made a call from my cell and the 12” screen went black. Would not turn on, radio would not turn off, I couldn’t change the radio station with the steering wheel buttons. I know there is a button to turn off the screen and that would not turn it on.

I pulled over and shut down the truck, opened the door and nothing. Tried it a few times. Went home another few miles and when I backed into the driveway the reverse cameras showed up. But the screen didn’t come back on when I went to park.

turned it off, went in the house for dinner and let it sit while I could stew.

went out after dinner and started up the truck. after the Ford symbol sat on the screen for what seemed like an eternity the screen cam back on and everything seemed normal.

anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
Are you on an Apple device? I heard about this issue and Ford is blaming it on Apple. Hasn’t happened to me yet, but people say it only happens when people with profile pictures on your phone calls you. Should be an easy fix for Ford.

(I have no one on my phone with profile pics)

OP
OP

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
Are you on an Apple device? I heard about this issue and Ford is blaming it on Apple. Hasn’t happened to me yet, but people say it only happens when people with profile pictures on your phone calls you. Should be an easy fix for Ford.

Yes, Apple phone but this caller was not one with a profile picture. I don’t think I have any profile pictures to be honest.

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Yes, Apple phone but this caller was not one with a profile picture. I don’t think I have any profile pictures to be honest.
Well time to stop buying apple. Truck or Apple phone! Hmmm I pick truck lol

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
Huh interesting.... concerning in any case, but I do personally hope they find an easy fix to it. My truck has under 200 miles, but I will do some stress testing to see if I can make it happen on mine

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Can’t be an Apple issue.
Apple has been around quite a bit longer than the big screens on the dash.

I have the 8” in mine and it occasionally does strange things.

Might be more of an issue with RAM or incompatible drivers.

As a general rule, I know where I’m going, so navigation is not all that necessary,
But I do need it for music and phone.

My screen freaks a little when a text or message comes in thru another app..

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
On my way home today i made a call from my cell and the 12” screen went black. Would not turn on, radio would not turn off, I couldn’t change the radio station with the steering wheel buttons. I know there is a button to turn off the screen and that would not turn it on.

I pulled over and shut down the truck, opened the door and nothing. Tried it a few times. Went home another few miles and when I backed into the driveway the reverse cameras showed up. But the screen didn’t come back on when I went to park.

went out after dinner and started up the truck. after the Ford symbol sat on the screen for what seemed like an eternity the screen cam back on and everything seemed normal.

This just happened to me on my way to work. Differences: Reverse cam did not come on for me, and I was still able to control music (Pause/Play, skip, etc) on steering wheel controls and the control buttons under the screen. I'm currently at work and it's only been about 5 mins since it happened so I will wait about an hour to see if it comes back on.

Android for me. Android Auto was active, Google Maps was on screen and streaming Amazon Prime music.

Only difference of note today over all the other days I've driven it was it was quite cold this morning and I had had the heater on (80*F directed out the dash vents) for about 5 mins prior to the screen shutting off. Since two of the dash vents are on either side of the screen, I'm thinking that the screen must have over-heat shut down protection. If this is the case this is quite concerning as it means you cannot have the heater on and use the center screen for very long. Also if it is that susceptible to "high" temps, how will it work in the summer heat?

I'm sure that when I go out later and turn it on, everything will operate as per normal again. Which will make taking this to the dealer a problem. I'll update when I know more.

Rich55Marshall

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
Exactly the same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Mind you, my truck is barely 3 weeks old. Yes, I have an iPhone, and I was on a call, and the screen went black - and didn't return to "normal" until sometime the next day. Dealer "re-flashed" the computer (??) and so far, everything's been fine. Not exactly the kind of thing that inspires confidence.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
This just happened to me on my way to work. Differences: Reverse cam did not come on for me, and I was still able to control music (Pause/Play, skip, etc) on steering wheel controls and the control buttons under the screen. I'm currently at work and it's only been about 5 mins since it happened so I will wait about an hour to see if it comes back on.

Android for me. Android Auto was active, Google Maps was on screen and streaming Amazon Prime music.

Only difference of note today over all the other days I've driven it was it was quite cold this morning and I had had the heater on (80*F directed out the dash vents) for about 5 mins prior to the screen shutting off. Since two of the dash vents are on either side of the screen, I'm thinking that the screen must have over-heat shut down protection. If this is the case this is quite concerning as it means you cannot have the heater on and use the center screen for very long. Also if it is that susceptible to "high" temps, how will it work in the summer heat?

I'm sure that when I go out later and turn it on, everything will operate as per normal again. Which will make taking this to the dealer a problem. I'll update when I know more.
So an update: Screen did NOT reset itself, and I just dropped it at the dealer. To their credit they immediately put me into an XLT "rental" until mine is fixed.

As a side note; I am surprised by the amount and level of differences in the interiors that appears to be based on trim level. The interior of the XLT is quite different from the interior of my Lariat. It's quite surprising.

Ben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford f150
Occupation
Carpenter/general contractor

Ya I’ve just had this happen except no phone call just died for no reason I understand. I have a long list of issues with this truck I guess I’ll have to contact the dealer

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Don’t have my truck yet but the general sense I get from reading all the issues on this forum is that the software isn’t fully baked yet. Unfortunately that’s very common with lots of theses these days as manufacturers (of all sorts of things) figure they can ship it now and then finish it off later with ota updates.

Sounds like there is a good sized update planned for Q3, hopefully that will polish a lot of these rough edges.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
So an update: Screen did NOT reset itself, and I just dropped it at the dealer. To their credit they immediately put me into an XLT "rental" until mine is fixed.

As a side note; I am surprised by the amount and level of differences in the interiors that appears to be based on trim level. The interior of the XLT is quite different from the interior of my Lariat. It's quite surprising.
Stupid question but what are the big stand-out differences? besides cloth and leather

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stupid question but what are the big stand-out differences? besides cloth and leather
Based on my quick observations:

-The quality feel of the interior materials; hard plastics vs. softer/textured plastics vs. leather,

-The fitment of the interior; you don't get the impression that the same amount of time or care was taken in assembling the interior of the XLT that was done in the Lariat,

-The exterior rake of the vehicle; the gap between the top of the rear tires vs. the front on the XLT (4X4) is significantly more noticeable than that of the Lariat (FX4). I now understand why so many people want to install a leveling kit,

-The whole 40/20/40 seat vs. the 40/console/40 seat; somehow the 40/20/40 just feels more thrown together than the console, and as a side note of that...

-The column shifter vs the console shifter; The column shifter also just feels more cheap than the console shifter. Not only does it feel cheaper, but you don't get any sense of "permanence" once you select a gear, it just feels like it's going to slide back into neutral if you hit a bump hard enough,

-Smoothness of the engine idling; I haven't been bothered enough to look up what engine this has in it, other than it's not the V8. I will say however that this one does not idle as smoothly as the V8, nor does it start up as quickly using the dreaded auto start/stop feature as the V8. Also it does not seem to be getting much better MPG than the V8, so I really don't see the point in it,

-Manual folding vs. elect folding vs. elect folding tow mirrors; I am a huge fan of the Tow mirrors that I got on mine, but surprisingly enough my second favorite is the manual folding mirrors on this XLT. They seem to be a better overall fit and offer more of a field of view than the standard elect folding ones which appear to be a different shape,

-Turn signal noise; This one may just be nit-picky, but the turn signal in the XLT seems to be much louder and more grating on the nerves than the one in the Lariat. So much so that I find myself turning it off while stopped at a light for a long period of time.

I will say that this is just based off my driving this particular XLT for the last couple of days. I'm also certain that many of these same comparisons could be made between the Limited, KR, and Lariat. I do however find myself wishing they would hurry up and finish with my truck as soon as possible though. The XLT is by no means a bad truck, it's not the one I want, nor bought.

To bring this back on topic, I will add that they have not yet finished diagnosing my screen failure, other than to say that it did come back on but there was an "error code" that they were going to have to look into further. While it's in they are also going to center the bed to the cab, remove the rust and paint the rear axle, and replace the tailgate top trim piece that got scrapped up pretty badly when the Line-X was installed.

EDIT: The engine in the loaner XLT is 2.7L EcoBoost based on the VIN digit of "P"

Last edited:

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Based on my quick observations:

-The quality feel of the interior materials; hard plastics vs. softer/textured plastics vs. leather,

-The fitment of the interior; you don't get the impression that the same amount of time or care was taken in assembling the interior of the XLT that was done in the Lariat,

-The exterior rake of the vehicle; the gap between the top of the rear tires vs. the front on the XLT (4X4) is significantly more noticeable than that of the Lariat (FX4). I now understand why so many people want to install a leveling kit,

-The whole 40/20/40 seat vs. the 40/console/40 seat; somehow the 40/20/40 just feels more thrown together than the console, and as a side note of that...

-The column shifter vs the console shifter; The column shifter also just feels more cheap than the console shifter. Not only does it feel cheaper, but you don't get any sense of "permanence" once you select a gear, it just feels like it's going to slide back into neutral if you hit a bump hard enough,

-Smoothness of the engine idling; I haven't been bothered enough to look up what engine this has in it, other than it's not the V8. I will say however that this one does not idle as smoothly as the V8, nor does it start up as quickly using the dreaded auto start/stop feature as the V8. Also it does not seem to be getting much better MPG than the V8, so I really don't see the point in it,

-Manual folding vs. elect folding vs. elect folding tow mirrors; I am a huge fan of the Tow mirrors that I got on mine, but surprisingly enough my second favorite is the manual folding mirrors on this XLT. They seem to be a better overall fit and offer more of a field of view than the standard elect folding ones which appear to be a different shape,

-Turn signal noise; This one may just be nit-picky, but the turn signal in the XLT seems to be much louder and more grating on the nerves than the one in the Lariat. So much so that I find myself turning it off while stopped at a light for a long period of time.

I will say that this is just based off my driving this particular XLT for the last couple of days. I'm also certain that many of these same comparisons could be made between the Limited, KR, and Lariat. I do however find myself wishing they would hurry up and finish with my truck as soon as possible though. The XLT is by no means a bad truck, it's not the one I want, nor bought.

To bring this back on topic, I will add that they have not yet finished diagnosing my screen failure, other than to say that it did come back on but there was an "error code" that they were going to have to look into further. While it's in they are also going to center the bed to the cab, remove the rust and paint the rear axle, and replace the tailgate top trim piece that got scrapped up pretty badly when the Line-X was installed.

EDIT: The engine in the loaner XLT is 2.7L EcoBoost based on the VIN digit of "P"
thanks for the detailed write-up.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
I'm in an XLT and can attest to this 100%! I've gotten used to it by now, but I still get comments from passengers and anyone on the other end of a phone call about how loud the signal is. Reminds me of my old '83 Cutlass lol.

I normally do 2 or 3 PA-FL runs a year... between the signal and the lane-keeping "cancelled" ding, I might face some issues with my sleeping passengers. ?
Sponsored