10R80 hiccups this week

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Hi guys, I’m at 4,500 miles currently and this week my 10R80 has starting to get me a little concerned. It seems like it is getting “stuck” or slipping from 3rd to 4th gear occasionally. Today the shift took what felt like 3 seconds from 3rd to 4th and then it banged into 4th pretty hard. Really don’t want to be sunk waiting at the dealer for them to tell me they can’t replicate.

Are these the same as the 6R80 was on my old Expedition where you can pull the battery for a while and it will relearn the shifts? Or do I have to do anything extra to delete its memory? Seems like a software glitch. A few guys on the Expedition forum have been having the CDF clutch drum fail on the 10R80’s on their 2022’s I am hoping I am not following their footsteps.
Sponsored

Last edited:

slow3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
IDK, mines been acting up since the last PCM update. I get a 3-4 delay when cold and I get a really shitty 4-3 downshift coming to a stop around town. If I cycle thru all the gears its usually fine, but if I never make it past say 6th it always kicks down like crap when stopping.

I tried a reset of adaptive tables and the issue persisted. Checked my fluid level, good there.

Weird. I hope you figure yours out!

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Following. If its taking a while, I wonder if it's a valve? Is there any temperature this is typically happening at? Mostly at startup?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi guys, I’m at 4,500 miles currently and this week my 10R80 has starting to get me a little concerned. It seems like it is getting “stuck” or slipping from 3rd to 4th gear occasionally. Today the shift took what felt like 3 seconds from 3rd to 4th and then it banged into 4th pretty hard. Really don’t want to be sunk waiting at the dealer for them to tell me they can’t replicate.

Are these the same as the 6R80 was on my old Expedition where you can pull the battery for a while and it will relearn the shifts? Or do I have to do anything extra to delete its memory? Seems like a software glitch. A few guys on the Expedition forum have been having the CDF clutch drum fail on the 10R80’s on their 2022’s I am hoping I am not following their footsteps.
Hello, James! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this concern. Thanks!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
IDK, mines been acting up since the last PCM update. I get a 3-4 delay when cold and I get a really shitty 4-3 downshift coming to a stop around town. If I cycle thru all the gears its usually fine, but if I never make it past say 6th it always kicks down like crap when stopping.

I tried a reset of adaptive tables and the issue persisted. Checked my fluid level, good there.

Weird. I hope you figure yours out!
Good morning- I can look into this for you. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership information at your earliest convenience.

Sponsored

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Tremor
Occupation
Law enforcement
Ya know mine did some really bizarre shifting from the time I bought it until maybe 3-4 months ago. I now have 7000 on the odometer and it seems to have gotten better. Maybe it’s just a learning deal for the trucks computer. It’s not 100 percent stopped but gotten much, much better. I kind of lean on the side of it being the temperament of this particular tranny.
Please keep us advised as there may some mechanical concern or something in the early stages of a more serious issue.

CaliF150

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SuperCrew STX 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hope Ford dealer figures this one out. Making me worry about the transmission. I am only at 1400 miles after 5 month of owning so far no issues. But I drive my truck very carefully. I do know previous years had issues with the 10 speed. Was not aware Ford also had issues on other vehicles as well.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Ya know mine did some really bizarre shifting from the time I bought it until maybe 3-4 months ago. I now have 7000 on the odometer and it seems to have gotten better. Maybe it’s just a learning deal for the trucks computer. It’s not 100 percent stopped but gotten much, much better. I kind of lean on the side of it being the temperament of this particular tranny.
Please keep us advised as there may some mechanical concern or something in the early stages of a more serious issue.
Hi Robert! I can look into your F-150’s concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your F-150’s VIN?

YouPutz

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a 3.5 Max Tow BlueCruise
Hello I am also curious about the relearn. I am beyond frustrated with the quality and performance issues with this 2022 truck, coming from a 2019 that was rock solid and perfect.

I have been to the dealer multiple times for the shift issues with no resolution. Now listen to this, the last 2 times they reset it, it actually drove really good for about a week, and it picks up the bad behavior after a week or 2 and just keeps getting worse. Why can't it just drive like the day the reset it? It's as if it is mis-learning something. I also notice if I shift to a different drive mode like ECO it improves. Is that because its using different parts of the tables that haven't been mis-learned yet? Or is it just that the engine / shift sequence is slower?

I have 2 major problems. The 4 to 3 downshift can really catch you off guard approaching a stop, with a bad surge and a bang, but other times is fine. The other problem seems to be a shudder when taking the foot off the gas and re-applying it. The shudder sometimes it is so bad it feel like mechanical play, like a bad u-joint kind of feeling. Driveline is solid, and the issue goes away with a relearn, so its gotta be something in the torque converter or trans.

Its embarrassing when people ask "whats wrong with your truck", "isnt this a new truck whats broken?" On top of all of the other quality issues this has been frustrating. I have found several workmanship issues and there are many rattles coming from the seat and dash, terrible for a 75K truck.

Hopefully the OP get some answers to his post.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hello I am also curious about the relearn. I am beyond frustrated with the quality and performance issues with this 2022 truck, coming from a 2019 that was rock solid and perfect.

I have been to the dealer multiple times for the shift issues with no resolution. Now listen to this, the last 2 times they reset it, it actually drove really good for about a week, and it picks up the bad behavior after a week or 2 and just keeps getting worse. Why can't it just drive like the day the reset it? It's as if it is mis-learning something. I also notice if I shift to a different drive mode like ECO it improves. Is that because its using different parts of the tables that haven't been mis-learned yet? Or is it just that the engine / shift sequence is slower?

I have 2 major problems. The 4 to 3 downshift can really catch you off guard approaching a stop, with a bad surge and a bang, but other times is fine. The other problem seems to be a shudder when taking the foot off the gas and re-applying it. The shudder sometimes it is so bad it feel like mechanical play, like a bad u-joint kind of feeling. Driveline is solid, and the issue goes away with a relearn, so its gotta be something in the torque converter or trans.

Its embarrassing when people ask "whats wrong with your truck", "isnt this a new truck whats broken?" On top of all of the other quality issues this has been frustrating. I have found several workmanship issues and there are many rattles coming from the seat and dash, terrible for a 75K truck.

Hopefully the OP get some answers to his post.
Good morning! Go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and dealer info, and I’ll look into this concern for you. Thanks!
Sponsored