Sponsored

1000+ lbs over payload. How do you flex ?

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
There was a television programin the 1980's, The Fall Guy, where they showed pickup trucks making incredible jumps. What the public did not realize was that after each jump they needed to replace the truck. The stunt people finally built a custom pickup with the engine behind the cab to reduce the weight over the front wheels and enabled it to last for multiple jumps and takes.

Flexing of metal leads to fatigue and in turn to failure. A fully boxed frame flexes a great deal less and is going to last a lot longer.

For light and medium duty pickup trucks the payload is calculated at the factory based on how the truck is equipped and its seating capacity. Each passenger seat is credited with adding 150 lbs to the load of the truck. There is also the limiting factor which is often the wheels and tires and not the rear axle or rear suspension.

My stock GM 2500 had a payload capacity from the factory of 2800 lbs but the AAM rear axle was rated at 11,000 lbs so the limitation was with the leaf springs and the tires. I swapped out the factory tires rated at 2700 lbs for Nitto ones rated at 3750 lbs and I added a double leaf set of SuperSprings. Next was controlled dampening which I accomplished with Rancho adjustable XL shocks at all four wheels. With a 3700 lb slide-in camper load the truck was level and it handled acceptably in tight turns were more than 50% of the load was being supported by the outside wheel.
Sponsored

OP
OP
UGADawg96

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
There was a television programin the 1980's, The Fall Guy, where they showed pickup trucks making incredible jumps. What the public did not realize was that after each jump they needed to replace the truck. The stunt people finally built a custom pickup with the engine behind the cab to reduce the weight over the front wheels and enabled it to last for multiple jumps and takes.
I loved that show and never knew that!!!

Ford F-150 1000+ lbs over payload. How do you flex ? 1673117288054

Reactions: 780

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
he really needs a set of boggie wheels like on heavy cement trucks to help control that torque arm

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The problem with this wasn't so much of a payload rating -- regardless the options, that would have broken any of the 3500 frames in the exact same manner. This had to do with where the weight was. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that at least 3klbs were behind the tailgate. Poor mass placement combined with shitty roads = fatigue crack. Had the weight been over the rear axle instead of 5' behind it, this wouldn't have occurred. Given that's where most of the storage space was, I'd bet this guy had all the weight in the rear because it was the easiest spot to load it.

I'd love to have seen a scale ticket as configured, vs empty truck. I'm surprised he didn't notice how much weight was missing from the front axle. I bet "it drove great, the steering was very light!"

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
wheel.
I loved that show and never knew that!!!

1673117288054.png
There's a replica of that truck currently for sale in Ontario:

Ford F-150 1000+ lbs over payload. How do you flex ? Screenshot 2023-01-10 103416

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/hamilton/1985-chevrolet-pickup-c-k20-fall-guys-edition/m5283604

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
The problem with this wasn't so much of a payload rating -- regardless the options, that would have broken any of the 3500 frames in the exact same manner. This had to do with where the weight was. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that at least 3klbs were behind the tailgate. Poor mass placement combined with shitty roads = fatigue crack. Had the weight been over the rear axle instead of 5' behind it, this wouldn't have occurred. Given that's where most of the storage space was, I'd bet this guy had all the weight in the rear because it was the easiest spot to load it.

I'd love to have seen a scale ticket as configured, vs empty truck. I'm surprised he didn't notice how much weight was missing from the front axle. I bet "it drove great, the steering was very light!"
you are applying logic
not to beat up some drivers, but the consenus from RAM folks is the 3500 is the top dawg and can pull anything and carry anything because it has a cummins engine
its the mindset and i see it everyday at rv parks
same with dipsticks using a f250 to pull 25k lb fifth wheel campers with 3.31 gears and wonder why the truck is beat to crap

very few actually load or weigh the load or rv

but yes a look at his actual weight sheet would be nice

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
you are applying logic
not to beat up some drivers, but the consenus from RAM folks is the 3500 is the top dawg and can pull anything and carry anything because it has a cummins engine
its the mindset and i see it everyday at rv parks
same with dipsticks using a f250 to pull 25k lb fifth wheel campers with 3.31 gears and wonder why the truck is beat to crap

very few actually load or weigh the load or rv

but yes a look at his actual weight sheet would be nice
The e-bikes or motorcycles he had on the back were 8' from the rear axle. Curious what he had on there. One image they're both covered, the next one is missing. No doubt the ultimate straw that broke the camel's back.

I like how he said he'd just get a 5500. Key point -- it's been on it since day one. Someone should tell him if he wants to full-time RV, perhaps consider one. For the same price he could have gotten an RV and a small errand vehicle to pull behind it.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
The e-bikes or motorcycles he had on the back were 8' from the rear axle. Curious what he had on there. One image they're both covered, the next one is missing. No doubt the ultimate straw that broke the camel's back.

I like how he said he'd just get a 5500. Key point -- it's been on it since day one. Someone should tell him if he wants to full-time RV, perhaps consider one. For the same price he could have gotten an RV and a small errand vehicle to pull behind it.
i saw a few weeks ago a medium duty truck with the LARGE lance camper attached to the flat bed.
then guy had tool boxes all around it. looked interesting, but the 4 foot climb to get in had to SUCK

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i saw a few weeks ago a medium duty truck with the LARGE lance camper attached to the flat bed.
then guy had tool boxes all around it. looked interesting, but the 4 foot climb to get in had to SUCK
That's pic material :D

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
When I put my 3700+ lb slide-in camper in the bed of the truck it had to be within 2 inches of the front of the bed. At a CAT scale the front wheels carried an additional 220 lbs and the rear wheels carried 3,840 lbs.

My payload changes were designed to increase the factory payload capacity from 2800 lbs to 4000 lbs with the addition of the SuperSprings and using higher load capacity tires. With proper load management with the additional springs and upgraded to adjustable shocks there was no porpoising and no added stress to the frame.

The GM 2011 2500/3500 frame strength was greatly increased from prior years and this was done in large part to support a mount for a 5th wheel trailer. The stronger frame is why I chose the GM truck over its competitors. It is one of the reasons I did not go with a dualie where the wider wheel track puts a lot more stress on the frame.

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My payload changes were designed to increase the factory payload capacity from 2800 lbs to 4000 lbs with the addition of the SuperSprings and using higher load capacity tires.
You can not change your factory payload rating. If you are hauling 4,000 lbs on a vehicle rated for 2,800 lbs, you are grossly over weight.

Ford F-150 1000+ lbs over payload. How do you flex ? download

Ford F-150 1000+ lbs over payload. How do you flex ? Ford-F-150-Camper-2

Ford F-150 1000+ lbs over payload. How do you flex ? wHe9Jkm

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
I'm not saying the Ram and the Super Duty weren't overloaded, but if enough salt, moisture, and time is contributed to any truck frame, you can reduce it's payload to zero.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not saying the Ram and the Super Duty weren't overloaded, but if enough salt, moisture, and time is contributed to any truck frame, you can reduce it's payload to zero.
Sure can!
Ford F-150 1000+ lbs over payload. How do you flex ? images

Ford F-150 1000+ lbs over payload. How do you flex ? What-Year-Toyota-Tacoma-Parts-are-Interchangeable

Ford F-150 1000+ lbs over payload. How do you flex ? download

Ford F-150 1000+ lbs over payload. How do you flex ? toyota-tacoma-2004-with-rusty-fr
Sponsored