First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 powerboost
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Has anyone actually had a dealer solve 10 speed transmission issues? I love my 2022 powerboost except the transmission. It is rough to say the least. Jumps a lot when switching gears, mostly 1-5, it jumps enough I won't let my kids drive it because they are 15$17 years old with not enough driving experience to know how to handle it. It regularly skips 2nd gear completely and is just rough for a new truck. That is my only complaint, the rest of the truck is awesome. I'm just curious if anyone has had issues with their transmission solved by the dealership.
Sponsored

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
I haven't. I've had the horrible 6-5 downshift for over 8K miles. Dealer supposedly performed TSB update. Was great for about 3 weeks, and then came back.

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
They all skip second. The only time I've seen 2nd gear was just momentarily while in EV drive-mode. Sometimes what makes the tranny appear rough is the transition from EV to ICE at the same time that it's shifting from 1st to 3rd. There's a whole lot going on in the first few seconds of acceleration. If I stay in EV mode only (i.e. gently starting downhill it's possible) then the 1st-5th shifts are flawless. That tells me that it's not just the tranny, it's the whole combination of power sources and transmission in flux which gives it that slight "stumbling" feel.

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
The truck will stay in 2'nd when accelerating harder than normal (or in other modes), my problem is when I make it to 8'th and come to a stop it will stay in 8'th and when I take off (slowly) and it slams down into 1'st then shifts hard to 3'rd. I have to get this fixed!

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
They all skip second. The only time I've seen 2nd gear was just momentarily while in EV drive-mode. Sometimes what makes the tranny appear rough is the transition from EV to ICE at the same time that it's shifting from 1st to 3rd. There's a whole lot going on in the first few seconds of acceleration. If I stay in EV mode only (i.e. gently starting downhill it's possible) then the 1st-5th shifts are flawless. That tells me that it's not just the tranny, it's the whole combination of power sources and transmission in flux which gives it that slight "stumbling" feel.
I've noticed that a little shake I will occasionally mistake for a rough shift but is actually just ICE ignition. I figured it out when I've watched it happen and there was no shift before or after. Ive also noticed the RPM guage going to zero in EV mode or up on ignition is slightly delayed which can mess with your perception.

Originally it was much worse. The 1-3 harsh shift mentioned above and the engine switching was worse. I had this TSB done last year: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/powerboost-tsb-harsh-1-3-upshift.7204/ which fixed those issues that are mentioned in this thread and it's been fine since. I often see 2nd in normal mode now. Unfortunately it seems to only apply to a limited number of 21s.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steve N

Steve N

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 powerboost
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Thanks for sharing, I searched the site and never came across this, I'll take a screenshot to the dealer see if they can try it on my truck

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Thanks for sharing, I searched the site and never came across this, I'll take a screenshot to the dealer see if they can try it on my truck
The PCM software has been updated at least one more time since the earlier TSB came out last November to address the harsh 1-3 upshift. Take them copies of these TSBs and ask the dealer to reprogram the PCM:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10214124-0001.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10203654-0001.pdf

After programming, you’ll need to drive your truck around to relearn the adaptive tables but after that the transmission issues should improve.

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
This trans seems great to me when you roll into the gas lightly but sometimes it just cant seem to make up its mind when I'm at a roll and get into it.

I also can hear when cold down shifts from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st but that seems to go away once its warmed up.

I'm finding that "tow" mode actually seems a little more solid when it comes to some spirited driving vs Sport mode which hangs the gears to long for my liking.

Hawk75

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 Lariat FX4 502a magnetic grey
This trans seems great to me when you roll into the gas lightly but sometimes it just cant seem to make up its mind when I'm at a roll and get into it.

I also can hear when cold down shifts from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st but that seems to go away once its warmed up.

I'm finding that "tow" mode actually seems a little more solid when it comes to some spirited driving vs Sport mode which hangs the gears to long for my liking.
This sounds about like my experience. I have a 22 platinum 3.5EB built in late April and delivered late May. I'm about ready to get rid of it due to the transmission after less than 4k miles. I can't necessarily pinpoint a common timing for the clunks and rough shifts. As mentioned above, if I have an opportunity to roll into the gas smoothly or stop smoothly the transmission tends to work better. Anything less than perfect driving tends to result in some rough shifts or clunks. If there is something consistent it would be downshifts into 3rd being rough. I'm just tired of having to try to accelerate and brake perfectly to get a smooth ride. I think my last effort will be to see if there are any TSBs available based on my build or if I have the latest. Open to any other ideas or fixes anyone has had success with. This is my 5th straight F150 and it might be my last.....I miss my 6spd 2015 Lariat 3.5EB.

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
I feel the same way.

If I baby the trans and roll into speed smoothly it works great.

But sometimes this transmission just doesn’t know what it wants to do especially when it comes to downshifting.

I shouldn’t have to drive in sport or tow mode constantly to make it more responsive. I may ask about it the next time I’m at the dealership. I had read several times that there was a TSB or they reset some thing so that it can relearn.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hawk75

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I feel the same way.

If I baby the trans and roll into speed smoothly it works great.

But sometimes this transmission just doesn’t know what it wants to do especially when it comes to downshifting.

I shouldn’t have to drive in sport or tow mode constantly to make it more responsive. I may ask about it the next time I’m at the dealership. I had read several times that there was a TSB or they reset some thing so that it can relearn.
Per your suggestion I drove in tow haul mode this morning to work. I would agree it did a better job than normal in shifting, although still not as smooth as it should be. And I agree, I shouldn't be required to drive in tow haul all the time to get better shifting!

I'll be taking it to my dealer in the next couple weeks to see what they have to say. I'm guessing they'll want to reset the transmission control for it to "relearn" but I don't hold out much hope that will do anything. From what I've read it doesn't seem to be a long term fix.

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
I found tow to be a nice transition between Sport and Normal for some spirited driving.

Sport just hangs the gears way to long for my liking.

Seems kind of hard on the truck to realistically drive using Sport for anything other than a romp around the neighborhood.

Hawk75

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wondering if there is anyone on this forum that has had transmission issues like these actually fixed? Has anyone just had their transmission module flashed and "re-learned" and it fixed everything? Maybe their are TSBs out there for my truck, but considering a 4/28/2022 build date I'd be surprised

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT (302A) 5.0L RockyRidge K2
It’s not something you’re going to want to hear but the Livernois Tuner is a BIG improvement in the transmission tune compared to Ford, but it’s an expensive option to what “should” be fixed by Ford.

Hawk75

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking it up online, looks like $799 for the tuner? If that will give me a buttery smooth transmission plus some performance improvement I would consider it. Does this kind of tune void the warranty?
Sponsored