First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Sport PB, 20 Escape Titanium Hybrid
Occupation
Distributor/Dirt Mover
I love everything about my 21 F-150 Lariat PowerBoost except the transmission clunks 80% of the time upshifting into 3rd gear. I have 3800 miles on it now. I drive like my Grandmother but I can see over the steering wheel. My 2015 Ecoboost 6 speed was smooth as silk. Is this fixable in software from a dealer or is it just the way it is? Thx.
Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I have not experienced this. I have about 2800 miles on mine and I am easy on mine. I don't care for it skipping 2nd on an easy throttle, but I understand that it is calibrated towards economy.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I love everything about my 21 F-150 Lariat PowerBoost except the transmission clunks 80% of the time upshifting into 3rd gear. I have 3800 miles on it now. I drive like my Grandmother but I can see over the steering wheel. My 2015 Ecoboost 6 speed was smooth as silk. Is this fixable in software from a dealer or is it just the way it is? Thx.
Good morning, Rick. Would you please send us a private message with your VIN and mileage so we can look into the transmission issue for you? I'd love to help you sort this out so you can get back to driving your F-150 Lariat carefree!

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
Rick ... me too, I've had the dealer reset/reprogram the transmission which really didn't make any difference, more times than not there is an abrupt surge as the transmission shifts into 3rd gear, regardless of how gently I'm driving/accelerating. Additionally, less often (but often enough!) I'll also get a whole series of hard downshifts as I roll to a stop from freeway speeds - hard enough that it almost seems like the engine momentarily stutters/stalls. Overall, the transmission is disappointing - seems like between the gas-electric handoff and the sheer number of gears, the software can't quite get it right.

Tralfax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Same issue here, exactly. 5500 miles and the transition from 1st to 3rd is clunky but causes the entire truck to shudder/jump. Also having the issue with transition from battery to engine power, very rough. Please let us know if you get any help from ford?

Thanks!

Sponsored

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 platinum
Same exact issue here on my Platinum and also in 8th gear. ONLY 3 and 8 and I can duplicate this any time now after 6000 miles on it.

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2018 Mustang GT 2017 Lincoln MKZ
Good morning, Rick. Would you please send us a private message with your VIN and mileage so we can look into the transmission issue for you? I'd love to help you sort this out so you can get back to driving your F-150 Lariat carefree!
I hope Ford shares the solution with the rest of us. It seems like everyone with a 2021 F-150 has this problem. I know I do.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I hope Ford shares the solution with the rest of us. It seems like everyone with a 2021 F-150 has this problem. I know I do.
Really? Everyone? Hmmm

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Really? Everyone? Hmmm
To be fair, I said it "seems" like everyone. Out of curiosity, how does yours shift? Is your 1 to 3 shift nice and smooth to the point that you don't even realize there has been a shift? Or does yours shift sequentially, 1-2-3? Either way, I'm glad that you are not experiencing this problem.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer programmer
To be fair, I said it "seems" like everyone. Out of curiosity, how does yours shift? Is your 1 to 3 shift nice and smooth to the point that you don't even realize there has been a shift? Or does yours shift sequentially, 1-2-3? Either way, I'm glad that you are not experiencing this problem.
Yeah. 10th post on this thread. If there is another where this is rampant, I missed it. ?‍♂ Just saying.

I don't notice shifting. Very smooth. No complaints.

Sponsored

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer programmer
50 posts across those two threads and this one is not wide spread.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I have a Powerboost, shifting from 1 -> 3 is fairly smooth UNLESS the engine kicks on and engages at the same time as 3rd. It was a little more abrupt at first but smoothed out over time and now I barely notice. There are occasions where engine/motor/transmission/load come together just right to make it bad, but nothing will solve that.

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 platinum
This post is just newer. I posted this issue back in July and others told me there are numerous other posts PRIOR to mine. Dealerships know of it and are just saying to 'drive some miles on the truck...and it should go away', but after a 4000 mile road trip last month...still have it.

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 platinum
What is it 'exactly' thats being done on this issue? (in case we've missed the resolution)
Sponsored