Sponsored

10 First impressions on my new 2023 PB Lariat.

Tripdaddy95

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Avalanche Lariat SCrew PB BAP
3 weeks in
  1. So far I really enjoy it. Dare I say, I love it.
  2. in urban driving, moderate traffic, and speeds in the 30s to 50ish, i can get 24mpg. 10 to 20 mile trips are getting 20mpg to 22mpg (on trip computer) Short trips are in the teens, which is understandable. Too soon to realistically calc true overall MPG.
  3. the electric mode only kicks in when, pressing the brake for a bit, coasting or not taxing the engine, or stopped. when I attempt to accelerate from a stop with any realistic effort the engine kicks on.
  4. Sport Mode should be called "ludicrous speed" or OMG Mode. When quickly accelerating from a stop, even my 27 y/o son even said holy sheet.
  5. about 99% of the time I cannot tell when it switches to electric and back even if I am paying attention. Most times watching the tach is the only way I notice the engine kicked back on.
  6. a few times there are noticeable tranny shifts similar to what I have experienced in most newer vehicles with new electronic trannies. Usually when decelerating then abruptly accelerating before the tranny gets into the right gear.
  7. when it is cold outside (sub 32 to single digits like the week before Christmas 2022) the hybrid part and MPG suffers. Only 3 days of data here so other things may have been a factor.
  8. with heavy morning dew, the water channels into the deep groove on the hood (BAP and SAP pkgs) directly in front of the driver's view and splashes on the windshield when stopping. It is literally is like someone is squirting a water hose on the windshield.
  9. getting between 1//4 to 1/3 of my miles in electric mode.
  10. everyone loves the Avalanche color with the BAP
Sponsored

Grayson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting
I've noticed the same (#2-#7)

On one trip of 196 miles round trip, 36.6 were electric miles which showed 20.7mpg using Shell 93 octane. This was a mix of city and highway.

Glad you are enjoying your truck!

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Where are the photos my guy.....glad you're enjoying your truck!

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
with heavy morning dew, the water channels into the deep groove on the hood (BAP and SAP pkgs) directly in front of the driver's view and splashes on the windshield when stopping. It is literally is like someone is squirting a water hose on the windshield.
my wife’s 2019 does the same actually. Kind of takes getting used to.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tripdaddy95

Tripdaddy95

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Avalanche Lariat SCrew PB BAP
Last edited:

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
If you haven’t. You can set your main screen on EV coach (I believe what it’s called). This will show charge, discharge, and electric only. You can use these gauges to maximize electric regen while braking, as to stay out of mechanical braking. It will also show the potential available power/energy from the electric power train. You can use this to help with feathering the gas and staying in electric mode while accelerating.

Also #8 happens to me all the time. Really caught me off guard the first time.

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
This is one of the MOST useful screens and at the same time the largest waste of display space. They couldn't overlay this on any or all of the other screens? Or for that matter, incorporate this into the Spedo like the total waste of the eco coach? If I dove my truck hard enough to get the ECo out of the green range Id get ticked for unsafe driving.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
This is one of the MOST useful screens and at the same time the largest waste of display space. They couldn't overlay this on any or all of the other screens? Or for that matter, incorporate this into the Spedo like the total waste of the eco coach? If I dove my truck hard enough to get the ECo out of the green range Id get ticked for unsafe driving.
Agreed. Plenty of room and I’d love to have EV coach and the fuel Econ screen on the same page..

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
If they wanted to better utilize the echo coach then they could also have state of charge percentage, charge and discharge rates in amps. Then many of us wouldn’t have to have our phones hooked up to OBDLink to monitor battery info (as we aim for increasing efficiency).

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If they wanted to better utilize the echo coach then they could also have state of charge percentage, charge and discharge rates in amps. Then many of us wouldn’t have to have our phones hooked up to OBDLink to monitor battery info (as we aim for increasing efficiency).
Exactly!
It'd be so easy for there to be a matching graphic (motif) that simply displayed the value(s) of the SOC and Amps-in/Amps-out.

Those two values eventually make so much more sense as you learn to assimilate them with what the truck is doing.

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their cars.
3 weeks in
  1. So far I really enjoy it. Dare I say, I love it.
  2. in urban driving, moderate traffic, and speeds in the 30s to 50ish, i can get 24mpg. 10 to 20 mile trips are getting 20mpg to 22mpg (on trip computer) Short trips are in the teens, which is understandable. Too soon to realistically calc true overall MPG.
  3. the electric mode only kicks in when, pressing the brake for a bit, coasting or not taxing the engine, or stopped. when I attempt to accelerate from a stop with any realistic effort the engine kicks on.
  4. Sport Mode should be called "ludicrous speed" or OMG Mode. When quickly accelerating from a stop, even my 27 y/o son even said holy sheet.
  5. about 99% of the time I cannot tell when it switches to electric and back even if I am paying attention. Most times watching the tach is the only way I notice the engine kicked back on.
  6. a few times there are noticeable tranny shifts similar to what I have experienced in most newer vehicles with new electronic trannies. Usually when decelerating then abruptly accelerating before the tranny gets into the right gear.
  7. when it is cold outside (sub 32 to single digits like the week before Christmas 2022) the hybrid part and MPG suffers. Only 3 days of data here so other things may have been a factor.
  8. with heavy morning dew, the water channels into the deep groove on the hood (BAP and SAP pkgs) directly in front of the driver's view and splashes on the windshield when stopping. It is literally is like someone is squirting a water hose on the windshield.
  9. getting between 1//4 to 1/3 of my miles in electric mode.
  10. everyone loves the Avalanche color with the BAP
These are some great observations. Nice to hear the switch from electric and back is seamless!

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
You should see even better performance after about 3-4K miles. By that time with my 2021, I started to see 25MPG as a summer average, sometimes logging 29MPG.

Also, I'm totally convinced that the engine can benefit from high octane gas (92 is the highest I find in these parts)

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
#8 is funny and I noticed the same when I got my truck
My 20 Ranger did this as does the F150. Kind of a minor annoyance, but only happens once or twice then the water is gone so not a big deal.

cheesedogf150

First Name
CheeseDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
I agree with all your points, turn on the EV coach in your dash and use it for a few weeks. It really helped me understand how to maximize the time on electric.
Sponsored