• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

? Poll: Are you getting a 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning? ?⚡️

Are you getting a 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning??⚡️

• Total voters

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
We're getting a truck to use for long distance trips with a trailer, mostly around the western US from the Pacific coast to the Mississippi river. Long stretches of road with many miles between service stations. The range of the Lightning is not enough, so it's the Powerboost for us.

Assuming we take delivery before solid-state batteries are available.....
Sponsored

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
retired
Rising energy utility bills will definitely be increasing with the mass influx of electric vehicles hooking up to the grid, if the infrastructure can even handle it. You’re not buying gasoline, but you are still burning some sort of energy in its place to keep your vehicle charged up, and it has a price. A lot of people neglect to think about that when diving head first into the EV pool.
It seems like a valid point, and many oil lovers have used this argument often, as it is though, renewable energy is far out pacing electric cars, and with ford adding the ability to peek shave, then the problem is pretty much mute, and will most likely save you money, and cut down on the stress to the electric grid.

RJ_986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Take the fronk and give me a small gas generator. Plug in+hybrid with only electric drive? That would be cool.

I'll be sticking to my powerboost when/if it comes in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
It seems like a valid point, and many oil lovers have used this argument often, as it is though, renewable energy is far out pacing electric cars, and with ford adding the ability to peek shave, then the problem is pretty much mute, and will most likely save you money, and cut down on the stress to the electric grid.
Yes, there are many other energy sources that warrant further research for propelling automobiles. However, all anyone seems to want to develop is EV.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I had to vote 'no' because the initial production will be 5.5' bed only. I'll wait for 6.5' which likely means it won't be a 2022 model.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I had to vote 'no' because the initial production will be 5.5' bed only. I'll wait for 6.5' which likely means it won't be a 2022 model.

It will be interesting to see how to add cab and bed options as the model years progress. Adding a longer bed will effective that precious range....

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Also in CA here, we have been fortunate to avoid any blackouts here.

Something I thought would be cool when they showed the lightning as a possible backup power for your house...

why not take it to the next level and while plugged in, if you have a battery enabled solar system, allow the truck to be put into a mode that serves as an active battery similar to the whole house batteries so that if you aren’t driving that day it can supplement your power during peak rates.
i just saw a video that said the Lightning can be used during peak (just like a house battery) and then charge it back up during off peak. So you save money on your electricity and have a full battery in the morning.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
What do you have that won’t fit in a 5.5’ bed?

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
What do you have that won’t fit in a 5.5’ bed?
It's not so much a matter of won't fit as it is convenience. Just this morning, I hauled a stack of 6' tables. Slide them in and shut the tailgate as opposed to having to strap them in so they won't slide out. Also, 8' sheet goods ride completely supported on the tailgate.

Capacity is also a concern. I've gone camping and made trips to the farm where my 6.5' bed was completely packed full various gear.

I've previously owned trucks with 8' beds and back then I swore I'd never go to a "shortbed" (That meant 6.5' back then). I think 6.5 is my minimum. Most anything that fits in a 5.5' bed will fit in my Explorer with the seats folded down.

My current truck is a Supercab, not full double, so it's the same wheelbase as a double cab 5.5'. I rarely need to have an adult ride in the back and it's plenty roomy for grandkids.

Bottom line - it's just a preference....like everything else.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Not for long items, it doesn't.
True. I’m going to miss the 8’ bed in my F-350 Supercrew King Ranch. But not the school bus turning radius. It takes over 60’ to turn, curb-to-curb, while an F-150 takes about 46’ curb-to-curb to turn around

hitchhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e 4x, 1999 Silverado 1500 (295k miles!)
I've enjoyed cutting-edge tech my whole life. I fell in love with EVs for their silent, smooth and responsive performance, and never looked back. Low maintenance is a bonus. I left Tesla due to their poor service and even poorer build quality, and switched to a Mach-e, which I love.

I prefer 4WD/AWD vehicles for New England winters, especially living at the top of a steep hill on a private dirt road. Most of my driving is local, with occasional regional road trips. Given my experience with EVs already, I'm confident these trips could all be completed on one charge of the extended range battery during most conditions. I expect a 20-30 minute charging stop will be necessary in the coldest winter conditions.

I never haul or tow on the road trips, and don't anticipate any need to do so. Right now, I have an ancient Silverado ('99 with 295k+ miles) for those needs, all local. Range won't be a problem there with the F150.

I also enjoy well-optioned vehicles, with a bit of luxury while remaining understated. And I've got a solar array on my roof, so the vehicle-to-load aspect of the Lightning is very intriguing and would massively improve my ability to withstand an extended grid outage.

TL;DR - very excited, I know it's not for everyone, but this truck checks all my boxes with no compromises or downsides. Thankfully I got a reservation in pretty early. :cool:

Last edited:

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
This truck works for me. Most of my hauling is from the hardware store to my house. Also I also live in the country so I will use it in the snow and mud and to ford the creek to my house ( if and when we get enough water in California for it to start flowing again. ). I don’t tow on road trips so no issue there. If I want to go camping in the country I will just stay home. I do ocational road trips. My current EV get 258 miles of range so 300 will be an improvement. I have solar on my property so will be able to charge off of that as I do with my current EV. This will replace my F250 4x4
Sponsored