• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
How much are you expecting to save with xplan?

I'm trying to decide what hoops to go though to get it
I think it will depend on the difference between invoice and MSRP... my guess is that to keep the MSRP below $40K, invoice price might be pretty close. And, dealers will be making money off higher trims.

Looking at some websites, the delta between invoice and MSRP on trucks seems like to high single digits, so, may be $3K max.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition

Normal X-Plan is Dealer Invoice - 4% + $275. For Mustang Mach-E the made it Dealer Invoice - 2% + $275. Here is an example of Super Duty:
Ford F-150 Lightning (⚡Lightning) A video of possible(?) Lightning Pro (XL) interior 1627435253245

Also X-Plan limits doc fees to $100, and no ADM. If you don't get X-Plan through work, you can join Mustang Club of America and be a member for 90 days prior to delivery.

kdkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning / 2023 6.7L Lariat F-350
In addition to the towing package, I'm going to get the 9.6kW output option that adds the 240V connection in the bed, rather than just 120V options. That would probably be tough to add later if you wanted to power an RV or whatever.
I don't see the point unless you're really all in on the home backup feature. I own a backup dual fuel generator with spare gasoline and propane on standby for emergency situations. Worse case scenario, the included 2.4kW would power my fridge and freezer just fine. My other point is that I've never really lost power for more than 12 hours and it's happened only once in 10yrs. Realistically, this thing is a daily commuter and not a camper hauler. I am expecting these trucks to tow at best 100-150 miles on a full charge with a 6k-8k lb trailer attached which pretty much renders it pointless for my camping "needs". I'd also hate to be one of the first fools that pulls into the haphazardly installed charging stations with a 25ft+ camper only to realize that it doesn't fit or I can't conveniently exit without taking out other vehicles and or fixtures. The powerboost with the 7.2kW is the winner here for the camper scenario. On another note, not all campers are 50a 2 phase. My current camper is a single phase 30A which plugs into my 2.5kW inverter generator to run the rooftop 15k BTU AC just fine. Most campers that have a 50a 2 phase shore connection would be too large for this truck to comfortably tow anyway.

I pretty much have a year to figure out how to convince / persuade the wife that I "need" to upgrade my current non-electrified F150 into 2 very similarly looking "electrified" trucks (EV and a hybrid). Let the scheming begin.

Last edited:

kdkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I'm not expecting to save much. Maybe a couple of hundred dollars off the purchase price and the cap on doc fees (normally ~$700 in my area) for a grand savings of about a grand. Better than nothing considering that it's easy to join mustang of america at $35/yr. Alternatively, you could just hold onto some ford stock for 6 months.

kdkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another point: From this list it sounds like you will have to get the extended battery Pack and the Max trailer tow package for the extra cooling to do anything useful. Without the extra battery, your towing remains at 7,700 Ib so you won't need cooling. And on Pro for general public, you can't get the Extended Range Battery so there is no point in getting the Max trailer tow package. Am I reading this right?
I believe they'll offer it for the SR models too. I'd imagine Ford would rate the SR lightning for 6k lb towing without the package (like the current ICE models without towing options and base engines) and 7.7klb with the tow package. As I said in my previous posts, I'd get it not to tow more but purely just for the extra cooling capactiy.

Sponsored

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Normal X-Plan is Dealer Invoice - 4% + $275. For Mustang Mach-E the made it Dealer Invoice - 2% + $275. Here is an example of Super Duty:
1627435253245.png

Also X-Plan limits doc fees to $100, and no ADM. If you don't get X-Plan through work, you can join Mustang Club of America and be a member for 90 days prior to delivery.
Do you have similar view of F-150 lineup?

Looks like the gap between MSRP and invoice gets smaller at lower price points, X-plan may not save much but cuts out shenanigans around add-ons and doc fee.
I am hoping that they don't start adding accessories such as mud flaps, protection package etc. to increase profits.

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
Another point: From this list it sounds like you will have to get the extended battery Pack and the Max trailer tow package for the extra cooling to do anything useful. Without the extra battery, your towing remains at 7,700 Ib so you won't need cooling. And on Pro for general public, you can't get the Extended Range Battery so there is no point in getting the Max trailer tow package. Am I reading this right?
Without the Max Trailer Tow Package the standard range battery towing capacity is 5,000 lb.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-pro-best-work-truck/

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Looks like the gap between MSRP and invoice gets smaller at lower price points, X-plan may not save much but cuts out shenanigans around add-ons and doc fee.
X-Plan doesn't prevent all the dealer shenanigans. You have to confirm with the dealer ahead of time that you don't want any add-ons, like nitrogen, wheel locks, undercoating, etc. Now would be a good time to get this confirmation in writing (email). Also that they will accept X-Plan.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I don't see the point unless you're really all in on the home backup feature. I own a backup dual fuel generator with spare gasoline and propane on standby for emergency situations. Worse case scenario, the included 2.4kW would power my fridge and freezer just fine. My other point is that I've never really lost power for more than 12 hours and it's happened only once in 10yrs. Realistically, this thing is a daily commuter and not a camper hauler. I am expecting these trucks to tow at best 100-150 miles on a full charge with a 6k-8k lb trailer attached which pretty much renders it pointless for my camping "needs". I'd also hate to be one of the first fools that pulls into the haphazardly installed charging stations with a 25ft+ camper only to realize that it doesn't fit or I can't conveniently exit without taking out other vehicles and or fixtures. The powerboost with the 7.2kW is the winner here for the camper scenario. On another note, not all campers are 50a 2 phase. My current camper is a single phase 30A which plugs into my 2.5kW inverter generator to run the rooftop 15k BTU AC just fine. Most campers that have a 50a 2 phase shore connection would be too large for this truck to comfortably tow anyway.

I pretty much have a year to figure out how to convince / persuade the wife that I "need" to upgrade my current non-electrified F150 into 2 very similarly looking "electrified" trucks (EV and a hybrid). Let the scheming begin.
The 240V plug and the home backup when the truck is plugged into the charging station are two different things.

Also, I'm not going to have a second F-150 just for towing, so I'm going to make the Lightning work for towing. My most common campsite is <100 miles away and has 240V charging, so I just have to make it there.

The camper I would buy or rent would be comfortably towed by the Lightning.

I'm not saying the 240V plug in the bed is a must-have for everyone, but it's useful for some, not expensive to option, but probably very expensive/difficult to add later, and may help resale, too, so I think it fits the original question's criteria.

Sponsored

kdkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 240V plug and the home backup when the truck is plugged into the charging station are two different things.
Ah I guess I don't fully understand how it works. I was assuming the direction where the truck powering the home's power feed during a power outage was leveraging the truck's onboard inverter. My assumption was that one would have to opt for the larger inverter output for the home backup feature. But if what you're saying is true, then the home charger acts as the DC to AC converter bypassing the onboard inverter completely in that particular mode of operation.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
But if what you're saying is true, then the home charger acts as the DC to AC converter bypassing the onboard inverter completely in that particular mode of operation.
Right. There's a separate inverter installed with the 80A charging station (I'm not sure if it's clear whether it costs extra or not... certainly install does) that converts DC (from a full CCS plug) into AC for the house.

kdkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also, I'm not going to have a second F-150 just for towing, so I'm going to make the Lightning work for towing. My most common campsite is <100 miles away and has 240V charging, so I just have to make it there.
That's about the only logical use case. Tow it to a campsite within ~100 miles and charge the truck at the campsite for return trip. This would also mean there'd be no reason to use the onboard inverter to power the camper as you'd already have campground power.

Using the truck to power the camper would likely mean you're boondocking. That would also mean you'd have to do your boondocking near a charging station to top up on arrival or departure.

My first point is that the use case of powering the camper with the truck's inverter is limited other than it being a cool thing to do. The second point is that the 2.4kW system (may require soft start caps to help with blower motors / compressors) should be enough for most campers factoring the camper size that the lightning will comfortably tow. Yes, it's probably not an expensive upgrade but I don't like paying for things I won't use. I don't see the use case for the larger inverter for many average users. Maybe you'd want run a 240V MIG welder at a job site or maybe you just have the need to temporarily power a bunch of high current appliances (exceeding 2400 watts) at a remote location. I guess it's similar to the whole debate of having 4WD.

kdkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Right. There's a separate inverter installed with the 80A charging station (I'm not sure if it's clear whether it costs extra or not... certainly install does) that converts DC (from a full CCS plug) into AC for the house.
Ah, there goes another assumption that I made. I assumed that the 80A charger had a built in transfer switch to isolate the house from the grid during an outage. I also assumed that the power conversion from DC to AC would be done within that same unit. It sounds as if you're suggesting it's not and that it may be a separate unit that (may possibly be bundled with 80A charger?) does the conversion and or switching.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Ah, there goes another assumption that I made. I assumed that the 80A charger had a built in transfer switch to isolate the house from the grid during an outage. I also assumed that the power conversion from DC to AC would be done within that same unit. It sounds as if you're suggesting it's not and that it may be a separate unit that (may possibly be bundled with 80A charger?) does the conversion and or switching.
FWIW I'm almost sure that you will need to install a isolation circuit on your house of some sort (or maybe your power meter does that already) to keep the power from your truck from energizing the nearby lines in the event of an outage.

Don't want a utility work to be working on a downed line, not knowing your truck was providing juice. Same thing with people that have whole home generators...

I'm no electrician so maybe this is already done at the power meter(one way meter), but we have solar (two way meter) so a shutoff had to be installed to keep our system from backfeeding the grid in the event of an outage.
Sponsored