• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
My guess is airflow/downforce?
My guess is something about airflow to the motor too, but it’s just cut oddly for that, without channels. I’ve seen photos where the front license plate is mounted over most of it too. Maybe it’s just an aesthetic carryover from the F-150s with a radiator?
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I really wish they had a green. Years ago my wife had an Eddie Bauer Explorer with the two tone Forest Green/ Brown-Beige with the beige interior. It looked really sharp. I'm kind of a sucker for those 80-90s two tone paint jobs ford used to have

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
No, the cutout between the tow hooks.
I have heard that explained elsewhere as an air inlet to cool the battery/motors when needed (it can close off when not needed).

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
While EVs don't need huge engine radiators, they do have other things to cool. The condenser for the AC is probably there, and possibly a radiator for the liquid-cooled battery.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DJ NV

DJ NV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
While EVs don't need huge engine radiators, they do have other things to cool. The condenser for the AC is probably there, and possibly a radiator for the liquid-cooled battery.

?? I didn't scroll further down, my bad.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
That is for airflow over a small radiator...an EV still needs some cooling, just not the massive radiator of an ICE. This is for the battery, electric motor, and some of the high voltage components, not to mention the AC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DJ NV

DJ NV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I think "Enginered Explained"? (pretty sure that's wrong) or "Alex on Autos" mentioned that an EV would benefit from a heat pump.

Do yall think the Lightning has one or heard if that is the case (I have not seen or heard yay or nay)?

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I think "Enginered Explained"? (pretty sure that's wrong) or "Alex on Autos" mentioned that an EV would benefit from a heat pump.

Do yall think the Lightning has one or heard if that is the case (I have not seen or heard yay or nay)?
I would much rather have them spend the money and weight needed for a heat pump on a larger battery.

The Mach-E does not have a heat pump so I'm assuming the F150 won't either. Ford's rational is that the added weight of the system mostly negates efficiency benefits but this could just be marketing speak. There's at least one video comparing the VW ID 3 with and without a heat pump and they show improvements in efficiency with the heat pump. I'm guessing that there is very marginal benefit of a heat pump in a less efficient vehicle like F-150. The added expense would also make it harder to meet some of the price targets that they're advertising. Plus it makes even less sense when the largest markets for EVs seem to be in more temperate climates where a heat pump is less useful.

OP
OP
DJ NV

DJ NV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I would much rather have them spend the money and weight needed for a heat pump on a larger battery.

The Mach-E does not have a heat pump so I'm assuming the F150 won't either. Ford's rational is that the added weight of the system mostly negates efficiency benefits but this could just be marketing speak. There's at least one video comparing the VW ID 3 with and without a heat pump and they show improvements in efficiency with the heat pump. I'm guessing that there is very marginal benefit of a heat pump in a less efficient vehicle like F-150. The added expense would also make it harder to meet some of the price targets that they're advertising. Plus it makes even less sense when the largest markets for EVs seem to be in more temperate climates where a heat pump is less useful.

?? thanks for the info.
Sponsored