• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Viper GTS

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 M3P, 2005 GX470
Occupation
God
I have come to view the additional expense of HCOL states as the price I have to pay to have access to opportunity density. By opportunity density I mean that someone could work an entire career here in the NYC metro area and never have to move for a job.

If you can't or won't take advantage of that then HCOL is just a burden. If you do, though, cars and other consumer goods cost the same in HCOL areas as they do in LCOL. While yes housing costs consume far more absolute dollars here than they would in a LCOL area, what's left over buys a lot more.

The real coup, of course, is a high income in a LCOL area. I get the appeal of arbitraging a WFH situation to transport a coastal salary to middle America, but I'd be paranoid about being able to replace that income if the job became untenable or my employer pulled a Yahoo and forced everyone back to the office.

In the end it's a choice people can make for themselves. I intentionally moved to a HCOL area for the job market and it's worked well so far for me.
Sponsored

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
The real coup, of course, is a high income in a LCOL area. I get the appeal of arbitraging a WFH situation to transport a coastal salary to middle America, but I'd be paranoid about being able to replace that income if the job became untenable or my employer pulled a Yahoo and forced everyone back to the office.
There's enough employers who went remote-friendly that I think that won't be a concern for quite some time, especially in tech. And with the omicron fears delaying or rolling back in-office plans, we probably haven't seen the last of the mass transition to permanent remote work yet, either.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Exactly. Everyone agrees on the definition of HCOL, but everyone has a different idea of what defines HQOL. Certainly not necessarily identical, nor necessarily mutually exclusive. I live in one of the poorest/cheapest counties in the country, but woke up this morning to watching a buck chasing does in my front yard. Hard to beat nature for QOL.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
Exactly. Everyone agrees on the definition of HCOL, but everyone has a different idea of what defines HQOL. Certainly not necessarily identical, nor necessarily mutually exclusive. I live in one of the poorest/cheapest counties in the country, but woke up this morning to watching a buck chasing does in my front yard. Hard to beat nature for QOL.
Love it Nick!!!!

Sponsored

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)
Just got mine as well. I thought I was safe at 16… I might take a look at Maryland dealerships(any recs?) but I may just hold steady and hope the tax credit continues long enough.
Koons Ford Silver Spring is selling at MSRP plus the standard $500 Dealer Fee they put on all contracts. I was 4th by time and for some reason was bumped up to 3rd on the priority list (probably someone wanted to wait to order).
Sponsored