First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 scabf150 3.5 01 roush must gt road race
Occupation
retired
The tires that came with my 18 f150 are T rated max speed of 118. there are tires that are speed rated that fit f 150s if a person wants to go faster than 105,
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fordphanatic

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Im well aware about the ratings that tires have. I also would like the ability to go a little faster then 105 if I choose to. The original question was can I make changes with forscan to increase max speed. You cant tell me that a f150 cop car cuts off at 105mph.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You guys are missing the point, it's not about how well it handles, it's about the tires. The faster you go, the hotter the side walls get, no way around that its just physics. Truck tires are not rated for that kind of heat, which can lead to a blowout, which is no fun at 100+ mph. Lots of people thing speed ratings (Z, W, Y, etc) are about stickiness but they not, they are about ability to handle heat.
Not only the heat but the centrifugal force created with the heavy tread spinning at that speed would want to tear the wheel apart. Also, I would think there is a lot more force on the hubs, bearings and such, that could cause them to possibly fail.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Im well aware about the ratings that tires have. I also would like the ability to go a little faster then 105 if I choose to. The original question was can I make changes with forscan to increase max speed. You cant tell me that a f150 cop car cuts off at 105mph.
No, but the cop cars and trucks are built a little different with different parts.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No matter what speed you can get to...Motorola is much faster.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
As are the radar/laser speed guns, helicopters and Broncos. Well maybe not the bronco but who knows 😅

Ford F-150 Can max speed be increased with forscan speed gun

Ford F-150 Can max speed be increased with forscan 800px-Pennsylvania_State_Police_Helicopter

Ford F-150 Can max speed be increased with forscan 2021-ford-bronco-police-interceptor-rendering-1_0

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
You guys are missing the point, it's not about how well it handles, it's about the tires. The faster you go, the hotter the side walls get, no way around that its just physics. Truck tires are not rated for that kind of heat, which can lead to a blowout, which is no fun at 100+ mph. Lots of people thing speed ratings (Z, W, Y, etc) are about stickiness but they not, they are about ability to handle heat.
Tire ratings are based upon endurance testing of a set timeframe, which is far greater than a short top speed run.

T Rated tires are listed for a max speed of 118, so I feel that driving 118 MPH in a 2021 F150 would probably be fine for a short burst.

Its not as if we are tracking the truck and keeping it at 118 MPH for 2-3 hours.

My understanding is that the two piece driveshaft carrier bearing can’t handle the imbalance at high speeds. So, if you want a valid reason the F150 shouldn’t go over 105, then it should really be the driveshaft catapulting your driveline into oblivion, not the T rated tires which can in fact handle 118 MPH.

Last edited:

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Just because it can go faster doesn't mean you should. Also, am I the only one waiting for a post to the effect of "I lifted my truck, added bigger tires, and it's not getting 30 mpg when I'm doing 110 mph on the highway"?

dpatt711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Man it's weird, somebody asked
"Can max speed be increased with forscan"
and all these folks chimed in with their 2 cents about whether or not you should go fast while completely not answering the question.
You don't know this person, you don't know how their truck is set-up, you don't know what tires they have, and you don't know why they might want to go over the 105mph speed limit.

But no, as of right now nobody has found a way to remove it with forscan.

Last edited:

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
You know what? You’re right. So here it goes.

I would think because engine calibration files are not tunable via FORScan, then we probably won’t be able to change the top speed limiter.

Once tuning of the 2021 F150s has become more widely adopted, then we will likely be able to remove the top speed limiter via custom tuning.

I use FORScan and would love to simply utilize that to remove the 105 speed limiter. But I would have to check with my tuning shop first to find out if the OEM driveshaft can handle that. Make sure you check your driveshaft because that used to be a “top speed” F150 failure point.
Sponsored