Sponsored

Does Ford's dashcam offered on Ford Accessories save clips and send them to Ford pass?

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
Hey, looking to install a dash cam and want the parking mode or parking surveillance feature. Can't find more information on the officially listed dashcam on their accessories site.

https://accessories.ford.com/products/dashcam-140-dash-camera

Motion detector and impact sensor trigger the camera to record when in Parking Surveillance Mode – camera provides an alert at next power-up letting you know an incident occurred
Has anyone been able to confirm how this works? Was hoping it would save clips on Ford Pass when motion or impact triggers recording.

Any other alternatives people may have implemented are welcomed too. I saw a few other options that require some wiring beyond using the rearview mirror 16pin connect. Thanks.
Sponsored

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Get a Blackvue and get it hardwired in. I have the dr900x 2 channel. Its got parking mode and motion/shock sensors. The picture is amazing too. Go to Thedashcamstore.com they have fantastic prices and customer service. They ship fast too!

OP
OP
Redtrucktravel
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
Get a Blackvue and get it hardwired in. I have the dr900x 2 channel. Its got parking mode and motion/shock sensors. The picture is amazing too. Go to Thedashcamstore.com they have fantastic prices and customer service. They ship fast too!
I'll check it out. Thanks!

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I've been looking at this and would really like to have the cab covered as well.. What disappointed me about he blackvue model that does that is the interior cab cam is a separate camera. I was hoping they could integrate it into the front camera like other brands. I can see why they did that, but I'm scared it is going to just be a lot on the windshield to contend with.

My42waffles

First Name
Kegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 power boost 157, lightning reservation
Occupation
Maintenance
I've been looking at this and would really like to have the cab covered as well.. What disappointed me about he blackvue model that does that is the interior cab cam is a separate camera. I was hoping they could integrate it into the front camera like other brands. I can see why they did that, but I'm scared it is going to just be a lot on the windshield to contend with.
I have a BlackVue 590 2ch and thought the second was for out the back of the truck so that’s what I use it for not facing the inside. hence the reason it comes with a really long cable to connect it.

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Yeah, you can use it for either. They have a 3 channel now in their 750 series that I was looking at. But it's 3 separate cameras.

I'll probably bite the bullet anyways because they seem like the cameras to get.

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Lariat SuperCrew PowerBoost Sport Fx4
Did you end up with the OEM camera? I was looking at the same one.
I just got it and installed it yesterday. It took maybe 20 minutes really taking my time and couldn’t be cleaner. It’s an entry-level Thinkware but the picture is okay and the install is clean and it has parking mode and lots of settings. I had no need to look at things over WiFi (and thought that it wouldn’t work well with CarPlay) or have ultra 4K or whatever. I prioritized getting it in there cleanly and quickly and expect that I won’t think about it again unless something bad happens, in which case I’ll pop the card out and the camera will have pod for itself. The software interface is dated and clunky and the picture could be better but it’s what I expected and I have faith that it will work and last. If you have the same priorities as me, I can recommend it.

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
Is the hook up at or near the OBD port? Or is there anything that ties in to the rearview and its source of power?

OP
OP
Redtrucktravel
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
Did you end up with the OEM camera? I was looking at the same one.
Unfortunately, it’s in back order so I’m waiting for my dealership to let me know when it comes in.
It’s been like this for months but I’ll try to come back with an update when I can.

Sponsored

Mauimaikai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 2.7 F-150 XLT 302a 4x4 SuperCrew
To answer the original question the answer is No the cam does not save the feed to anything ford related. It saves it directly to its memory card. It’s a 3rd party supplied camera and it has its own software to retrieve the video. With the one Ford sells it works like this, by default it plugs in to the cigarette lighter, it includes a hardwire kit which you can hardwire to the battery and run through the firewall in to the vehicle to the camera. (I believe you can also purchase the obd wire and use it as well but I’m not 100% certain if that model supports it)When it detects an impact the next time you get in and start your vehicle the camera has an audible voice that will tell you something along the lines of “while in parking mode events detected, motion recording x2 (or however many incidents it detected)” then you can use the Thinkware app to connect to the camera and download the video, or take out the memory card or however you want to connect to your computer and use their software to view the videos. Easiest to use the app.
Knowing the Ford version was Thinkware I just bought myself a Thinkware Q800 pro as it’s better than the Ford offered one. It comes with a hardwire kit but I purchased the obd2 cable to hardwire it that way. It comes with 2 obd port ends so you can still connect and do diagnostics etc without having to ever unplug the dash cam. Ran the wire up through the side panel then in to the roof liner and the only visible wire is the very end of the power cord that powers the dash cam.
On a side note the geofencing sucks as it’s either all or nothing as far as alerts go, but I have the dash cam connected to the truck hotspot and my home Wi-Fi for when the truck is off so as long as I have accessory power to the vehicle or it’s at my house connected to my wifi I can tap in and watch the feed. The wireless capabilities to connect with the dash cam does require you to disconnect apple carplay which is why I have it tied to my trucks hotspot instead by it’s not necessary.

Last edited:

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Lariat SuperCrew PowerBoost Sport Fx4
To answer the original question the answer is No the cam does not save the feed to anything ford related. It saves it directly to its memory card. It’s a 3rd party supplied camera and it has its own software to retrieve the video. With the one Ford sells it works like this, by default it plugs in to the cigarette lighter, it includes a hardwire kit which you can hardwire to the battery and run through the firewall in to the vehicle to the camera. (I believe you can also purchase the obd wire and use it as well but I’m not 100% certain if that model supports it)When it detects an impact the next time you get in and start your vehicle the camera has an audible voice that will tell you something along the lines of “while in parking mode events detected, motion recording x2 (or however many incidents it detected)” then you can use the Thinkware app to connect to the camera and download the video, or take out the memory card or however you want to connect to your computer and use their software to view the videos. Easiest to use the app.
Knowing the Ford version was Thinkware I just bought myself a Thinkware Q800 pro as it’s better than the Ford offered one. It comes with a hardwire kit but I purchased the obd2 cable to hardwire it that way. It comes with 2 obd port ends so you can still connect and do diagnostics etc without having to ever unplug the dash cam. Ran the wire up through the side panel then in to the roof liner and the only visible wire is the very end of the power cord that powers the dash cam.
On a side note the geofencing sucks as it’s either all or nothing as far as alerts go, but I have the dash cam connected to the truck hotspot and my home Wi-Fi for when the truck is off so as long as I have accessory power to the vehicle or it’s at my house connected to my wifi I can tap in and watch the feed. The wireless capabilities to connect with the dash cam does require you to disconnect apple carplay which is why I have it tied to my trucks hotspot instead by it’s not necessary.
The only Thinkware app I could find won’t connect to the Ford accessory dash cam because it doesn’t have WiFi capability.

That was smart to get the better thinkware cam and buy the obd connector separately.

Weird that the dash cam was listed as backordered. I just ordered mine probably 2 weeks ago. It was the front-only kit though.

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
"by default it plugs in to the cigarette lighter,"

(I believe you can also purchase the obd wire and use it as well but I’m not 100% certain if that model supports it)
So what exactly is the purpose of the OBD-II connector for? (Is this the right one to use for models that don't come with one?)

I guess I was thinking it was pretty much self contained and outside of power not sure why the multiple leads on the connector.

Sorry pretty new to these. Thinking now a higher tier with the app / wireless is the better way to go.

Ford F-150 Does Ford's dashcam offered on Ford Accessories save clips and send them to Ford pass? Capture.PNG
Sponsored