Videos: 360-Degree Cameras In Use While Driving

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I recently came across a couple of videos showing a Ford F-150 and a Ford Super Duty using their 360 degree cameras, and bed cargo cameras at driving speed.

I'm not sure how, but some have stated that this feature will be allowed via an upcoming over the air update.

Currently in my truck, the cameras shut off once you accelerate past six to seven miles per hour. If you press the camera button on the dash, it gives you the legalese safety warning that using the cameras while driving are unsafe.

I hope they do update/unlock these soon as it can prove to be very useful!

You may need to view the videos on a desktop, as I'm not too sure if they will play properly on a phone. The first one show a 2021 F-150 using the full screen while driving. The second video shows a 2022 Super Duty equipped with the 12" screen doing the same thing.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
Any context on where this came from?

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Any context on where this came from?
I found these videos on two separate posts on an F-150 Facebook community page I am a part of. The miscellaneous comments speculate it is a feature in an upcoming update. I don't have too much info other than that, unfortunately.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
...If you press the camera button on the dash, it gives you the legalese safety warning that using the cameras while driving are unsafe.
I press it all the time when I am pulling in to my street going 8-10MPH and it drives me nuts because I do that so that I don't have to take my eyes off the road while kids and animals are milling around in the neighborhood. At the very least, I would like it to turn on when I do hit 6MPH, so that I don't have to hit the button a second time.

My truck is 4X4 and I can't see anything ten feet in front of my truck shorter than 5' high. Because of that, it would be nice to have the front camera on in parking lots too, or even automatically come on at stops for making sure crosswalks are clear.

There is a video of a truck crushing a young child in NYC, the kid was trailing behind the adults far enough that the truck couldn't see and thought it was safe to proceed. Something like a front facing camera could have prevented the tragedy from occurring, though not if it's constantly turning itself off.

The irony about some of the improvements to pedestrian safety in the newest cars and light trucks is that they make it easier to accidentally hit a pedestrian because the hood lines have been raised significantly to let vehicles pass the so-called 'bowling ball' test, resulting in poor forward visibility. Cameras are a way to regain that visibility but only if they are on.

I have the mid Sized screen and it's large enough that I can view it with my peripheral vision without it distracting me.

I'll say it again but having the cameras turn off at a certain speed is the same as if your rear and sideview mirrors stopped working above a certain speed.

In the future it will even make sense to enhance the 360 cameras with FLIR style near infrared technology so that you can better avoid accidents in heavy fog, snow storms and dust storms or for when the sun is directly in front, one of the criticisms of Tesla not using RADAR in their self-driving systems. The same low contrast driving situations that are bad for human drivers are also even more of a problem with visible light based self-driving.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I think I’ll play around with the ipma this weekend and see if I can make this happen. Lots of settings in there. I wouldn’t bank on an over the air update for this.

Sponsored

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
I press it all the time when I am pulling in to my street going 8-10MPH and it drives me nuts because I do that so that I don't have to take my eyes off the road while kids and animals are milling around in the neighborhood. At the very least, I would like it to turn on when I do hit 6MPH, so that I don't have to hit the button a second time.

My truck is 4X4 and I can't see anything ten feet in front of my truck shorter than 5' high. Because of that, it would be nice to have the front camera on in parking lots too, or even automatically come on at stops for making sure crosswalks are clear.

There is a video of a truck crushing a young child in NYC, the kid was trailing behind the adults far enough that the truck couldn't see and thought it was safe to proceed. Something like a front facing camera could have prevented the tragedy from occurring, though not if it's constantly turning itself off.

The irony about some of the improvements to pedestrian safety in the newest cars and light trucks is that they make it easier to accidentally hit a pedestrian because the hood lines have been raised significantly to let vehicles pass the so-called 'bowling ball' test, resulting in poor forward visibility. Cameras are a way to regain that visibility but only if they are on.

I have the mid Sized screen and it's large enough that I can view it with my peripheral vision without it distracting me.

I'll say it again but having the cameras turn off at a certain speed is the same as if your rear and sideview mirrors stopped working above a certain speed.

In the future it will even make sense to enhance the 360 cameras with FLIR style near infrared technology so that you can better avoid accidents in heavy fog, snow storms and dust storms or for when the sun is directly in front, one of the criticisms of Tesla not using RADAR in their self-driving systems. The same low contrast driving situations that are bad for human drivers are also even more of a problem with visible light based self-driving.
All of this. I park on the street and like to turn my camera on during the times I pull in straight so I don't run over the curve and its really annoying that I have to be at almost a stop before doing this.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I can't find the article/anecdotal, but someone had posted that in the early test drives/road shows of the F150 before major production started, the cameras were viewable at higher speeds. It was also said that this feature was turned off for production vehicles.

I hope they do unlock the cameras at higher speeds. I hope they also figure out a way to let us record the camera feeds.

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502A | 3.5L PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Admin | Software Developer
I think I’ll play around with the ipma this weekend and see if I can make this happen. Lots of settings in there. I wouldn’t bank on an over the air update for this.
Unfortunately, no amount of FORScan tweaks will get this working. Newer builds all have newer module firmware and more configuration blocks.
Our only choice is to hope it will come with OTA updates. Or someone releases the vbf files for us to manually update

SFD9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, 2021 f-150 on order
Occupation
Self
If you can, look for a way to keep the mirror LED spot lights on past 6mph also!

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
on my 22 super duty i can view the bed camera and the hitch camera at speed.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
In trucks with park assist the front cameras will come on automatically if an object is detected nearby.

I do wish that they would come on sooner though as I have to creep up on something for what feels like a long time after it’s out of my visibility before the camera comes on automatically. I’ll probably eventually get used it but yeah for now I am hitting the button half the time.

The other thing that bugs me is if you have the camera on, then shift into reverse to reposition… when you shift back into drive the cameras are off again, regardless of speed and you have to turn them back on. They should stay on once selected even if going back and fourth.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
on my 22 super duty i can view the bed camera and the hitch camera at speed.
Cool, is that in any driving mode? Looks like I’ll have to get some f250 forscan settings for the ipma and maybe the BCM.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is
Unfortunately, no amount of FORScan tweaks will get this working. Newer builds all have newer module firmware and more configuration blocks.
Our only choice is to hope it will come with OTA updates. Or someone releases the vbf files for us to manually update
Yea, that is usually the case when they deem something a “safety” issue. Anyone know if other regions have the capability I.e. Canada, overseas?

smarty39

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Velocity Blue Lariat Sport
So is this confirmed that it DOES work on later build 21's with the newer module firmware then? And it just may not be possible on early 21's?

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502A | 3.5L PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Admin | Software Developer
So is this confirmed that it DOES work on later build 21's with the newer module firmware then? And it just may not be possible on early 21's?
I know it's on the new Tremors for sure. I have high hopes that ford uses the OTA system to bring early generations up to speed with the newer firmware.

Either way, we will likely be able to obtain the new firmware at some point and can do it ourselves.
I could also be wrong about the firmware requirement altogether, and the thing holding us back from this feature might just be that we need the latest Sync4 update that will be coming soon.
Sponsored