Sponsored

PB F-150 lariat vs Cybertruck triple motor

ilkhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape Limted
Going feature for feature you need at least a lariat to match any cybertruck. To get 360 camera you need a 502A, Powerboost to match the power output, 4x4 obviously, you end up paying very close to the same amount. Obvious the forum is biased, but why F-150 instead? 2.9s 0-60, 500 miles of range, no worries about maintenance and much lower running costs (3 miles per kwh roughly vs 24ish mpg if you can keep your foot out of it). Looks are obviously polarizing.
Sponsored

billybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A, 2012 Focus SEL
Occupation
EE
As a big Tesla fan I think teslas are still on generation 1(yes I know they have had refreshes and incremental updates all the time) and I try to avoid gen 1 where possible. Living in a climate with half the year at -30C and the other half at 35C I just don't think the range can do what I need on those -30C months. Also with gravel road travel and some off road "fun" I just don't think rural Canada it ready for it just yet. I expect when we update our SUV down the road it will be a full electric or plug in hybrid at a minimum.

Also I think in Canada the cyber truck ends up being at least 10k more(obviously if you buy the Tesla you are going to buy the self driving package) but I also stuck to the XLT vs the Lariat so its a significant jump for me.

OP
OP

ilkhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape Limted
As a big Tesla fan I think teslas are still on generation 1(yes I know they have had refreshes and incremental updates all the time) and I try to avoid gen 1 where possible. Living in a climate with half the year at -30C and the other half at 35C I just don't think the range can do what I need on those -30C months. Also with gravel road travel and some off road "fun" I just don't think rural Canada it ready for it just yet. I expect when we update our SUV down the road it will be a full electric or plug in hybrid at a minimum.

Also I think in Canada the cyber truck ends up being at least 10k more(obviously if you buy the Tesla you are going to buy the self driving package) but I also stuck to the XLT vs the Lariat so its a significant jump for me.
Fair points. -30c is bloody cold. Rurual does make it harder. But I don't think it would have any trouble on gravel it dirt (or ruts for that matter) roads. 35s and the height adjustable air suspension takes care of that.

For what's it's worth I don't think cybertruck is gen 1. The motors, battery pack, and major electronics have all see full revisions since introduction. The exoskeleton shell is new, but engineering with steel isn't difficult or unknown.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Going feature for feature you need at least a lariat to match any cybertruck. To get 360 camera you need a 502A, Powerboost to match the power output, 4x4 obviously, you end up paying very close to the same amount. Obvious the forum is biased, but why F-150 instead? 2.9s 0-60, 500 miles of range, no worries about maintenance and much lower running costs (3 miles per kwh roughly vs 24ish mpg if you can keep your foot out of it). Looks are obviously polarizing.
2.9s 0-60 times in a truck? Not needed in any truck.

500 miles of range? Not going to happen especially when it’s used like a truck.

Cyber Truck hasn’t even hit the market so claims about said 3 miles per kW is just talk at best.

Looks are hideous at best and does not appeal to the vast majority of truck buyers.

How do you know that one has to get a Lariat with the 502A package to match the Tesla let alone to match the price.

You act as though the Tesla is already out on the market or it’ll be out for sale on the 1st of January 2021.

With that being said and no offense, you really sound like a ”young adult or kid who’s never owned a truck or used one in the way it was intended and designed to be used in the real world.

Don’t get me wrong, Tesla has set the standard for electric vehicles / cars and other makes have some catching up to do but, the truck market is an entirely different animal.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
I tow my boat to the lake through steep inclines. I remember watching a video back when it was announced that provided a formula on towing weight, distance, and incline to tell you how far you could actually tow with that battery setup. Based on that we could get to the lake and about 1/3rd of the way back. However, we are limited on power at our cabin and don't have the ability to re-charge. That for me eliminates the cybertruck or potential future electric F-150.

OP
OP

ilkhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape Limted
LOL no. You can get it on the base XL 101A trim.
Huh. It kicked it up to a 502A from 500A when I tried. Must be a combo with some other option. Looks like the Co-Pilot 360 prep package is what did it. Nobody would compare a base F-150 to any cybertruck. The goals are too different.

2.9s 0-60 times in a truck? Not needed in any truck.

500 miles of range? Not going to happen especially when it’s used like a truck.

Cyber Truck hasn’t even hit the market so claims about said 3 miles per kW is just talk at best.

Looks are hideous at best and does not appeal to the vast majority of truck buyers.

How do you know that one has to get a Lariat with the 502A package to match the Tesla let alone to match the price.

You act as though the Tesla is already out on the market or it’ll be out for sale on the 1st of January 2021.

With that being said and no offense, you really sound like a ”young adult or kid who’s never owned a truck or used one in the way it was intended and designed to be used in the real world.

Don’t get me wrong, Tesla has set the standard for electric vehicles / cars and other makes have some catching up to do but, the truck market is an entirely different animal.
I agree, 2.9s certainly isn't needed. Tri motor is a waste, except for the range. Which, yes, you aren't going to get while towing. In daily driving sure. But nothing gets the rated mpg while towing. Id expect anywhere from 2.5-3kw usage per mile, on average. Aero will be key.

I said looks are polarizing. IDK if I like it yet or not. But I don't hate it.

Turned in the lease to save for the next one, so I have an older escape as my dd right now, but I had a '17 501A/3.5EB for 3 years. I most certainly used it as a truck during that time.

If you're pulling 10k+ lbs regularly you aren't looking at a cyber truck. But you probably aren't looking at a half-ton Ford, either.

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
... why F-150 instead?
1. Nowhere near the same price. Fully loaded Lariat PB is around $56k

2. Tesla still hasn't published range figures while towing. I pull horses, and can't stop to recharge with horses on the trailer. I need at least 300 miles of TOWING range to reach the nearest large equine hospital.

3. Can't tow a gooseneck or 5th wheel with the Cybertruck, thanks to the ridiculous side sails.

4. Not risking the safety of my horses with Gen 1 of a brand new Tesla vehicle. We got a Gen 1 Roadster and Model S and while they were great cars, they were not problem-free.

I say all this as a Tesla stockholder, and part of a household that's had Teslas since the Roadster. We're currently on our third. I waited eagerly for the Cybertruck announcement, but was very disappointed by what they revealed.

The Cybertruck is a great truck for people who want a handy vehicle to do a little occasional camping or haul stuff from Home Depot. It's not a viable option for people who need a versatile tow vehicle.

DannyboyUpstate

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XLT Supercab 5.0L 6.5’ bed
To be honest, I don’t even think we can discuss the Cybertruck as something that is even a real vehicle at this point. They introduced it in November 2019, started taking placeholder deposits and now they’re saying MAYBE they’ll be out in 2022. On top of the fact that Musk mentioned that the original cybertruck they showed is more like a concept vehicle and to expect changes to the final product.

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
1. Nowhere near the same price. Fully loaded Lariat PB is around $56k
That's the price for entry-level Lariat SCrew + 4x4 + basic tow pkg + PowerBoost. Fully-loaded is tickling $75k (nearly identical build to a Platinum withouth MaxRecline but with more paint choices).

IMO, the Cybertruck and an F-150 are *very* different tools for different jobs. You want an around-town SUV with a bed and want to make a statement? The CT might be your thing. If a vehicle is more of a utility for you, an F-150 might be a better fit (especially if you're not a city-dweller). If 0-60 times are important to you, buy a used Evo and add a nitrous kit.

Are electric vehicles the future? Yes, absolutely--without question. Is the Cybertruck a drop-in replacement for an F-150 (implied by the comparison)? Not at all. Should you get a CT or an F-150? The answer is (as with all questions) "well, it depends."

Sponsored

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
Big Tesla fan here but..

1- Service and support is non existent
2- Cyber truck is still some time away unless you’re already on reservation from closer to announcement
3- I think you under estimate maintenance
4- Cost to charge is not free like most people seem to suggest.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I’m certain it’s a highly opinionated topic, but I don’t believe you can really compare the two. They have vast differences including their means of propulsion (which is kind of the point of this debate).

When Ford finally releases their all electric ⚡ F-150, I think it will be a more fair comparison.

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
That's the price for entry-level Lariat SCrew + 4x4 + basic tow pkg + PowerBoost. Fully-loaded is tickling $75k (nearly identical build to a Platinum withouth MaxRecline but with more paint choices).
That's not true. I've built a Lariat SCrew 4x2 502A with max tow, Unleashed B&O, Powerboost and other packages. X-Plan pricing is $59,305.

Totally agree with you on the rest.

Ford F-150 PB F-150 lariat vs Cybertruck triple motor 1608078805652

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Have you seeeeeeen the cybertruck!!?!

Also, ford knows how to make vehicles, specifically trucks. This is Tesla’s first go, and there is no promise you will get one any time soon. Also, all electric is a no go for me in today’s world. I never want to wait hours to continue my trip.

Aenemia

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Fusion, shopping for '21-22 Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
The big reason I ruled out the cybertuck and even the Lightning is that I live in Minnesota. From what I’ve read, you can only expect about 60% of your max range, at best, in the winter… and winters are pretty long up here.
Sponsored