Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21F150 Hyb, 15ExpEL 2 '06 Esc Hyb 99&01elect Rngrs
Occupation
Retired
Michael,
I m
I have done the Line-X undercoating on my last 7 vehicles. It helps to seal (no rust) and deaden road noise. Never had any issues.

2021 F150 Undercoating 1.jpg

2021 F150 Undercoating Back Wheel 1 - 21_05 29.jpg

2021 F150 Undercoating 6.jpg
I got my Premium liner for $650, Undercoat for $189, Truxedo Pro X-15 for $560, and windows tinted with ceramic for $460 (including sides, rears, & twin-panels). They also did my PPF, but don't have the price on hand now.

I have never had to touch up the undercoating.
Michael,

I have talked with several regional LineX dealers plus LineX corporate headquarters in Alabama. One local dealer uses Krown for undercoating, another considers their product a state secret that costs $600, and headquarters says they use ValuGard undercoating. Prices range from $200-$600. I have never been able to talk with anyone in Ft. Wayne.

I took delivery of my 2021 F150 PB on August 19 and I was amazed to see that the undercarriage is predominantly rust free. I would very much like to keep it that way. See photos.

I still do not understand what product you have on your chassis so I would like to ask for clarification.

1. What product was applied to the external parts of your undercarriage?

2. Is the texture of the truck bed the same as the rear axle, axle shafts, and external frame rails?

2. What product was applied to the cavities in both the undercarriage and body?

3. Is there one product for external undercarriage and a second product for cavities or are both areas treated with the same product?

4. Do you think any of the products are ValuGard?

If you don't know, would you be able to confirm your impressions with your dealer?

I will appreciate any and all comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
Ed

Ford F-150 Rubberized Undercoating IMG_0829_2_preview

Ford F-150 Rubberized Undercoating IMG_0838_2_preview

Ford F-150 Rubberized Undercoating IMG_0843_2_preview

Ford F-150 Rubberized Undercoating IMG_0854 2_2_preview

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2019 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Instructional Designer
Michael,
I m

Michael,

I have talked with several regional LineX dealers plus LineX corporate headquarters in Alabama. One local dealer uses Krown for undercoating, another considers their product a state secret that costs $600, and headquarters says they use ValuGard undercoating. Prices range from $200-$600. I have never been able to talk with anyone in Ft. Wayne.

I took delivery of my 2021 F150 PB on August 19 and I was amazed to see that the undercarriage is predominantly rust free. I would very much like to keep it that way. See photos.

I still do not understand what product you have on your chassis so I would like to ask for clarification.

1. What product was applied to the external parts of your undercarriage?

2. Is the texture of the truck bed the same as the rear axle, axle shafts, and external frame rails?

2. What product was applied to the cavities in both the undercarriage and body?

3. Is there one product for external undercarriage and a second product for cavities or are both areas treated with the same product?

4. Do you think any of the products are ValuGard?

If you don't know, would you be able to confirm your impressions with your dealer?

I will appreciate any and all comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
Ed

IMG_0829_2_preview.jpg

IMG_0838_2_preview.jpg

IMG_0843_2_preview.jpg

IMG_0854 2_2_preview.jpg
1. What product was applied to the external parts of your undercarriage? Line-X Undercoating ($199). This includes a multi-product discount because I got Line-X Premium bedliner, Line-X undercoating, PPF, ceramic tint and paint protection. Wife's Escape has all but bedliner.

2. Is the texture of the truck bed the same as the rear axle, axle shafts, and external frame rails? No, it is not the same as the Line-X Premium Liner. This is much thinner material and pliable. It is not rock solid like the bedliner.

2. What product was applied to the cavities in both the undercarriage and body? Line-X Undercoating. As you can see in my pictures, they only spray the steel: frame, axle, leaf springs, gas tank cover, skid plates, etc. They do spray the wheel wells too. They do not spray exhaust, transmission, etc.

3. Is there one product for external undercarriage and a second product for cavities or are both areas treated with the same product? Same product.

4. Do you think any of the products are ValuGard? I have not heard that name but will call tomorrow to ask.

This is my third truck and my wife's second Escape with this product. I have seen my 2015 F150 at the dealer getting an oil change a few week ago and the underside looked rust free with no issues on the lift.

ESG406

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21F150 Hyb, 15ExpEL 2 '06 Esc Hyb 99&01elect Rngrs
Occupation
Retired
1. What product was applied to the external parts of your undercarriage? Line-X Undercoating ($199). This includes a multi-product discount because I got Line-X Premium bedliner, Line-X undercoating, PPF, ceramic tint and paint protection. Wife's Escape has all but bedliner.

2. Is the texture of the truck bed the same as the rear axle, axle shafts, and external frame rails? No, it is not the same as the Line-X Premium Liner. This is much thinner material and pliable. It is not rock solid like the bedliner.

2. What product was applied to the cavities in both the undercarriage and body? Line-X Undercoating. As you can see in my pictures, they only spray the steel: frame, axle, leaf springs, gas tank cover, skid plates, etc. They do spray the wheel wells too. They do not spray exhaust, transmission, etc.

3. Is there one product for external undercarriage and a second product for cavities or are both areas treated with the same product? Same product.

4. Do you think any of the products are ValuGard? I have not heard that name but will call tomorrow to ask.

This is my third truck and my wife's second Escape with this product. I have seen my 2015 F150 at the dealer getting an oil change a few week ago and the underside looked rust free with no issues on the lift.
Thank you so much for taking time to reply. Looking forward to hearing what your dealer says.

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Forgive me if this has been covered. We have been faithful to oil spraying our other vehicle to great result. With the new Powerboost I'm wondering about following the same yearly process but I do hear the battery cooling fans run off and on and I see the inverter tucked underneath as well. I'm a little concerned what overspray and the resulting dust and dirt accumulation might do to the ability of these components to cool. Has anyone done their Powerboost equipped truck and if so what has your experience been. I'm in Canada and salt up here likely as for some of the northern areas of the US is pretty prevalent. Thanks for any feedback.

Sponsored

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Instructional Designer
Forgive me if this has been covered. We have been faithful to oil spraying our other vehicle to great result. With the new Powerboost I'm wondering about following the same yearly process but I do hear the battery cooling fans run off and on and I see the inverter tucked underneath as well. I'm a little concerned what overspray and the resulting dust and dirt accumulation might do to the ability of these components to cool. Has anyone done their Powerboost equipped truck and if so what has your experience been. I'm in Canada and salt up here likely as for some of the northern areas of the US is pretty prevalent. Thanks for any feedback.
Please read through the thread as it describes my PowerBoost being undercoated. No issues what so ever including on a 2,400 mile road trip to FL and back in June during 90 - 100 degree temps. My PowerBoost ran about same temperatures as my EcoBoost and 5.0.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I have done the Line-X undercoating on my last 7 vehicles. It helps to seal (no rust) and deaden road noise. Never had any issues.

2021 F150 Undercoating 1.jpg

2021 F150 Undercoating Back Wheel 1 - 21_05 29.jpg

2021 F150 Undercoating 6.jpg
Did you do the frame and axle on yours?

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hi, besides installing Xpell film protection for the paint, I was considering installing rubberized undercoating for the vehicle. I have light surface rust on the rear diff like others have mentioned. I was thinking this would give a lasting protecting as well as clean up the underside.

Are their any issues with warranty in having this professionally installed?
Rubberized undercoating is the single worste this you can do. There is a reason why most have moved on from this outdated technology.

This traps moisture and causes rust. Have a little surface rust? Cover it with rubber, and it will be rot soon.

Most major undercoating companies no longer use this rubberized product.

Go get a quote from line-x. Probably get your truck done for $600

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
If your LineX store uses Valugard 104 this is a wax/oil based product, from what I can tell, and is similar to Cosmoline. Cosmoline is the best IMO so something that is similar will be good too. Wax/oil based stays pliable and does not trap in moisture like a hard rubber shell will. Since it is not just an oil based product it does not need reapplication often like Fluid Film.

I plan to have my LineX do my truck with Valugard 104 and I will use Cosmoline myself for any touch ups or to really do inside the box frame.

oncechance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, 302A, FX4, 3.5 EB, 6.5', Max Tow
I mentioned on another post that I just got Krown rust proofing. Gets in to all areas that spray undercoating can't. Do some research, Krown is one of best for rust proofing.

Sponsored

Tmack

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'00 F250 PSD, '22 F150 XLT Powerboost
FWIW, I just had my '22 PB bed and undercoating done at my local Linex dealer. I have the brochure from them that has the Lines and ValuGard logos on it. My truck had some light surface rust on the undercarriage and the shop told me it would not be an issue with the ValuGard. It is a wax based coating, so is FluidFilm. My '00 PSD has had FluidFilm treatments for over a decade and the frame is very solid but the rocker panels are starting to show some rust. But is is 23 years old and still going strong in a salty winter region with 350K on the odo.

The shop sprayed the undercoat in the body cavities and from what I can see it covers all of the exposed parts of the truck. There is a 5 year "limited warranty" on it.

I keep my vehicles longer than most so I am trusting that this is better than doing nothing and better than rubberized which is proven not to be a long term solution.

Just wishing this 150 felt more like a truck than a Cadillac with a bed. Nice and quiet though compared to the 7.3 PSD bucket of rocks that my wife hates!

Billy231

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerstroke
Occupation
Retired
I would also look into a product called Waxoyl, they have a website and dealer locator. There is a shop in Massachusetts that does numerous videos etc showing the process. Application tools to spray deep into frame rails and the product appears to dry almost to a paint like appearance, not like fluid film, which stays wet looking. Fluid film is for an older already rusty type of application where Waxoyl is for a newer application where it can protect and not prevent further rusting.
It all depends on your local shop I guess because you can get numerous opinions rather then facts.
These Waxoyl videos from the shop I watched, pretty much has your truck on a lift and it takes a couple days to prep then spray. I am planning on doing Waxoyl but there is no shop near me worthwhile, so I will have to travel.

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Instructional Designer
Did you do the frame and axle on yours?
Yes, complete underside coating. They don't spray wheels, brakes, driveshaft, exhaust, and transmission. All else coated.

Here is a picture of the frame and the rear axle.

Ford F-150 Rubberized Undercoating 2021 F150 Undercoating Back Wheel 2 - 21_05 29

Ford F-150 Rubberized Undercoating 2021 F150 Undercoating Differential 1 - 21_05 29

Reactions: 780

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Yes, complete underside coating. They don't spray wheels, brakes, driveshaft, exhaust, and transmission. All else coated.

Here is a picture of the frame and the rear axle.

2021 F150 Undercoating Back Wheel 2 - 21_05 29.jpg

2021 F150 Undercoating Differential 1 - 21_05 29.jpg
Talked to them yesterday and was told they just do the belly of the vehicles. Haven't done frames or axles for years now. They said the it can trap moisture, blah, blah, blah.

I asked for the undercoating while making the deal but never confirmed their process. So guess the error is on my part. I guess I took for granted that undercoating would... you know... coat the 'under' of a vehicle with 'coating'..... And under was... under... just not part......

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Instructional Designer
Talked to them yesterday and was told they just do the belly of the vehicles. Haven't done frames or axles for years now. They said the it can trap moisture, blah, blah, blah.

I asked for the undercoating while making the deal but never confirmed their process. So guess the error is on my part. I guess I took for granted that undercoating would... you know... coat the 'under' of a vehicle with 'coating'..... And under was... under... just not part......
I have used Line-X of Fort Wayne for years now and done several vehicles with undercoating, ceramic tint, ceramic paint protection, PPF, spray in bedliner, and tonneau covers. I don't even let the dealer wash the vehicle before they send to Line-X. They were the first to tint my twin-panel roofs which keeps our vehicles much cooler.
Sponsored