Viewing bed cam while driving?

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Anyone with a 360 cam, can you confirm or deny the ability to monitor the bed/trailer while driving forward?
Sponsored

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
I really liked the Toyota system which had you throw the shifter into reverse to activate the rear camera while you were driving. I just about sh*t myself when the salesman said "watch this" while on the freeway and threw it in reverse going 60mph.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I really liked the Toyota system which had you throw the shifter into reverse to activate the rear camera while you were driving. I just about sh*t myself when the salesman said "watch this" while on the freeway and threw it in reverse going 60mph.
Gear? Shifted
Pants? Shidded

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I think I red somewhere on the forum that you can at slow speeds.

Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I think I red somewhere on the forum that you can at slow speeds.
And I'm thinking I read or heard that any of the camera views will disappear after some set amount of time and default the screen back to the main infotainment screen unless you are in reverse perhaps?

But in a year or less someone will have a camera controller available that you can plug in that will allow you to keep any of the views on all the time, and/or put the mirror cams on the screen when you have a turn signal on, etc. They already have them for the Super Duty 5 camera 360 system and Sync 3, so the only development needed will be integrating it with Sync 4.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Anyone with a 360 cam, can you confirm or deny the ability to monitor the bed/trailer while driving forward?
I believe that one can view the bed while moving but only for 15 seconds.

I watched a video on this feature in action.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And I'm thinking I read or heard that any of the camera views will disappear after some set amount of time and default the screen back to the main infotainment screen unless you are in reverse perhaps?

But in a year or less someone will have a camera controller available that you can plug in that will allow you to keep any of the views on all the time, and/or put the mirror cams on the screen when you have a turn signal on, etc. They already have them for the Super Duty 5 camera 360 system and Sync 3, so the only development needed will be integrating it with Sync 4.
I can attest to this for the reverse camera. On my Explorer, the reverse camera will stay on as long as it’s in reverse, obviously. However there is a few seconds the camera will stay on while going forward before turning off. Not sure if it’s time, distance, or speed related...

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I can attest to this for the reverse camera. On my Explorer, the reverse camera will stay on as long as it’s in reverse, obviously. However there is a few seconds the camera will stay on while going forward before turning off. Not sure if it’s time, distance, or speed related...
Lol....... I think it’s Ford lawyers who determined how long it can stay on when moving forward.

If you think about it, it can be dangerous if it’s on too long when the vehicle is rolling down the highway at 55-70 MPH.

Kind of like people being distracted with their cell phone while driving.

Just my opinion.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lol....... I think it’s Ford lawyers who determined how long it can stay on when moving forward.

If you think about it, it can be dangerous if it’s on too long when the vehicle is rolling down the highway at 55-70 MPH.

Kind of like people being distracted with their cell phone while driving.

Just my opinion.
I would like the utility out of it staying on, but too many lawyers’ hands in the cookie ? jar was DEFINITELY the case...

Sponsored

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Power Boost Platinum, 2019 Raptor
Occupation
Retired
I’ve had 2 trucks with 360. Those all had camera display (and outdoor lighting) shuts of if going over 5mph. It’s my understanding that the payload camera has been used on the 250 for a while.
My guess is that you will not be able to leave the light on either,

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I’ve had 2 trucks with 360. Those all had camera display (and outdoor lighting) shuts of if going over 5mph. It’s my understanding that the payload camera has been used on the 250 for a while.
My guess is that you will not be able to leave the light on either,
I found this in the online manual for 2021 f150. Notice warning #3
360 DEGREE CAMERA PRECAUTIONS

Ford F-150 Viewing bed cam while driving? {filename}
WARNING: The 360 degree camera system still requires the driver to use it in conjunction with looking out of the windows, and checking the interior and exterior mirrors for maximum coverage.
WARNING: Objects that are close to either corner of the bumper or under the bumper, might not be seen on the screen due to the limited coverage of the camera system.
WARNING: Use caution when turning camera features on or off when the transmission is not in park (P). Make sure your vehicle is not moving.
WARNING: You are responsible for controlling your vehicle at all times. The system is designed to be an aid and does not relieve you of your responsibility to drive with due care and attention. Failure to follow this instruction could result in the loss of control of your vehicle, personal injury or death.

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I’m learning to navigate the on-line manual and found this bit of info...

Rear View Camera
The rear view camera is on the tailgate. It provides a video image of the area behind your vehicle.
Front View Camera
The front view camera is in the grille. It provides a video image of the area in front of your vehicle.
Side View Camera
The side view camera is on the outside mirror. It provides a video image of the area on the sides of your vehicle to aid you when parking or when backing up a trailer.
Bed Camera
The bed camera is mounted within the high-mount stop lamp. It displays the contents of your truck bed. The camera contains a dynamic guideline to help locate the center of your vehicle. This view can be accessed while in drive (D) or reverse (R).
Auxiliary Camera
The auxiliary camera is a variant of the rear view camera and is accessed by pressing the AUX button on the display screen when moving in reverse (R) or in drive (D). It displays a rear view image from the back of a trailer while in reverse.

Pelican

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat (502A) Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost
Occupation
Financial Management
Wow. I cannot fathom putting my truck into reverse; although, this guy did it and I could not stop laughing leading up to him doing it and shortly thereafter...

Walter Townsend

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Off Road Fishing Edition 5.0
Occupation
Owner Operator Starlight Tool Services Ltd Millwright/Welder/Machinist/Electronics tech
The bed camera view stays on as long as I want it too with my 2021 F-150, but I had to enable bed camera at speed through Forscan.

Conversely my old 2023 Power Boost had that from day one when I got the truck.
Sponsored