Sponsored

21’ Rare Powerstroke Build is 99.99% DONE!

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Hey everyone! After working crazy hours at the hospital and knocking out classes and getting parts installed in my free time, my Powerstroke is finally where I want it, aside from the AFE cold air intake (still waiting for word on compatibility). Here is a video of me going over it with driving impressions too. Enjoy!

Sponsored

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
Looks great. I just put my name on a stock order at my dealer for a truck with the 3.0PSD ordered in June so hopefully the order will pick up and get built. I tried out a 2019 3.0 with my toy hauler and my expectations were definitely exceeded. Although it wasn't even as close to as ballsy as my 3.5 it had adequate torque for climbing the foothills and almost double the mpg. I see between 5 and 7mpg towing with my 3.5 regardless of conditions and the 3.0 averaged just over 12mpg through the foothills with a fairly aggressive crosswind. Basically conditions where I'd see about 5-6mpg with my 3.5.

I absolutely love the 14th generation but I am 100% ready to move on from the Ecoboost platform. I think the 3.0 would help me kick the 6.7PSD can down the road for another few years.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Looks great. I just put my name on a stock order at my dealer for a truck with the 3.0PSD ordered in June so hopefully the order will pick up and get built. I tried out a 2019 3.0 with my toy hauler and my expectations were definitely exceeded. Although it wasn't even as close to as ballsy as my 3.5 it had adequate torque for climbing the foothills and almost double the mpg. I see between 5 and 7mpg towing with my 3.5 regardless of conditions and the 3.0 averaged just over 12mpg through the foothills with a fairly aggressive crosswind. Basically conditions where I'd see about 5-6mpg with my 3.5.

I absolutely love the 14th generation but I am 100% ready to move on from the Ecoboost platform. I think the 3.0 would help me kick the 6.7PSD can down the road for another few years.
My towing expectations for power and MPG were definitely exceeded as well man. If I ever part with this truck, it would be for a tremor superduty 6.7. I can never ever buy a gasoline truck again. 12.1 towing an 8k trailer through California mountains

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
My towing expectations for power and MPG were definitely exceeded as well man. If I ever part with this truck, it would be for a tremor superduty 6.7. I can never ever buy a gasoline truck again. 12.1 towing an 8k trailer through California mountains
I thought it would've had a lot less steam but it almost felt a little snappier from a dead stop than my 3.5 is. My 3.5 takes a ton of pedal to get moving and then picks up when you get some momentum. The 3.0 was the opposite. Seems to make more torque on the bottom end than the 3.5 and then trails off at the top end. Up the steepest grades I climbed it would lose about 6-8mph. I'll take a loss in grunt to double my fuel economy all day long but in the type of conditions I typically tow in I don't think I'll have a power problem. What I put that 3.0 through is easily the most extreme conditions and it did a pretty good job holding speed. The transmission calibration was absolutely terrible but I also hooked 8,000lbs to a truck that spent the last 2 years and 10,000 miles being driven by an elderly fella and never once hooked to a trailer, so if it was my truck I'd have the tables reset and judge after.

Do the 3.0's still have the smaller tank or do they use the 136L now?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I thought it would've had a lot less steam but it almost felt a little snappier from a dead stop than my 3.5 is. My 3.5 takes a ton of pedal to get moving and then picks up when you get some momentum. The 3.0 was the opposite. Seems to make more torque on the bottom end than the 3.5 and then trails off at the top end. Up the steepest grades I climbed it would lose about 6-8mph. I'll take a loss in grunt to double my fuel economy all day long but in the type of conditions I typically tow in I don't think I'll have a power problem. What I put that 3.0 through is easily the most extreme conditions and it did a pretty good job holding speed. The transmission calibration was absolutely terrible but I also hooked 8,000lbs to a truck that spent the last 2 years and 10,000 miles being driven by an elderly fella and never once hooked to a trailer, so if it was my truck I'd have the tables reset and judge after.

Do the 3.0's still have the smaller tank or do they use the 136L now?
Yeah that low end torque makes a huge difference for towing and even driving around town. I can get my diesel to spin those 34’s easier than my EB could lol. I still have the stock fuel tank. I got quotes way too much for the larger one and it just didn’t seem to be worth it for me to upsize.

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
You did what I should have. My May '21 KR PowerBoost is getting 5.5 MPG towing my boat. Argghh. Shame on me. Downsized from a diesel F350 after buying in an HOA-controlled gated community on the ICW in Florida. Biggest allowed truck is half-ton. The PB can do the job, barely, but has only 150-mile range between tank fills.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
You did what I should have. My May '21 KR PowerBoost is getting 5.5 MPG towing my boat. Argghh. Shame on me. Downsized from a diesel F350 after buying in an HOA-controlled gated community on the ICW in Florida. Biggest allowed truck is half-ton. The PB can do the job, barely, but has only 150-mile range between tank fills.
Yeah man I’m sorry. I stayed away from the PB because I distrust the ecoboost from personal experiences and because it’s new technology and would have kinks to work out. Key and eye out for a diesel as I’m sure they aren’t done trickling out of production quite yet with all the delays.

Morinvok

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 f150 xlt, 2021 f150 lariat powerstroke (soon,
Hey everyone! After working crazy hours at the hospital and knocking out classes and getting parts installed in my free time, my Powerstroke is finally where I want it, aside from the AFE cold air intake (still waiting for word on compatibility). Here is a video of me going over it with driving impressions too. Enjoy!

does their 18-20 exhaust also fit the 21s? if so this may be the 1st thing i upgrade after a level, tires and possibly wheels

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
does their 18-20 exhaust also fit the 21s? if so this may be the 1st thing i upgrade after a level, tires and possibly wheels
Mine for just fine. Video of it on my YouTube channel Platinum Peasant
Sponsored