• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dealers not charging deposits

Ciancagl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
Sales
I live in MD and the dealer they gave me by default told me I needed to put down $500 non-refundable deposit when i order. Called around and Bob Bell in Glen Burnie put in writing no deposit needed and they will not be charging a markup above MSRP. Figured this could help for anybody in MD and this thread could be for all states
Sponsored

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Deposits are normal, industry-wide. Some dealerships are offering up a no-deposit order placement on the Lightning or Broncos or other highly anticipated vehicles, as a perk, to get more orders coming their way. Also because they know they will sell them no matter what.

Look at the overall deal before judging on the deposit. Get your pricing agreed to when placing your order so they can’t change it later. Plenty of good dealerships out there who are honoring MSRP or even a bit below on these pre-orders, so don’t go paying markups. I’ve never paid over MSRP for a new vehicle purchase… Won’t start now.

I have no issues with paying a small deposit at the time I finalize my order to secure that order. If I’m unsure of my order or the deposit, then I guess I’m not serious enough to order…

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB
I live in MD and the dealer they gave me by default told me I needed to put down $500 non-refundable deposit when i order. Called around and Bob Bell in Glen Burnie put in writing no deposit needed and they will not be charging a markup above MSRP. Figured this could help for anybody in MD and this thread could be for all states
Don't waste your time with such nonsense...

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/3-under-invoice-chapman-of-horsham.3737/

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/3-under-invoice-on-new-f-150-orders-granger-ford.353/

tkeru408

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2022 F150 Lightning Preorder
I won't mind paying a deposit when I order, it's the non-refundable part of the OPs post I'd have a problem with considering you're asking people to order a new vehicle sight unseen (at least I think it will be sight unseen for most of us since the majority of us haven't been able to attend in person events and I doubt dealers will have demos sitting on their lots for people to test out before ordering...at least in the early days).

Sponsored

PandaSlash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Kia Optima, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
Who was your original dealer? I am placing mine through Bob Davidson near Towson. So far I confirmed no ADM, but just asked about the deposit so waiting to hear back from them.

Wolf Man

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired

corytx69

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3
Wait. Didnt we all reserve a spot on Ford's website? Why are folks going to dealer ?

thevofl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Antimatter Blue F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Math
Wait. Didnt we all reserve a spot on Ford's website? Why are folks going to dealer ?
That's my question.

I went to my dealership yesterday to find out about my Powerboost Limited order. We got around to talking about a potential Lightning order, and he said he would be happy to meet with me the morning that the orders are taken and place my order at that time. It would be then when a possible deposit would be taken.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
We ordered my wife's Mach-e GT at the dealer. As of now, I plan on ordering my Lightning online so I can experience both avenues. So far, it seems like ordering online gives you better tracking capability vs. ordering through the dealer (i.e. the Mach-e doesn't show up in my owner.ford.com page, but the lightning does).

Sponsored

PandaSlash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Kia Optima, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
You Reserve, and ultimately will place your order, through a dealer. If you went to the dealer, they would essentially do the same thing you would be doing from home on the ford website.

Ford can't directly sell you the vehicle like Tesla does.

OP
OP

Ciancagl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
Sales
Who was your original dealer? I am placing mine through Bob Davidson near Towson. So far I confirmed no ADM, but just asked about the deposit so waiting to hear back from them.
Koons in Annapolis

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
You Reserve, and ultimately will place your order, through a dealer. If you went to the dealer, they would essentially do the same thing you would be doing from home on the ford website.

Ford can't directly sell you the vehicle like Tesla does.
Ford is pushing for a more "online purchase model". You spec the vehicle out online, choose a dealer, place a deposit, dealer accepts it, you complete financing (if necessary) online and only have to go to dealer to actually pick up the vehicle and sign final paperwork.

Now, that sounds great and I would prefer this to some of the dealer experiences I've had in the past, but it has not come to pass just yet. I'm sure there will be dealer push back for this as well.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Did they tell you about other fees? Do you mind sharing the name of the person you communicated with? You could PM if you do not wish to post here.

My default dealer was Apple Ford in Columbia, MD:

No Deposit required. Your original $100 is refundable.
Doc fees: $500
Title and Tag: $351
ADM: Expect to be $10K-$15K

No one knew much about lightening. Despite their good reviews, 4 out of 5 people I dealt with was a bad experience. As you can imagine I am dealer shopping and hoping I could do as much of this online as possible.

I think Apple Ford sales folks are selling Tesla’s like hot cakes.

OP
OP

Ciancagl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
Sales
Did they tell you about other fees? Do you mind sharing the name of the person you communicated with? You could PM if you do not wish to post here.

My default dealer was Apple Ford in Columbia, MD:

No Deposit required. Your original $100 is refundable.
Doc fees: $500
Title and Tag: $351
ADM: Expect to be $10K-$15K

No one knew much about lightening. Despite their good reviews, 4 out of 5 people I dealt with was a bad experience. As you can imagine I am dealer shopping and hoping I could do as much of this online as possible.

I think Apple Ford sales folks are selling Tesla’s like hot cakes.
Bob Bell in Glen Burnie!
Sponsored