Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4X4 Lariat 501A Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Doing what Ford should have done in their document:
View attachment 3609
you should mention that in order to get these packages you're required to have the class IV receiver & 7 Pin harness. I ordered the Lariat mid trim with tow tech package and the receiver and 7-pin harness is standard.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
you should mention that in order to get these packages you're required to have the class IV receiver & 7 Pin harness. I ordered the Lariat mid trim with tow tech package and the receiver and 7-pin harness is standard.
It actually states that those are included with the trailer tow packages, and do not have to be added separately.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Doing what Ford should have done in their document:
View attachment 3609
I'm still telling you guys, I get the eerie feeling that with "trailer tow package" you do NOT get the INTEGRATED trailer brake controller of the max tow. I would absolutely hate for people to try to save a few bucks because they only feel they don't need an upgraded bumper on max tow (especially on the hybrids) when I feel that integrated controller is important.

In the previous years it is getting clearer in searching older forums and also dealer website descriptions, that the integrated controller is a standalone option you would have to add, and it makes up for the gap in max tow vs tow package price.

I am VERY curious as to what "trailer brake controller" even means in the regular tow package... I want to see interior shots of where the squeeze trigger goes, as well as the in dash trailer menus, but I realize NO ONE does that in any review as they only get the trucks for a few hours and keep talking about the folding shifter for half of it.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Does anyone know if these trucks (specifically v8) are going to be equipped with an oil cooler?
I originally ordered the tow package just for that, but the dealer neglected to add that to the 2021 version of my original 2020 order.

I really am more interested in the oil cooler than the towing capabilities, just because of the temperatures here. Pretty sure that is what kept my 5.7 Vortec alive for as long as it did before it finally died. (That truck was used as a pasture truck and hauling a stock trailer for years before I got it)

The v8 picture in the B&P shows the cooler, but I am not positive all v8s have them.

Sponsored

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
I'm still telling you guys, I get the eerie feeling that with "trailer tow package" you do NOT get the INTEGRATED trailer brake controller of the max tow. I would absolutely hate for people to try to save a few bucks because they only feel they don't need an upgraded bumper on max tow (especially on the hybrids) when I feel that integrated controller is important.

In the previous years it is getting clearer in searching older forums and also dealer website descriptions, that the integrated controller is a standalone option you would have to add, and it makes up for the gap in max tow vs tow package price.

I am VERY curious as to what "trailer brake controller" even means in the regular tow package... I want to see interior shots of where the squeeze trigger goes, as well as the in dash trailer menus, but I realize NO ONE does that in any review as they only get the trucks for a few hours and keep talking about the folding shifter for half of it.
I believe you may be correct.. When pulling up the info on the "Class IV Trailer Hitch" it has this info...

NOTE: Ordering the Trailer Tow Package does not include Integrated Brake Controller.
Integrated Brake Controller is a standalone option and must be ordered separately.

But when pulling up the "Trailer Tow Package" it shows it is included.. So who knows.. :)

Last edited:

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
This is helpful. That said, in the other thread - @Roger350 brought up the upgraded / stronger rear axle that's not listed in the table or elsewhere... So, there are omissions here in the data available...

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I believe you may be correct.. When pulling up the info on the "Class IV Trailer Hitch" it has this info...

NOTE: Ordering the Trailer Tow Package does not include Integrated Brake Controller.
Integrated Brake Controller is a standalone option and must be ordered separately.

But when pulling up the "Trailer Tow Package" it shows it is included.. So who knows.. :)
It is the word "integrated" that is throwing everything off. Like what the hell is a trailer brake controller that is not "integrated"? Is it just not via the in dash screens and menus? Is it not the squeeze trigger? Is it a 3rd party controller? I can't figure it out!

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
It is the word "integrated" that is throwing everything off. Like what the hell is a trailer brake controller that is not "integrated"? Is it just not via the in dash screens and menus? Is it not the squeeze trigger? Is it a 3rd party controller? I can't figure it out!
This makes it ever worse.. When clicking on the "Integrated Trailer Brake Controller" it states.

Requires Class IV Trailer Hitch.
Included on King Ranch®, Platinum and Limited with Trailer Tow Package, Max Trailer Tow Package or Tow Technology Package.

Available on XL, XLT and LARIAT.

So that makes it clear as mud...

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
This makes it ever worse.. When clicking on the "Integrated Trailer Brake Controller" it states.

Requires Class IV Trailer Hitch.
Included on King Ranch®, Platinum and Limited with Trailer Tow Package, Max Trailer Tow Package or Tow Technology Package.

Available on XL, XLT and LARIAT.

So that makes it clear as mud...
Oh I think that makes sense! That's why it has been so ambiguous. And that's why on the Limited they don't offer max tow, it already includes the "integrated" automatically.

So that DOES mean that for a powerboost on the upper 3 trims, the max tow only upgrades the axle/bumper/brakes.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I’m 99.9% sure they are the same.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L

I think they copied and pasted from last years... lazy misprint.

Bburgeng

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, Escape, 2021 King Ranch F150
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Why is the tailgate LED not included on Max Tow?