Sponsored

Negotiating on a "Build It" Price

GrendyF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT
We are considering using the "Build & Price" website to put together our F150 since we are looking at some specific options and not wanting others. For those of you that have done this, did you still negotiate on the final price when ordering; if so what approach did you use to get below the MSRP? We've bought lots of vehicles but haven't ever specifically ordered one so this is a little new territory. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

TxTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
the first dealer I reached out to via email actually requested I build a truck on their and send it to him as a pdf then he gave me his best price on it. After that I included the the PDF in my emails to every dealer I reached out to and seemed to work well and I feel like I got a good deal. others may have a better solution though.

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
I had the same experience, never bought a custom order before, always off the lot or through dealer trades. I built mine on the website and had a multiple local dealers work up their best offer. Ended up about 4K below MSRP, which was a few hundred over invoice without any rebates/incentives applied.

WXMANNY

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Power boost
Occupation
Meteorology
I had the same experience, never bought a custom order before, always off the lot or through dealer trades. I built mine on the website and had a multiple local dealers work up their best offer. Ended up about 4K below MSRP, which was a few hundred over invoice without any rebates/incentives applied.
ditto.

asked around, on long island not to many dealers cared about a factory order. it was adventure....

close to invoice on a 21 - F150 in limited supply, not bad, these will not be on the lot for long.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
ditto.

asked around, on long island not to many dealers cared about a factory order. it was adventure....

close to invoice on a 21 - F150 in limited supply, not bad, these will not be on the lot for long.
Years ago I was interested in a Silverado, 5.7, 5spd, long bed.
I lived in Salt Lake at the time (mid 90s)
Every single dealer I went to tried to get me into a Cheyenne.
Cheyenne in this generation was nothing more than the base, base, WT with a different grille and available optional wheels.
Not a single one was willing to look for nor order this vehicle.
One was never purchased.

2005, after SHE wrecked both of my T-Birds within a week, I shopped a couple of dealers for a Ranger.
I was specific on the truck, not so much on color.
XLT Extended Cab, v6, 5spd, Tilt, cruise.
One of those dealers had no intention of even looking, the other actually checked 5 states for something.
Low & behold, the truck was at a dealer on the other side of town (although in that despicable “High Plains Drifter” red paint). ( only one in the 5 states)

Been awhile, and I don’t specifically remember that 2nd dealer, but still appreciate his effort and not getting the sale.
Still have that Ranger, but I don’t know how much longer I will have it.
Couple of people are interested when my new one gets here.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Many dealers I contacted did the same as TxTech above. They requested I use the build and price tool and email it to them.

I asked the dealer what their best price was. Many in my area were not willing to budge too much from that (which was $2,000-$3,000) off MSRP. I then asked about Ford X-plan at a few of the dealers and was able to get to a price I was comfortable with.

If you search this website for pricing/negotiating tactics there are literally dozens of threads with additional tips that other people recommend to help you out. Good luck on your hunt!

OP
OP

GrendyF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT
Many dealers I contacted did the same as TxTech above. They requested I use the build and price tool and email it to them.

I asked the dealer what their best price was. Many in my area were not willing to budge too much from that (which was $2,000-$3,000) off MSRP. I then asked about Ford X-plan at a few of the dealers and was able to get to a price I was comfortable with.

If you search this website for pricing/negotiating tactics there are literally dozens of threads with additional tips that other people recommend to help you out. Good luck on your hunt!
That's an interesting thought...what do you need to do to qualify for the Ford X-plan?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's an interesting thought...what do you need to do to qualify for the Ford X-plan?
There are several ways:

1. Join Ford Mustang Club of America - about $25 for an annual membership and they will send you a membership card, and info on how to access Ford’s A/Z/X-plan website.

2. Join the Experimental Aircraft Association - $40 for an annual membership.

3. Purchase 100 shares of Ford stock. After being a shareholder for six months, you will then be given access to X-Plan pricing. As of the closing bell on 12/4, one share of Ford stock is going for $9.34. $9.34 X 100 = $934.

There may be other options that I’m not aware of, but these are the most common.

I personally went with the Mustang Club of America route.

Also note, the A and Z plans are Ford family and employee pricing.

Read the fine print, but it’s fairly simple:

https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/jsp/howitworks/fordpartner_rules.htm

The X-plan will get you a price just over invoice before any applicable rebates. Depending on dealerships in your area, you may be able to negotiate under invoice without using A/Z/X plan. Dealers in my area were not willing got play ball, so X-plan got me to a price I was comfortable with.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck with all of your F-150 endeavors!

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I've been a member of CSAA (AAA) since 1984 and have never been given access to the X Plan. My X Plan access came from my employer so check with your benefits department. If they buy a lot of vehicles from Ford they are typically considered a Ford Partner.

"As an employee of (Company Name), you are eligible to participate in the Partner Recognition X-Plan Vehicle Pricing Program!" "This website allows you to generate a Personal Identification Number (PIN) which authorizes special X-Plan discount pricing on most Ford Motor Company vehicles"

You will need a Partner Code (available from your benefits department) to access the website.

https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/login.do

With that being said this time I took a quote I got from Albert at Granger Ford and shopped it around to the dealers where I live. We have 4 in the metro area. The best I got locally was a dealer that said they'd sell to me at invoice. Another dealer said they could not match Granger's price because they would take a loss. Another said someone would get back to me but they never did.

So I ordered from Albert because even though I will have to either fly there to pick up the truck or have Granger ship it to me, I will still be saving money had I bought locally at invoice or using the X Plan. I recommend contacting Albert to see what he can do for you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jafo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Star white
I'm new to this. I saw info on how to get an Xplan. How do you get A/Z or D plan?

farmeric

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
farming
We are considering using the "Build & Price" website to put together our F150 since we are looking at some specific options and not wanting others. For those of you that have done this, did you still negotiate on the final price when ordering; if so what approach did you use to get below the MSRP? We've bought lots of vehicles but haven't ever specifically ordered one so this is a little new territory. Thanks in advance.
I've done the build and price on my last couple pickups and one for my son. My dealer is more than happy to do this. I go through a fleet program so price on new isn't really negotiable, but the trade in is. To know how the price compares though, I live not too far from 2 dealers that list the MSRP price, their discounts and their "best" price right online. I look at Sioux Falls Ford (Sioux Falls, SD) and Luther Family Ford (Fargo, ND). SF Ford has 135 F 150's listed right now (48 are dealer ordered 2021's) so can usually find one similar to what you are looking for and get an idea of price.

Last edited:

Gonzo67

First Name
Ismario G Gonzalez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 F-150 Lariat, 2020 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 MB C-250
Occupation
Electrical engineer
There are several ways:

1. Join Ford Mustang Club of America - about $25 for an annual membership and they will send you a membership card, and info on how to access Ford’s A/Z/X-plan website.

2. Join the Experimental Aircraft Association - $40 for an annual membership.

3. Purchase 100 shares of Ford stock. After being a shareholder for six months, you will then be given access to X-Plan pricing. As of the closing bell on 12/4, one share of Ford stock is going for $9.34. $9.34 X 100 = $934.

There may be other options that I’m not aware of, but these are the most common.

I personally went with the Mustang Club of America route.

Also note, the A and Z plans are Ford family and employee pricing.

Read the fine print, but it’s fairly simple:

https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/jsp/howitworks/fordpartner_rules.htm

The X-plan will get you a price just over invoice before any applicable rebates. Depending on dealerships in your area, you may be able to negotiate under invoice without using A/Z/X plan. Dealers in my area were not willing got play ball, so X-plan got me to a price I was comfortable with.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck with all of your F-150 endeavors!
Thanks for the tips kNickell. Very Helpful.

I became a member of MCA today for 1 year for 25$. I was then able to obtain a PIN for the X-plan following instructions here:

https://mustang.org/member-services/x-plan/

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the tips kNickell. Very Helpful.

I became a member of MCA today for 1 year for 25$. I was then able to obtain a PIN for the X-plan following instructions here:

https://mustang.org/member-services/x-plan/
No problem. Glad I was able to help.

Once you have access to login to the Ford X-plan site, you can build out your truck with X-plan prices on the F-150 Build & Price. If you already generated your pin, do keep in mind it does expire if not used. Mine gave me an expiration date of one year from the day I pulled it.
Sponsored