Oil catch can

cverdone

First Name
Chaz F-150
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 powerboost
Does the new 2021 F-150 power boost need a catch can? I have one on my older 2014 ecoboost and it worked very good. Just was not sure with the powerboost and the hybrid part.

thank you,
Chuck
Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Does the new 2021 F-150 power boost need a catch can? I have one on my older 2014 ecoboost and it worked very good. Just was not sure with the powerboost and the hybrid part.

thank you,
Chuck
I'm going to go with no since it has port fuel injection with direct injection. People usually ran them when GDI engines first came out because there was no port injection and nothing to keep the valves clean, which means that crud/gunk could build up on them.

I'm sure you'll have people that will do it anyways and argue otherwise.

OP
OP

cverdone

First Name
Chaz F-150
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 powerboost
I'm going to go with no since it has port fuel injection with direct injection. People usually ran them when GDI engines first came out because there was no port injection and nothing to keep the valves clean, which means that crud/gunk could build up on them.

Yeah

This is the one I was going to purchase

Proven Ground C&L Series Gen 2 Monster Oil Separator Catch Can; Black (Universal Fitment)
Our Price $314.99 (each)
Item T542720
Ford F-150 Oil catch can Star_4.3
10 Reviews
Save
  • Ford F-150 Oil catch can Star_4.3
  • Ford F-150 Oil catch can T542720_alt1?wid=1200&hei=900&op_usm=0

Doyouevenboost

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker
Port injection does not cure blow by. It may help by washing the valves, but you are still pushing contaminates through the engine with the factory PCV system. This is amplified with turbocharged applications. Catch cans weren’t created just to cure the problems with direct injection.

I installed my JLT 3.0 at appx 60 miles, a little over a week ago, and now have 380 miles.

I checked mine for the sake of this thread. It may only be a few drops of contaminates, but I sure am glad they aren’t being pushed through my engine.
Ford F-150 Oil catch can FCB86249-8045-452D-8E84-5A0CB8F907CF

OP
OP

cverdone

First Name
Chaz F-150
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 powerboost
Port injection does not cure blow by. It may help by washing the valves, but you are still pushing contaminates through the engine with the factory PCV system. This is amplified with turbocharged applications. Catch cans weren’t created just to cure the problems with direct injection.

I installed my JLT 3.0 at appx 60 miles, a little over a week ago, and now have 380 miles.

I checked mine for the sake of this thread. It may only be a few drops of contaminates, but I sure am glad they aren’t being pushed through my engine.
Ford F-150 Oil catch can {filename}
I don’t have a picture of my catch cannon my old ecoboost. The catch can had a tan color at the bottom and thick like Carmel.

Sponsored

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
I know a guy with 300k on a first gen 3.5 eco boost with no catch can. Seems fine, he’s probably ripping 80 on his way home from work in it right about now.

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
I know a guy with 300k on a first gen 3.5 eco boost with no catch can. Seems fine, he’s probably ripping 80 on his way home from work in it right about now.
It’s a personal choice though.

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
This is the one I was going to purchase

Proven Ground C&L Series Gen 2 Monster Oil Separator Catch Can; Black (Universal Fitment)
Our Price $314.99 (each)
Dang buddy, buy the JTL one the other person posted about, it's a direct fit (not universal) and it's half the price...

JDinNFLA

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Star White 3.5 EB

thank you,
Chuck
Do not listen to the “Ford fixed this don’t need side”
if so where is the oil vapor I find in my passenger side catch going going if there’s no can? It’s going inside the intake. Prefer mine clean than loaded with oily residue. JLT is easy to install and does the job.

OP
OP

cverdone

First Name
Chaz F-150
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 powerboost
Dang buddy, buy the JTL one the other person posted about, it's a direct fit (not universal) and it's half the price...
Yes JTL is what I had on my truck before. JTL is working on manufacturing one for the 2021 year truck. They said hopefully end of summer. ?

Sponsored

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Industrial Equipment Sales
The carmel colored gunk in the can (which will not come out of a drain cock, BTW) is emulsified oil and water mix. Then oily residues with blow-by products like gas and carbon sit on top of that. My 2013 with dual cans will be full on the passenger side and half full on the driver side at the 6000 mi oil change intervals I maintain. There is no way I will let that mess into my new Hybrid when it arrives. One observation on cans, I went cheap and made my dual system with Chinese cans and check valves and it works fine, but there is a charm in high end systems with AN style fittings on formed lines and a single large can that mounts ahead of the radiator support. Regardless of your budget, all Ecoboost engines need catch cans, period.
Sponsored