First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I just called a dealer in the Bay Area California and they said they have a 2021 regular cab XL in the lot!
Which dealer? Morgan Hill? I know they are the largest but I have been working with Capitol in san jose...
Sponsored

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
Which dealer? Morgan Hill? I know they are the largest but I have been working with Capitol in san jose...
Mission Valley Ford, how did they treat ya? I placed my order on Hillier Ford in Escalon by Stockton

bgrohmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 Lariat
I did not know that the Max Tow would lower your payload number. I mean, it makes sense, as you are adding beefier bits to the truck, but now I am questioning whether I need it or not. Ford knows what all these items weight, I wish the build tool would give you an estimated payload.

Just for reference, in case someone has a question about it:

Payload - 1,500 lbs
Trailer - 5,000 lbs
Tongue Weight - 500 lbs (10% of trailer for this example)
New Payload - 1,000 lbs
Here is a great article I just found that describes the different components of the Max tow vs the standard towing. It's not so much about the weight but added components like including the v8 engine in the price, trailer braking, upgrading axle to 3.55 ratio, larger fuel tank and other similar components to the standard towing package upgrade. https://www.kingsfordinc.com/blog/what-is-the-ford-max-tow-package/

Last edited:

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
Thanks for this! This is encouraging I’ll gain at least a few hundred pounds of payload over my 16.
The 18 will have less payload than a similar 16. The gen 2 EB + the 10 speed weighs a bit more.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
On the Lariat if you select the max tow it makes you take the 20" rim However, if you select the sport package and then the max tow you get to keep the 18" rims. Go figure. The tow number for the regular tow are still crazy good for me and I do not like the red interior trim for the sport so I stayed with the chrome. Different choices for different people.
I just looked at the guide and its the 18 PVD wheels that dont allow max tow. It looks like if you choose one of the more expensive 18" wheels max tow is ok.

Sponsored

r-model

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Competition Orange Mustang GT with some goodies, 2021 F150 XLT 302A Velocity Blue (ordered)
Occupation
designer
2 of the local dealers here in Toronto, Ontario Canada have just gotten some dropped off, 2 black ones and 1 grey, this was what I seen on IG (SummitFord) and Colony Ford

Wally27

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Escape, 2020 Ford Edge
Occupation
Cabinet Maker
Makes sense. The

Nice. That is a very health number. The 18" and the extra payload from the 6.5 likely helping you get there. Your old one a 3.5 also or is it a 5.0?
Current one is 3.5 eco boost. New one,I went back to the 5.0

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Here is a great article I just found that describes the different components of the Max tow vs the standard towing. It's not so much about the weight but added components like including the v8 engine in the price, trailer braking, upgrading axle to 3.55 ratio, larger fuel tank and other similar components to the standard towing package upgrade. https://shop.ford.com/build/f150/?gnav=header-trucks-bp#/config/Config[|Ford|F-150|2021|1|1.|502A.W1C..AZ...LAR.998.CCAB.64L.655.RETAIL.XL9.53A.SS5.]
Thanks @bgrohmann. It looks like this link is for a build you might have been doing.

I am going to be ordering the Powerboost. That will eliminate the V8, but will add the weight of the hybrid system. The fuel tank will also not change, as the Powerboost has a stand-alone size; the Powerboost is also only available in one axle ratio, 3.73. I have read that the Max Towing does add a 3/4 Float Rear Axle that will better distribute the weight to the axle itself and off the axle shafts. This along with the heavier duty bumper and larger brakes are the real benefits of the package, in my estimation. Unfortunately, the package does come with a ton of items that the Platinum provides as standard, so it should be less expensive to add on upper models...should be...but it is not!

bgrohmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 Lariat
Thanks @bgrohmann. It looks like this link is for a build you might have been doing.

I am going to be ordering the Powerboost. That will eliminate the V8, but will add the weight of the hybrid system. The fuel tank will also not change, as the Powerboost has a stand-alone size; the Powerboost is also only available in one axle ratio, 3.73. I have read that the Max Towing does add a 3/4 Float Rear Axle that will better distribute the weight to the axle itself and off the axle shafts. This along with the heavier duty bumper and larger brakes are the real benefits of the package, in my estimation. Unfortunately, the package does come with a ton of items that the Platinum provides as standard, so it should be less expensive to add on upper models...should be...but it is not!
Sorry fixed it above but here is the link - https://www.kingsfordinc.com/blog/what-is-the-ford-max-tow-package/

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Pro
I just called a dealer in the Bay Area California and they said they have a 2021 regular cab XL in the lot!
Probably a Super Duty
Spoke with my dealer just a while ago and he thought he had one as well.
But then again, if it was a fleet order, those follow different set of rules

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Mission Valley Ford, how did they treat ya? I placed my order on Hillier Ford in Escalon by Stockton
My sales guy was AWESOME in 2017, he's still there but now i'm dealing with the inventory guy basically, so it is not as worth the 2hr distance, so I'm also trying Future and Elk Grove (tomorrow)

@21PlatiDZL did you see this? Your color trifecta will be waiting at Morgan Hill...

Ford F-150 2021 F-150 have arrived at dealers locally! 1607039395172

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
My sales guy was AWESOME in 2017, he's still there but now i'm dealing with the inventory guy basically, so it is not as worth the 2hr distance, so I'm also trying Future and Elk Grove (tomorrow)

@21PlatiDZL did you see this? Your color trifecta will be waiting at Morgan Hill...

1607039395172.png
Do you know anyone at Morgan Hill Ford?

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
Hi All.
What is the main different between Retail and stock orders that I keep reading about in this forum! Also, I think I have a 10 priority as per the build sheet. Is that good?

Thanks
Sponsored