Heavy Duty Payload Package and PowerBoost or Lariat/King Ranch/Limited

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
So the Heavy Duty Payload package which significantly increases the vehicles payload (according to the F150 Spec Sheet) is not available with a PowerBoost engine in 2021.

What is actually done to the F150 to increase its payload? Any chance that the Heavy Duty Payload package could be offered with the PowerBoost engine in 2022?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So, found this article which has good info on the package. It says:

"The payload package includes a 3.73-geared electronic-locking rear axle, 9.75-inch gearset, 36-gallon fuel tank (except XL regular cab models), LT265/70R18C OWL all-terrain tires, upgraded springs, and unique 18-inch silver-painted aluminum wheels."

I imagine the 36 Gallon tank and and wheels are added just because and do nothing to actually increase the payload.

Most of that stuff comes with the Max Tow Package. So, the springs are the only difference?

I don't see why that couldn't be added in 2022 or effectively added to a 2021 in the aftermarket (Of course adding springs in the aftermarket doesn't change the GVWR so, legally, I guess you can't haul more ?).

dweller

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Soon maybe 2021 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB 4x4 Lead Foot
Occupation
Army
Pure speculation, but I think parts of the heavy duty payload package / max tow are actually included when you add the Powerboost since the batteries are so heavy. Adding the Powerboost automatically adds the 3.55 axle on 4x2 and the 3.73 on 4x4 models (axles that come with max tow or hdpp). I think the batteries are heavy, and use up the increased payload.

EDIT: and looking at the base curb weights in the spec sheet, Powerboost adds 500-600 lbs which is almost the same as the payload increase added by the max tow / hdpp

Last edited:

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Pure speculation, but I think parts of the heavy duty payload package / max tow are actually included when you add the Powerboost since the batteries are so heavy. Adding the Powerboost automatically adds the 3.55 axle on 4x2 and the 3.73 on 4x4 models (axles that come with max tow or hdpp). I think the batteries are heavy, and use up the increased payload.
PB also has 3 leaf springs like the HDPP.

dweller

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Soon maybe 2021 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB 4x4 Lead Foot
Occupation
Army
So the Heavy Duty Payload package which significantly increases the vehicles payload (according to the F150 Spec Sheet) is not available with a PowerBoost engine in 2021.

What is actually done to the F150 to increase its payload? Any chance that the Heavy Duty Payload package could be offered with the PowerBoost engine in 2022?
btw the build tool has info on what’s included in packages and compatibility info:

Ford F-150 Heavy Duty Payload Package and PowerBoost or Lariat/King Ranch/Limited ED8B9B12-BDD2-4725-81B8-E6CF98CFD455

Ford F-150 Heavy Duty Payload Package and PowerBoost or Lariat/King Ranch/Limited 02A047DB-1DE2-4F31-81DC-553607160E81

Sponsored

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EDIT: and looking at the base curb weights in the spec sheet, Powerboost adds 500-600 lbs which is almost the same as the payload increase added by the max tow / hdpp
That's makes sense.

However, the GVWR of a Powerboost is only 7,350lbs, but for a SuperCrew Ecoboost with the Heavy-Duty Payload Package (HDPP), it's 7,850lbs. So the HDPP increases the GVWR somehow and it can't just be that there 500-600lbs of battery the Powerboost is taking up the capacity that would otherwise got to the HDPP.

So the difference with the HDPP must be more than the 3 leave springs? Can "Upgraded Springs" in the HDPP mean more than just the 3 Leaf springs that the PowerBoost shares?

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
This question is an example of the "there is no such thing as an F-150" conundrum when ordering an F-150. There are so many ways to configure the F-150. I assume 90% of buyers want a supercrew 4x4 with 5 1/2 foot bed. I went for FX-4 and Max Tow to get both ride quality, haul and tow maximums for a 6 1/2 foot bed. I've not seen actual component specs other than the rear rotor diameter increases, but I chose those options on the basis of FX-4 having dampers that resist overheating better than stock and Max Tow upgrades rear brake rotors as well as fortifies the rear end. I've been over max rating (full cabin plus heavy power tools and equipment in the bed) and the Hybrid didn't seem to care. All I did was up the tire pressures to give it a more stable ride at higher speeds. I think you'd have to be hauling pig iron in the F-150 before you'd make it unsafe or unstable, but we know mpg will suffer.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
There's a few threads already discussing the differences, complete with charts and tables. Though I don't recall if there's a definitive thread with all the information.

There's a number of changes to various components depending on the configurations chosen. The main ones being:

Frame thickness, a few different ones.

Ford F-150 Heavy Duty Payload Package and PowerBoost or Lariat/King Ranch/Limited EAEA4EB6-7D2F-4504-B421-8032B67DE161

Spring rates, two different three leaf spring packs.

Ford F-150 Heavy Duty Payload Package and PowerBoost or Lariat/King Ranch/Limited E760A068-F490-417A-80F4-8850775F6733

Rear axle, two 9.75" axles but one is more heavy duty.

Ford F-150 Heavy Duty Payload Package and PowerBoost or Lariat/King Ranch/Limited DCA0ECA2-2AA8-45DC-9FE2-C3F0F98C54F6

The Powerboost has a GVWR of 7,350lbs versus the HDPP GVWR of 7,850lbs, however the Powerboost has a 500lb higher front GAWR, so the Powerboost has 1,000lbs less gross axle weight rating on the rear axle than a similar HDPP truck.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...2021/f150/pdfs/2021-F-150-Technical-Specs.pdf

and they do share the 3/4 floating rear axle if you option the Powerboost with Max Tow, but with the lighter rear GAWR it looks like the heavier rear axle does hurt the payload on the Powerboost.

Either way, other than the sticker inside the door frame, it really looks like the only difference is the spring rate for the rear leaves that keep the Powerboost from having a few hundred pounds more payload.

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Frame thickness, a few different ones.

EAEA4EB6-7D2F-4504-B421-8032B67DE161.png
Thanks. I was wondering if there were actual frame differences.

Not entirely clear on this table though. Row 19 shows 'Yes' for 'PB', 'HPP' for 'Frames', and '0.102' for 'F-Thick' . Does this mean you get a '0.102' thick frame with a PowerBoost 4x4?

Where can I find the source info for this table?

Rear axle, two 9.75" axles but one is more heavy duty.
It looks like the difference is just the limited slip differential vs. the electronic locking diff (which you can get with the FX4 an max payload package on a PowerBoost)

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
That's makes sense.

However, the GVWR of a Powerboost is only 7,350lbs, but for a SuperCrew Ecoboost with the Heavy-Duty Payload Package (HDPP), it's 7,850lbs. So the HDPP increases the GVWR somehow and it can't just be that there 500-600lbs of battery the Powerboost is taking up the capacity that would otherwise got to the HDPP.

So the difference with the HDPP must be more than the 3 leave springs? Can "Upgraded Springs" in the HDPP mean more than just the 3 Leaf springs that the PowerBoost shares?
Hybrid battery packs are heavy. I absolutely believe that the battery alone is probably 500lb by itself. Also the added weight of the additional cooling the battery system needs should also be considered.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hybrid battery packs are heavy. I absolutely believe that the battery alone is probably 500lb by itself. Also the added weight of the additional cooling the battery system needs should also be considered.
Adding components like batteries won't decrease the GVWR and the 4x4 Ecoboost SuperCrew with HDPP has a 500lbs greater GVWR than the equivalent F150 with a PowerBoost.

There is something that increases the GVWR with HDPP. It's not just that the weight of the PowerBoost components negates any benefits of the HDPP.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
The battery is 1.5kWh, so it weighs 1.5% of a 100kWh battery, which is about 1400lbs in a Tesla, about 20-30lbs in a robust enclosure you can see in the test videos. A 12V car starter battery is about 1 to 1.2 kWh, so that's about the size … really frustrating Ford put the bare minimum in this Truck. Presumably to distance it from the Lightning. I think if Ford made the F-150 Hybrid a 30kWh plug-in (like the Lincoln) it would take away Lightning sales (and generally be a better truck for long distance and towing even with only 1.5kWh and a 40hp motor.
The heavy wiring for the hybrid drive, the onboard power wiring and inverter, the motor in the flywheel … that could all add up to 300lbs+ … not nothing, but not much … I wish the Hybrid had 500lbs of battery in it.

Reactions: 780
OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To be clear, having batteries may decrease payload capacity, but it would not decrease the GVWR. A truck with the HDPP has a greater GVWR which accounts for the increased payload capacity. In other words, no one can claim that just adding weight (i.e. batteries) as the reason you can't get the HDPP.

However, this article was helpful to me in understanding what changes affect the GVWR

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/raising-your-trucks-payload

I hadn't realized that tires and wheels make a big difference in increasing the GAWR (and effectively the GWVR). Since the HDPP comes with wheels and tires you can get with no other package, this is probably what's mostly responsible for the 500 increase you get when you buy the HDPP.

So I'm thinking that getting the Max Trailer Tow Package and upgrading the wheels and tire will get you pretty close to having what you'd have with the HDPP.

The only other component I'm not entirely sure of is the 9.75" gearset which isn't listed in any package you can get with a PowerBoost engine or the higher end configs. Anyone know what this gearset has to do with increasing the GVWR?

Last edited:

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Where can I find the source info for this table?
I believe that it's from another forum member and a thread trying to decode the various frame stickers and what trucks get which frame in a certain configuration. Ford is rather opaque about the frame thickness of trucks and while thicker frames are are always on some of the trucks, others that are identically equipped sometimes will have a thicker frame. Though overall, the frame thickness of every truck is thinner than historic trucks.

I took a screenshot, since threads tend to get buried and it helps explain the different configurations and why certain trucks can or cannot be ordered in certain configurations, while Ford tries their best to give consumers more choices and still reach EPA efficiency goals.