First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
On my 2018, which had adaptive cruise - occasionally the adaptive cruise would shut down due to the radar sensor being covered with layer of ice or slush during the winter. When I ordered my 2021 PB, I had hoped that they might have improved the resiliency of the radar system. Well, while driving over the weekend in super heavy t-storms (I mean really heavy), I had the adaptive cruise/driver assist enabled as an extra layer of safety due to the limited visibility on the expressway. It worked for 30-40 minutes, but then just shut down (same warning). It was more of a white-knuckle drive from that point on as radar certainly helps when you're not able to see 3 car lengths in front of you. My point is - does anyone else have this problem? I would think that these circumstances would be precisely what you'd want this technology for, and that some 'rain' shouldn't prevent radar from working. A little frustrated at the fragility of the system...
Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
On my 2018, which had adaptive cruise - occasionally the adaptive cruise would shut down due to the radar sensor being covered with layer of ice or slush during the winter. When I ordered my 2021 PB, I had hoped that they might have improved the resiliency of the radar system. Well, while driving over the weekend in super heavy t-storms (I mean really heavy), I had the adaptive cruise/driver assist enabled as an extra layer of safety due to the limited visibility on the expressway. It worked for 30-40 minutes, but then just shut down (same warning). It was more of a white-knuckle drive from that point on as radar certainly helps when you're not able to see 3 car lengths in front of you. My point is - does anyone else have this problem? I would think that these circumstances would be precisely what you'd want this technology for, and that some 'rain' shouldn't prevent radar from working. A little frustrated at the fragility of the system...
This is the case on pretty much all manufacturers. I’m waiting on my truck still, so driving my 2020 Genesis G70. Genesis is well regarded as having some of the best driver assistance in the industry. Probably 4-5 times in my 24,000 miles of ownership, I’ve been in insanely heavy downpours which I can barely see in, and I’m always impressed at how long the lane keep and radar cruise last before they’re unable to continue. However in those instances, I still did eventually get a warning “lane keep assist unavailable: camera blocked” and “smart cruise control unavailable: radar blocked.” It’s just the fact of the systems, if you can’t see, how do you expect the car to?

I have a hunch as well that the radar probably still can see pretty well, but they likely require a high confidence level for the system to stay on, as cutting off is better than randomly slamming on the brakes because the rain is making the car think that it is too close to another…

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
radar needs to see just like you, LOL

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
I’ve had similar experiences with mine. I’ve also had a couple instances where lane keep assist doesn’t engage when using cruise. It’s happened twice in a month and each time turning the truck off to restart fixed it.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I think the issue probably has to do more with the camera. According to the manual the adaptive cruise control uses both the radar and the camera. If it's raining heavy then just like you, the camera can't see. It's safer to disable the system then to have it guessing.

Also the manual states:
WARNING: Do not use the systemin poor visibility, for example fog, heavyrain, spray or snow.
I remember when driving when I was younger that it was recommended not to use cruise control at all when it was raining or slippery out. My dad had a friend that totaled a car when he was using cruise control in the rain going up a hill.

TremOX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tremor, 402, Oxford White
Update: wiped down the ford logo on the grill as it was a bit dirty, and otherwise any other random areas on the bumper which might hide the sensor... PITA, but did the trick and worked to get it back going.. O did not turn off the ignition, so it must have cleaned something off. The sensor on the windshield is cleared by the wipers otherwise.

Twice today mine has turned off (adaptive cruise). It's a very light rain, almost snow. Roads are wet, but no snow accumulation. Wasn't driving behind anyone either time, wipers at a slow pace.

Coming from my Audi allroad, this system seems fragile for sure, and I am very disappointed as this feature is a deal breaker for me in vehicles.

Of note, had the truck in yesterday for other random issues, they had to refresh or calibrate the rear park assist as it was defective on delivery. That was fixed, but now today I am starting to get these issues?

I've driven in heavier snow and rain prior to today without issue and adaptive cruise worked fine...
Sponsored

Last edited: