Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Not saying it doesn’t happen, but that would severely piss me off. As particular as I am, I want that odometer as close to 0 as possible, and I don’t want some kid with their greasy paws all over my new truck.

I’m also planning on giving my dealer explicit instructions not to take any of the plastic, protective covers, or window sticker off of it until I see it myself.
absolutely agree- as I will do the same. The can clean outside only. You can bet that I will also conduct a 100% inspection before I hand over any $. Mine will be the 1st high end model to arrive @ the dealership- I also know how salesmen can be when a new model shows up. I will do my best to be there will it’s delivered.
Sponsored

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
Yeah I wouldn't either, plus the ride is not as nice as a F150.

With a 12,700 lb tow limit, I don't see how even 7k would even come close to your limit. I know the heavier models have less weight limits but still, if Ford was using the same model at 7200 lbs, must be higher than that .

All these video's you see at Ford drive events that had towing set up for demonstrations, are using 7,200 lb trailer loads. You know they would not use loads over their towing limit.

They used all the motor configurations with a couple of PowerBoost and all were 4X4s. One video I watched they even had a max tow and a regular tow package, yet still pulling 7,200 lb.

My boat and tandem trailer is a touch over 5,000 and the truck doesn't even grunt to tow it. And that is with my 2018 with less power and towing limits. I think it was something over 11,000 pds.

Anyway, good hunting!
All cargo and occupant weight must not exceed the yellow payload sticker inside the door frame. Most of the trucks I have seen so far that are nicely equipped are showing ~1300 pounds of payload. The key here is the payload guide is not out so understanding what each options weighs require that we get a large sampling of trucks and the associated stickers to determine what weighs what. 1300 pounds is not sufficient for a 5-6K travel trailer with family. 850 pound tongue weight, 50 pound bed cover, 120 pound hitch, 500 pounds of family and you can easily need a 1500 pound payload to meet my needs. Its never about pull on 1/2 tons always about haul. You will exceed your payload or rear axle rating way before you run out of pull. If you notice in the videos the trucks they are pulling 7200 pounds with are not limited/plat/KR, they are using XLT's and they have only a driver no passengers or cargo. That's great if you go camping by yourself but most of us want to bring our family.

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
I want to be able to tow a 5-6K travel trailer with me my wife and kid in the truck. I am looking at ordering a truck but have no idea if the truck I am ordering will be capable of that feat. I don't want to deal with the larger size of the superduty.
towing not an issue but payload may be depending on how it’s equipped. My 2016 has payload capacity of 1310 pounds. A popup camper with tongue weight of about 300-350 plus a family of four (2 teenagers) and all our crap in the back and we are pushing the limit if not over. My 2016 payload is less than my wife’s explorer and less than my friends minivan which was a good laugh for him at my expense.

i ordered a longer box, max tow, no sunroof, etc to try to up the payload. I’m still a little nervous to see what the yellow sticker will say. hoping Some show up at local dealers soon so I can start opening doors and checking the yellow sticker.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
towing not an issue but payload may be depending on how it’s equipped. My 2016 has payload capacity of 1310 pounds. A popup camper with tongue weight of about 300-350 plus a family of four (2 teenagers) and all our crap in the back and we are pushing the limit if not over. My 2016 payload is less than my wife’s explorer and less than my friends minivan which was a good laugh for him at my expense.

i ordered a longer box, max tow, no sunroof, etc to try to up the payload. I’m still a little nervous to see what the yellow sticker will say. hoping Some show up at local dealers soon so I can start opening doors and checking the yellow sticker.
Please post the pictures when you do. The window sticker and the payload. That should give us an idea real quick what payloads we will see out of the 2021.

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
Not saying it doesn’t happen, but that would severely piss me off. As particular as I am, I want that odometer as close to 0 as possible, and I don’t want some kid with their greasy paws all over my new truck.

I’m also planning on giving my dealer explicit instructions not to take any of the plastic, protective covers, or window sticker off of it until I see it myself.
Can dealers make that accommodations for customers? If so, I would like to see something like that happen in Toronto... thx

Sponsored

NoSnow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
i ordered a longer box, max tow, no sunroof, etc to try to up the payload
I don't believe the max tow will help with payload as it may actually hurt you. Depending on the configuration the max tow may force you to 20" wheels (+30lbs - another rant is that I absolutely hate lower profile tires on a truck but that's a discussion for another day), larger rear brakes (+?), different bumper (+??), etc. Again depends on configuration as you may already have these options. For me, I really don't see any advantage to the max tow as the regular tow rating is more than enough for my needs. I do agree that the payload will probably be exceeded before the tow rating.

Mabes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
I have a quick question for everyone talking about payload. I want the Platinum SCrew 3.5 ecoboost with 5.5 bed. On the specs it says 2,100 pounds. But what model is Ford using to get that 2,100?

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
I have a quick question for everyone talking about payload. I want the Platinum SCrew 3.5 ecoboost with 5.5 bed. On the specs it says 2,100 pounds. But what model is Ford using to get that 2,100?
The marketing sheet number is typically a 4x2 XL truck with zero options. The loaded EcoBoost platinums I have seen stickers for so far are around 1400 pound payload.

Sponsored

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
I ordered a 3.5 Eco super crew 5.5 bed w/max tow, 4x2.. Are you telling me the specs on this sheet are not accurate? Because according to the chart, the max payload on this setup is 2,300. https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2021/f150/pdfs/2021-F-150-Technical-Specs.pdf
Did you order an XL with no options ? As you go up in trim every trim level has less payload then inside the trim every option you selected subtract from your payload. Some options are very heavy like max tow, sunroom, running boards, power tailgate , bed liner.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran

NoSnow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Did you order an XL with no options ? As you go up in trim every trim level has less payload then inside the trim every option you selected subtract from your payload. Some options are very heavy like max tow, sunroom, running boards, power tailgate , bed liner.
Good advice. Once you get past the xl trim and start adding options the payload goes down fast. In most cases, the more the tow weight is the biggest impact is on the payload. It is ironic that with the Max tow package you actually reduce the payload which reduces what you can tow.

bgrohmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 Lariat
Got it. Damn you Marketing! I don't have an RV but I am seriously considering getting one in the near future. I'm not going to max out the weight and would probably go as light as possible but I've seen some videos of guys adding the airlift adjustable suspension on the rear as an aftermarket change to help. Does that help "increase" your payload or just cover up the problem and ultimately do more harm to your truck than good?