First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired from IBM
I just got my F-150 with the 7.2KW pro power, I have been trying to get it to run my camper. with the camper (120v 30a)plugged in I get a ground fault message and the generator breaker trips. I have checked all the wiring in the camper just to make sure it didn't have an issue even though i have never had an issue with it before. I run it with a 2.7KW portable generator so I don't know why pro power can't handle it. I talked to the dealer and they don't know anything about pro power. I have seen a couple posts where people are running a lot of things with no issues. I am at a lose on what to try next.
Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
Did you try turning on things in the camper 1 by 1 to see if a specific device is tripping? Perhaps something without a plug like A/C or hot water heater? I would turn off all the breakers in the camper and turn them on one by one. Also, in case you didn't realize it, you have to turn pro-power on before you can use it. If you just plug something in and start it up, the 400w inverter will try to run it, not the 7200w pro-power. Turn it on from the 12" screen or your phone app.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
I just got my F-150 with the 7.2KW pro power, I have been trying to get it to run my camper. with the camper (120v 30a)plugged in I get a ground fault message and the generator breaker trips. I have checked all the wiring in the camper just to make sure it didn't have an issue even though i have never had an issue with it before. I run it with a 2.7KW portable generator so I don't know why pro power can't handle it. I talked to the dealer and they don't know anything about pro power. I have seen a couple posts where people are running a lot of things with no issues. I am at a lose on what to try next.
How old is the camper? If you havent had any issues running on a 2.7kw genny it must be something simple like an incorrect ground. Is your previous generator (2.7kW) an inverter genny?
Did you try turning on things in the camper 1 by 1 to see if a specific device is tripping? Perhaps something without a plug like A/C or hot water heater? I would turn off all the breakers in the camper and turn them on one by one. Also, in case you didn't realize it, you have to turn pro-power on before you can use it. If you just plug something in and start it up, the 400w inverter will try to run it, not the 7200w pro-power. Turn it on from the 12" screen or your phone app.
That was my thought too.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Yes, like Aj said, unplug/switch off/turn every RV breaker off. Then turn on each one, one at a time.

There has been plenty of reports of RV that have been working fine with other power systems, not working with ProPower.

ProPower has all the latest fault and monitoring in it (GFI, etc.).

RVs get wired incorrectly (particularly the RV GFI circuits) but work fine with "dumb" power for years.

This is across the board, from high (Airstreams) down to the budget brands.

P.S. ex-Beamer also

mz1164

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Lariat eco, 2021 platinum pb
check the breaker directly above the ac outlet on the dash.

Sponsored

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I Kept getting a "Pro Power left breaker in bed tripped" warning shortly after I picked up the truck. I reset the breaker 3 or 4 times but still got the msg every time I started the truck. I reset the breaker on the dash and turned the Pro Power off and on a couple times at the dash switch and it's been fine since then. I don't know if it will help with your problem but worth a try.

OP
OP
Lonewolf

Lonewolf

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired from IBM
How old is the camper? If you havent had any issues running on a 2.7kw genny it must be something simple like an incorrect ground. Is your previous generator (2.7kW) an inverter genny?

That was my thought too.
The camper is a 2015, my generator is a powerhouse 2700 inverter.

OP
OP
Lonewolf

Lonewolf

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired from IBM
Yes, like Aj said, unplug/switch off/turn every RV breaker off. Then turn on each one, one at a time.

There has been plenty of reports of RV that have been working fine with other power systems, not working with ProPower.

ProPower has all the latest fault and monitoring in it (GFI, etc.).

RVs get wired incorrectly (particularly the RV GFI circuits) but work fine with "dumb" power for years.

This is across the board, from high (Airstreams) down to the budget brands.

P.S. ex-Beamer also
I plugged my testator in all the outlets and metered the hardwired stuff. Pulled the frame ground off cleaned it all up and screwed it back o the frame. With all the breakers on and nothing turned on the pro power reads 200 watts of consumption I turn on the AC blower and it spikes to 400 then drops to 300 Watts. If I turn on the AC or the microwave it trips the pro power cgfi. I did test the outer the microwave plugs into and it was good. I took all the neutral and ground wires off the buss bars and reinstalled them.

OP
OP
Lonewolf

Lonewolf

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired from IBM
I Kept getting a "Pro Power left breaker in bed tripped" warning shortly after I picked up the truck. I reset the breaker 3 or 4 times but still got the msg every time I started the truck. I reset the breaker on the dash and turned the Pro Power off and on a couple times at the dash switch and it's been fine since then. I don't know if it will help with your problem but worth a try.
tried that but did it all over again today. No luck

OP
OP
Lonewolf

Lonewolf

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired from IBM
Yeah I haven't even tried the hot water tank, the refrigerator works and the furnace. But the AC or Microwave trip the pro power CGFI

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Are you plugging in to the 240V/30A or 120V/20A receptacle? What is the wattage/amp draw on the AC unit or microwave?

OP
OP
Lonewolf

Lonewolf

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired from IBM
Are you plugging in to the 240V/30A or 120V/20A receptacle? What is the wattage/amp draw on the AC unit or microwave?
I am plugging into the 240v 30a receptical with a dog bone to step down to 120v 30a. The microwave is 900watts. Can't find it on the a.c. so I will need to find the book. But things have changed. I was double checking the connections again and the pro power was acting the same. Then the cgfi tripped and now it trips regardless of which breaker I turn on other then main power.

JasonG03

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Sales
I had a ground fault on mine it was a wiring issue on my RV it was the hot water tank wiring I have read reports of people having hot water tanks that the element was burnt out due to leaving them on when empty and that can cause a grounding issue as well it is most likely not your truck and what it is powered to remember most generators do not have GFI so they will put power to your RV regardless whereas the truck is more particular.

JasonG03

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Sales
I am plugging into the 240v 30a receptical with a dog bone to step down to 120v 30a. The microwave is 900watts. Can't find it on the a.c. so I will need to find the book. But things have changed. I was double checking the connections again and the pro power was acting the same. Then the cgfi tripped and now it trips regardless of which breaker I turn on other then main power.
I had a ground fault on mine it was a wiring issue on my RV it was the hot water tank wiring I have read reports of people having hot water tanks that the element was burnt out due to leaving them on when empty and that can cause a grounding issue as well it is most likely not your truck and what it is powered to remember most generators do not have GFI so they will put power to your RV regardless whereas the truck is more particular.

OP
OP
Lonewolf

Lonewolf

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired from IBM
Thanks Jason, I had taken a break from trying to figure it out. I plan to get back at it tomorrow. What keeps throwing me is the symptoms keep changing. I think i will start by disconnecting the water heater wiring completely and go from there.
Sponsored