First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I spent a few hours today making this video. As some of you know, I have two F150 platinum’s. One with the interior work surface and one without. I took apart both today and swapped them between truck (and the locks too!). I did my best with this video. PLEASE watch it ALL THE WAY THROUGH before attempting this! This will make sure you don’t repeat some of my mistakes. As always, I am NOT responsible for any damage you cause to your vehicle.

I apologize if the video is out of focus or sloppy at times. I did 60 hours in less than five days at the hospital, night shift, and I did this video on three hours of sleep.

No lie, this was really nerve racking to do as I didn’t know what to expect and feared damaging the trucks.
I am utterly EXHAUSTED, so if you have any questions, I will do my best to reply in a timely fashion.

Again, WATCH ALL THE WAY THROUGH BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT THIS!

Unfortunately, I do not have part numbers for any of these items. But as you can see closely in the video, you too are pretty interchangeable and are very similar in construction.

Enjoy!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Madeinchina

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor, 2012 Mustang GT
Very nice job, thank you for the very detailed walkthrough. I don't know where I would source a work surface if the urge ever strikes in the future but its good to know that this video is available should the opportunity comes up. Enjoy your camping trip.

Sponsored

Cmeduna

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Velocity Blue
Occupation
Design Engineer
Hoping some of these work surfaces start popping up on the used market from wrecked stuff. Swap seems straight forward. Nice walkthrough, I'm sure I'll be back to watch it again when I pull the trigger on doing the swap.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
It looks like you could have simply exchanged the surface/covers (just the top parts) without exchanging the hinge mechanisms? You pointed out in the video that there is no difference between the support brackets. In other words, everything below the hinge is the same, so don't change that, just swap everything above the hinge. What am I missing?

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It looks like you could have simply exchanged the surface/covers (just the top parts) without exchanging the hinge mechanisms? You pointed out in the video that there is no difference between the support brackets. In other words, everything below the hinge is the same, so don't change that, just swap everything above the hinge. What am I missing?
Yes I realized this might be the case. But I didn’t know that until I took it all apart and took it off. But idk if where the top part mounts is the same as I focused on where the bottom mounts to the truck.

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
So you own 2 Platinum's and a garage large enough to park them both in at the same time? You should have just payed someone to make the video :ROFLMAO:
Good write up (y)

Buddy

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Veteran
I was wondering if I could purchase the work station for my 2021 F150 King Ranch? The truck I bought has everything I wanted except for the work surface. Anyone know, and if so, got a part number or other info I would need to do this?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I was wondering if I could purchase the work station for my 2021 F150 King Ranch? The truck I bought has everything I wanted except for the work surface. Anyone know, and if so, got a part number or other info I would need to do this?
Check with your local dealer, but it may take you some time to find one that knows these new trucks well. Half the ones I spoke to had NO idea what I was talking about. I’m camping right now so uploading a diagram of the parts isn’t possible right now as I’m roaming. But the top part is probably what you need only. The bracket appears to be the same. You’ll need to remove the underside plastic (the same plastic I removed to access the locks) and you’ll see where the 4 bolts hold the top piece to the bracket. Probably no need to take apart all the plastic I did (I didn’t know obviously doing it all the first time). You’ll need to take this plastic off to access the lock top to swap it to the new IWS.

Buddy

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Veteran
Check with your local dealer, but it may take you some time to find one that knows these new trucks well. Half the ones I spoke to had NO idea what I was talking about. I’m camping right now so uploading a diagram of the parts isn’t possible right now as I’m roaming. But the top part is probably what you need only. The bracket appears to be the same. You’ll need to remove the underside plastic (the same plastic I removed to access the locks) and you’ll see where the 4 bolts hold the top piece to the bracket. Probably no need to take apart all the plastic I did (I didn’t know obviously doing it all the first time). You’ll need to take this plastic off to access the lock top to swap it to the new IWS.
Thanks for your input and the video you provided. You're right about "IF" the dealership knows what I'm talking about and how to install it....but I'll certainly ask. Have a good weekend.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Dumb question but for the work service to work dont you need the shifter to fold down? Do they fold down even if you dont get the work surface?

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dumb question but for the work service to work dont you need the shifter to fold down? Do they fold down even if you dont get the work surface?
I think all the shifters fold down regardless of whether you have the work service or not
Sponsored